Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ford's Comment On Modified Vehicles Vs. Warranty
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthr...&threadid=36035
what we already knew.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Don't have to even read it, I have it in writing from Ford not to get snow tires.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
2001 ZTS,Feb 2 2005, 01:36 PM Wrote:Don't have to even read it, I have it in writing from Ford not to get snow tires.
[right][snapback]82802[/snapback][/right]

WTF you got to be kidding.......
I'm having issues with that same crap, and with their Certified used car warentee b/s
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
2001 ZTS,Feb 2 2005, 02:36 PM Wrote:Don't have to even read it, I have it in writing from Ford not to get snow tires.

what was their logic behind that???
Car-less for the first time in years...
'01 Twilight Blue ZTS is gone...
'90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 15psi, 3" cat-back w/Turbo muffler, blah blah....is now gone too Sad
Marction,Feb 3 2005, 05:57 AM Wrote:
2001 ZTS,Feb 2 2005, 02:36 PM Wrote:Don't have to even read it, I have it in writing from Ford not to get snow tires.

[right][snapback]82989[/snapback][/right]

ford exec1: damn it the warranty cost on the focus is too high, what should we do

ford exec2: let's tell everyone NOT to get winter tires.. if people start stuffing them into ditches this winter we won't have to pay to fix them next year!

:ph34r:
How can "Ford" say that when the owners manual states not to use chains on a snow tire larger than 185/65/14.

DRyanC
2000 Black ZX3 (sold)
2007 Liquid Grey ZX5 ses (sold)
2007 CD Silver ZXW ses
2013 F150 crew xlt 4x4 blue flame
should be a sticky for newbies
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA
2001 ZTS,Feb 2 2005, 07:36 PM Wrote:Don't have to even read it, I have it in writing from Ford not to get snow tires.

wow I learn something new today. :ph34r:
2000 ZX3: KW coil-over/IceMan/FC UPD/Megaflow cat-back /energy bushing all over/Ported TB/home make ground wires

260000km and counting.....
I had asked various Ford dealers whether I could put LX steel wheels on my ZTS, I thought there may be a brake clearance issue (this was in May 01 when I was a newb) but they were of no help.

So I asked the same question of Ford customer service and got back (abreviated):

"Ford does not recommend changing tire/wheel size on our vehicles for the following reasons:

-odo/speedo error
-drivetrain load (tranny/engine)
-suspension problems
-steering problems
-braking problems"

So from that I gathered if I had any of the above problems they would blame the snow tires/wheels and I would have a fight in the case of a warranty claim. I changed the wheel regardless.

2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
-odo/speedo error
Possible
WTF?
-suspension problems
hmmm
-steering problems
aligment
-braking problems"
WTF?
2000 ZX3: KW coil-over/IceMan/FC UPD/Megaflow cat-back /energy bushing all over/Ported TB/home make ground wires

260000km and counting.....
"2. Changing the tire/wheel size changes drivetrain loading:

-larger tires/wheels increase loading and smaller tires/wheels decrease
-an increase in loading on the transmission, driveshaft, differential, axle and other driveline components may have an adverse effect on durability"

The whole letter is like that. Don't forget this was at the height of the Explorer roll over stuff. They weren't going to recomend any change even if the stock (wide) A/S tires were down right scary in snow compared to winter tires.

You could just see it though if I went in for a CV joint gone bad or something:

"Well sir, we submitted your warranty claim and it was rejected due to the fact that you were using wheels and tires other than those which came with your car as per Ford's letter of 30 May 01"

2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA
Funny how the SVTF owners manuel suppliment DOES recommend snow tires and even lists the appropriate smaller rims to use!
*steve gets in accident*

*runs frantically around car with 8mm ratchet trying to remove brakes, supercharger, bodykit, etc. *
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

2001 ZTS,Feb 3 2005, 10:38 AM Wrote:I had asked various Ford dealers whether I could put LX steel wheels on my ZTS, I thought there may be a brake clearance issue (this was in May 01 when I was a newb) but they were of no help.

So I asked the same question of Ford customer service and got back (abreviated):

"Ford does not recommend changing tire/wheel size on our vehicles for the following reasons:

-odo/speedo error
-suspension problems
-steering problems
-braking problems"

So from that I gathered if I had any of the above problems they would blame the snow tires/wheels and I would have a fight in the case of a warranty claim. I changed the wheel regardless.
[right][snapback]83051[/snapback][/right]

ah...ok...I thought there was a catch...the changing of the wheel size (which is a pretty f'ing lame catch).

so, in theory, stock size snow tires are ok (although significantly more expensive than a smaller, narrower size, unfortunately).
'90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 15psi, 3" cat-back w/Turbo muffler, blah blah....is now gone too Sad
Marction,Feb 3 2005, 08:50 PM Wrote:[right][snapback]83051[/snapback][/right]

ah...ok...I thought there was a catch...the changing of the wheel size (which is a pretty f'ing lame catch).

so, in theory, stock size snow tires are ok (although significantly more expensive than a smaller, narrower size, unfortunately).
[right][snapback]83154[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

True but I was asking about OEM 14" steel wheels off a LX Focus and they were still being retarded.

I was even going to pay the $75/wheel for Ford Focus steelies and what ever tires they were willing to supply at a no doubt inflated cost.

Their loss, I just gave my money to Steelcase and got 15" steel wheels right of the Ford Mondeo assembly line and Hakka's all round. I have never considered Ford as a place to buy wheels and/or tires ever since and never will.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
fair enough...I didn't mean that what they said was ok...just that it would be even more ridiculous if they said that snow tires aren't allowed PERIOD...that's just dumb.

although it's not that much less stupid that they don't allow the stock tires on what really amounts to the same freakin' car, lol...
Marction,Feb 3 2005, 12:57 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]82989[/snapback][/right]

It's Ford you check your logic at the front desk :)

Laterz :)
1972 Austin Mini | 1989 Mini30 | 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ford Extended Warranty Canadian ST 16 7,305 05-02-2008, 06:12 AM
Last Post: paulicat
  Wtf Comment..... S2 13 3,771 12-11-2004, 05:30 AM
Last Post: FociS8nt