Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wastegates?
Just doing some research on wastegates for a turbo setup and am curious as to what you would choose and why?

Thanks.
Sorry. What I mean by choose. Would you do an internal or external wastegate.
My T28 came with an internal wastegate which I'm going to use. I'm not sure of the benefits of using an external wastegate over an internal wastegate, expecially if the turbo your going to use has the internal wastegate.

I'm sticking with the internal until I see some potential problems with that.

Correct me if im wrong. But if some one were to get an internal wastegate could you get by without using a a boost controller and just using the springs.... sorry if im way wrong. still learning?

EDIT: BLAH I mean external wastegate! Since thats what Tom offers...
This is what Turbo Tom told me.

Quote:I will only build turbo kits with external waste gats for better controle and adjustability

The only boost issues i have ever has has been with internal waste gates

Tom

--------------------
http://www.focus-power.com

For all your Focus Power needs
that's basicly it right there.
most turbos that come with integral wastegates are harder to adjust
external wastegates are easier to adjust and also more accurate.

plus there is the cool factor of having an extrenal wastegate that dumps out the side of the front bumper a-la N1 and/or Importdrag style.... really cool if you are running pig rich and spit flames out the side of your front bumper!
that'll scare the ricers away! :rolleyes:
I think this mainly applies to if you would like to adjust the boost from time to time, like street mode vs. track mode, etc.

If your not running large amounts of boost where overboost could damage your engine I think an internal wastgate is fine. But this from someone with a turbo in a box to scared to install it :rolleyes:
Its hard to say. Im still debating on how much upgrading I plan on doing. LOL Right now Im just wanting 200whp and low psi. Its hard to say when the time comes if I want to keep it like that or if I want to upgrade lol... I wont know that answer till the time comes.

Im also trying to find diagrams of external wastegate setups. Just trying to get a picture in my head of how it connects up.
Flames wont fly out of a wastegate....
Out of a dumppipe from the turbo though yes...

Edit.. Oh and if your going for low boost with a small turbo.. internal is just finnne...
Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
you can use tial 38mm external wastgate ,to change boost pressure you can get different springs to control boost.

The main advantage of external wastegate is no boost greep,faster turbo response , good control at higher boost pressure, remote location(not connected to the turbo turbine). B)
External will be needed at higher hp numbers, like 300. the problem with internal is once boost is applyed to the diaphram over comes spring pressure the flap starts to open, this could be as little 7 psi on a 15 psi set wastegate. External you have a boost on the top side of the wastegate, so it holds pressure in side the gate tell you boost level is met, higher then what the spring it set for. And there much more accrete at setting boost levels, any one that has been in a srt4 knows that the boost is always up and down at wot. tis is part to the computer controlling it and a very week spring in the wastegate, 6psi.
<a href="http://www.apexmodified.ca" target="_blank" class="postlink">[Image: logo_phpBB.gif]

If NISMO is for Nissan Motor Sports, Then HOMO must be for Honda
Chris is right external wastegates are really only needed on high boost setups or on cars with limited space. I've run up to 28PSI on an internal wastegate with no creep but that was on a new turbo and wastegate. If you’re running boost on a motor that’s near it's limit any creep or a failure would most likely lead to a catastrophic failure. I've spiked over 30psi but my motor won't fail from a few hits of really bad detonation.

I know they say that internal wastegates lead to slower spool but I've never noticed that much of a difference in spool time. I can still make full boost at the moment 28PSI at 3200RPM which is more than I need on my setup. I will be changing to an external wastegate this spring a 46mm Tial but that's only because the header I'm going to use only comes with an external setup.

In the end it comes down to what you want for boost response, max power size of turbo etc.

I just ordered my new turbo for my street XR a T3/T4 with a 52trim compressor and .63 A/R hot side. It will push me towards 300HP without any head work and I'll still run an internal setup. I should hit full boost 20psi at about 3200 -3400RPM which is fine. If I was building a turbo focus I would be looking at a much smaller something like a GT28 which would produce fantastic boost response and still make 260-280ish HP.
I have a few cars.

One for my dog.
One that has no roof.
One that looks good parked at the golf course.
One that is being rebuilt by a guy named Nero..... will it ever be done?
Ya. The T25 or T28 turbos is what I like..
ZX3TUNR,Jan 8 2005, 12:36 PM Wrote:Ya. The T25 or T28 turbos is what I like..
[right][snapback]77988[/snapback][/right]

i got the t25, its itty bitty :P
-Will update mods when its all put back together...
1998 nissan 200sx 2.0L Turbo
Check it out here
GT28 is were its at, i have a GT35R on the way for the SRT
<a href="http://www.apexmodified.ca" target="_blank" class="postlink">[Image: logo_phpBB.gif]

If NISMO is for Nissan Motor Sports, Then HOMO must be for Honda
My wategates always open right up after a case of Lucky Lager.