Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cai On An Spi?
Hey all,

I was on ebay and I found a few CAI's on there for cheap for the focus however they just post the year of the car and say it will bolt on to a 2000-2004 but they don't specify engine. I was wondering if there is anything special that has to be done to bolt a CAI onto a SPI based focus?
Join the Sedan Faction - You know you want to.
I have see a few ppl who have done it. If i come buy the posts i will post it in here.
if anything you could head to home depot and get things to fit that way
Save your money! IMO CAI not worth the big money people pay for them!
To be honest. I didnt find any difference between the two. Even in hot weather lol. Im serious. In +30 - 40 weather your car is going to run like s**t anyway. Pullies helped the most I found.

I went from short ram to cai then I decided to go back with short ram.
would doing all the air box mods (Resonator removal, bulk air restrictor removal) as well as a K&N drop in filter be the best for me then? I figured I am opening up the exhaust alot more then that pinner system they have so I best maximize the air flow to compensate for the new exhaust.

These pullies you speak of....I wonder if doing that mod would void my warranty?
i wish i remembered what the spi engine bay looked like..
Yeah, underdrive pulleys would void your warranty. They're something I'm still considering though.

The airbox mod is a minor one, removing the restrictor in the snorkel inlet of the airbox probably helps more. The resonator mod adds some nice noise under throttle and the car "feels" more responsive to throttle changes, but that's probably just me. The K+N panel filter is the road I went, and it has single-handedly raised my fuel economy to the reported max in the city and on the highway, and above. I repeat this one to death, but we averaged 42MPG over 5500KMs driving to the East Coast and back last summer, and that includes city driving and driving through the mountains, plus a few "above the limits" blasts for good measure :rolleyes:

I've been starting to read/hear rumours you can mod the Zetec K+N FIPK kit quite easily to fit onto the SPI stock throttle body. Not sure how it is done to be honest, but it would be a welcome change for sure. I'll post if I find out more about it.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
You can fit any ZETEC intake on a SPI.

I have a AEM CAI installed on my SPI. The onlu thing you have to do is to put a rubber reducer between your TB and the CAI. 5$ at Home Hardware! :D

<<<Yeah, it's a Duratec. 2.3L. Want to have a go and see who walks and who rides?>>>
Focus ST , Not Stock [Image: vb_angel.gif]
Any Zetec intake can be used on the SPI once you upgrade the SPI's TB to an aftermarket one (FC).
El Diablo,Jan 7 2005, 10:25 AM Wrote:You can fit any ZETEC intake on a SPI.

I have a AEM CAI installed on my SPI. The onlu thing you have to do is to put a rubber reducer between your TB and the CAI. 5$ at Home Hardware! :D
[right][snapback]77796[/snapback][/right]

That's pretty cool! What was the part number / description on the rubber reducer you bought specifically?

Thanks

NOS

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Jan 7 2005, 09:19 AM Wrote:Yeah, underdrive pulleys would void your warranty. They're something I'm still considering though.

[right][snapback]77789[/snapback][/right]

Might wanna explain this a little. If you put pulleys on your car, and you lose a wheel due to a faulty wheel bearing/wheel nuts or whatever they cannot deny you warranty work because you have pulleys, unless the belt came off your pulley, wrapped around the wheel and screwed off the nuts and your wheel fell off. :lol: :rolleyes:

They have to PROVE the part you added on caused the problem.

I've had a UDP on my car for that past 2.5 years and had ZERO problems.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Which one you got man? One or Two piece?
S2,Jan 7 2005, 12:09 PM Wrote:Which one you got man?&nbsp; One or Two piece?
[right][snapback]77826[/snapback][/right]

AF/x 1 set pulley with belt.

B)
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,Jan 7 2005, 10:17 AM Wrote:
S2,Jan 7 2005, 12:09 PM Wrote:Which one you got man?  One or Two piece?
[right][snapback]77826[/snapback][/right]

AF/x 1 set pulley with belt.

B)
[right][snapback]77828[/snapback][/right]

Bastard!! That's the one I want.... looking at trading the FC 2 piece for the AFX....

Anyway, enough thread jacking....
S2,Jan 7 2005, 02:37 PM Wrote:Any Zetec intake can be used on the SPI once you upgrade the SPI's TB to an aftermarket one (FC).
[right][snapback]77800[/snapback][/right]

Hum, no.

Like i said, i have a stock TB on my SPI and a AEM CAI fit.....

:rolleyes:

NOS2Go4MeT Wrote:hat's pretty cool! What was the part number / description on the rubber reducer you bought specifically?

Thanks

NOS

I just use a 2 inch straight fitting. It's in rubber. I think a have a picture of that somewhere :) I will check this !

I also have a UDP on my SPI and no problem with it. My dealer don't care about it....

<<<Yeah, it's a Duratec. 2.3L. Want to have a go and see who walks and who rides?>>>
Focus ST , Not Stock [Image: vb_angel.gif]
What is the size of the stock throttle body?
It's either 52mm or 55mm. Pretty sure it's 55mm though.

EDIT - might be as above, I just checked Steeda.ca and I see that the aftermarket TB is 60mm for the SPI, which is equiv. to the stock Zetec size. The aftermarket &quot;mainstream&quot; TB for the Zetec is 65mm, so I don't think we have a 52mm TB.

Feel free to correct me with evidence though.

Stock Trottle Body Sizes....

SPI = 53 mm
Zetec = 57 mm
SVT = 64 mm
s**t, 4mm? Is that all? Hose clamp and Zetec FIPK, here we come! :D