Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ah Screw It Already.... I'm Getting An Svt Maf
so I've been doing some researching and stuff... can anyone confirm that the focus SVT MAF housing is the same external size as the stock focus MAF?

After having troules with the aftermarket MAF crap, I'm thinking I could easily just get by with an SVT MAF for the 190- 205 HP I will be making in the near term, and since the internal diameter is 70mm, I should be able to just swap sensors in the future, save on fabbing, and get something that is relatively parts-available.

thoughts? suggestions?

Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Sour cream glazed....

Always.
ANTHONYD,Sep 10 2004, 07:47 PM Wrote:Sour cream glazed....

Always.
that covers the 'favourite doughnut' section of this Q&A, now how about the MAF?

What measurements do you need? I'll get them for you. Pics? Whatever you need.
[Image: 860doigiveadamn2yy.gif]

Prolly Is not a word
actually, colour me retarded...

it's a 3.5" inlet.. and since the vortech SVT kit and Zetec kit come with the same air filter and flex hose, I guess it's safe to say the parts are the same dimensions.

:P

just a little tip...if you order an svt focus mass air flow from the dealership, it doesnt come with the housing, it just comes with the sensor. I think you have to order the whole airbox to get the housing. I know this because I have gone through this already.

SVT Motor Swap into 2000 zx3 with 5spd.
14.9 @ 93MPH
"I am going to run 5's .... I am planning on installing a rocket engine!"
I to had that told to me. When installed my CAI a long time ago I dropped the sensor and cracked it (good thing my mums cars went intot he shop and her rental car was a focus lol)
Good topic Steve. So sad that the maf didn't do what was intended. Let me know what you work out with the SVT maf as we are looking at changing ours sometime soon.
I know I can atleast save us 15% if it is through FORD.

Not much, but better than the doughnut wisecrack.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
that's interesting guys...thanks for the info!

I'll let you know what I end up with... though I'm hoping on the full housing.

The funny thing is that I feel like I'm going to turn into the big Maf Avenger™ when all is said and done... To find the right part, that handles the proper amount of air and fit the proper dimensions for the supercharger kit... I know people have 'been' through all this before, and 'have the right answer'... but in practice, it's just not the case.

I swear, I hope I'm not boring everyone, and I'm just documenting all this so hopefully others won't have to jump the massive hoops as such. It sucks spending the money and time on things that don't work as advertised.

If you want a ranger maf you can have it for free.

I dunno if that helps though.
Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
Damn Puppet for all the time you have put into this I would have just swapped over to a Map sensor.

Why not just call someone and have them make you exactly what you want?
I have a few cars.

One for my dog.
One that has no roof.
One that looks good parked at the golf course.
One that is being rebuilt by a guy named Nero..... will it ever be done?
Thanks for the offer T-Dot, it's tempting, that's for sure :) I might grab it from ya to keep my options open.

Euro Ford Fan,Sep 11 2004, 01:29 PM Wrote:Damn Puppet for all the time you have put into this I would have just swapped over to a Map sensor.

Why not just call someone and have them make you exactly what you want?

EFF... I know, this has been a major pain in the ass... my goal was to have a car with stock computer, available parts, yet runs reliable... if I could swap to a map sensor without having to buy a standalone, I would do it.

As for calling someone to make exactly what I want, I did that.. I got the pro-M 65mm MAF which is just a ranger MAF housing with calibrated focus electronics (pried open, then hastily reassembled), that wasn't sealed (you could see through the gaps between the housing and electronics)...

that has a whole 2 weeks worth of warranty...

So I'm just going to get the SVT part, then if I need more HP, I'll just swap out sample tubes.. it will be my own aftermarket 70mm MAF ;)

and then I'll make them and sell them and make MILLIONS!

and then I'll make them and sell them and make MILLIONS!

if it works, i want one
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
boost til'bust,Sep 10 2004, 09:5 Wrote:just a little tip...if you order an svt focus mass air flow from the dealership, it doesnt come with the housing, it just comes with the sensor. I think you have to order the whole airbox to get the housing. I know this because I have gone through this already.
Hey DP:

It just so happens I have an entire SVT airbox but all I need is the bottom half to allow the SVT snorkel mod. You can have the top half for the princely sum of a 26oz bottle of white rum.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
2001 ZTS,Sep 13 2004, 01:42 PM Wrote:Hey DP:

It just so happens I have an entire SVT airbox but all I need is the bottom half to allow the SVT snorkel mod. You can have the top half for the princely sum of a 26oz bottle of white rum.
And two Baltic hookers.
2001 ZTS,Sep 13 2004, 01:42 PM Wrote:
boost til'bust,Sep 10 2004, 09:5 Wrote:just a little tip...if you order an svt focus mass air flow from the dealership, it doesnt come with the housing, it just comes with the sensor. I think you have to order the whole airbox to get the housing. I know this because I have gone through this already.
Hey DP:

I find it odd that the MAF housing would be shipped separately from the sensor itself.

The SVT cobraghtning part came in it's massive 95mm housing.

If you want to take a look at the airbox assembly.. if there's a tubular part in there that has a 70mm inside diameter, with 3.5" inlet and 3" outlet, and is about 4.5-5" long with a hole cut in the top, I just may need that piece... and you get your bottle of rum gladly :)

darkpuppet,Sep 13 2004, 04:27 PM Wrote:
2001 ZTS,Sep 13 2004, 01:42 PM Wrote:
Hey DP:

I find it odd that the MAF housing would be shipped separately from the sensor itself.

The SVT cobraghtning part came in it's massive 95mm housing.

If you want to take a look at the airbox assembly.. if there's a tubular part in there that has a 70mm inside diameter, with 3.5" inlet and 3" outlet, and is about 4.5-5" long with a hole cut in the top, I just may need that piece... and you get your bottle of rum gladly :)
it may sound odd...but as I said, I already went through it. I bought one for my car and it did not come with the housing.
SVT Motor Swap into 2000 zx3 with 5spd.
14.9 @ 93MPH
"I am going to run 5's .... I am planning on installing a rocket engine!"
Puppet my friend I really feel for you.

Have you ever tried going back to the show to try and recoupe some of your costs?

Because I can understand spending some money but the amounts you are spending are getting ridiculous don't you think.
Official s**t Disturber of Focuscanada.net!!!

PROUD FOUNDER of the Groß Oberlippenbart Klub
Best to not go down that route now, I'll reserve comment and stick to what I said waaaaaaaay back in April.
I have a few cars.

One for my dog.
One that has no roof.
One that looks good parked at the golf course.
One that is being rebuilt by a guy named Nero..... will it ever be done?