Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi Flow Cat
We are looking at putting in a high flow cat. Any suggestions as to make and price.

Availability in Canada or do I have to ship it from US?

What kid of improvements am I looking at with this product.

Any input is appreciated.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
High flow cats you have three options:

1. Random Technologies Click here for picture and price
2. Focus Central Click here for picture and price
3. Use your current cat's flanges and get one made (I think Noyz Boyz does this for around three hundred canadian)

You can also get long tube headers and put a cat on after that.

Or go no cat and just long tubes.....or got shorties with a off-road pipe.

You will definately notice the difference good upgrade.

Hope this helps
Official s**t Disturber of Focuscanada.net!!!

PROUD FOUNDER of the Groß Oberlippenbart Klub
Thanks this helps tonnes.

Next beer on me.

meford4u: I have some experience with lots of different setup, and from what I know about you. I would say, you wanna run a long tube header, an oversize flex pipe, then find yourself a Hermoff highfolw cat for a 5.9 liter or so that has matching ID's to your exaust tubing. if you have a 2.5 exaust, order a hermoff highflow cat for a 5.9 liter with 2.5 tubing. then, you go and cut after the flange after the flex pipe, like 2 to 3 inch after, then you remove as much tubing as the cat is long, then you weld the cat right in the exaust line.

from this setup, you will benefit from an underbody cat and since you have a supercharger, the cat will still work wonder and get warm realy quick.

you might wanna also on the side run colder plugs and mild cams and cam gears.

maybe in winter a a port and polish kit, I know I will... B)

-Marc
------------------------------------------------
-1991 Nissan Pulsar GTI-R
-2002 Red SVT focus # 2262 - sold
-2000 silver ZX3 - sold
That sounds wicked. I actually talked to him this week about moving the cat under the car, but he wasn't sure if he wanted to spend the money or not. We talked about eliminating the cat, for now, and just putting in a flex tube, but upon further review we found out that would cause havoc with the O2 sensor down the tailpipe--I think that's what he said-- and cause us all kinds of problems.
The car already has stage3 cams and heads, so no need to go digging there. At this point in time he is really just trying to solve the rich at idle, lean under load problem. He felt that if he had to take the OEM cat out, then what would it costs to just toss the old cat and put in a hi flow. Truthfully, I like your idea better, will toss it off him and spend his money from there.
Moving the cat under the car won't cause any O2 sensor problems downstream will it?
The car has a Focus tuning/scorpion stainless catback exhaust--2 1/2" I believe with a JBA cat forward short header.

Great info guys.

If you have any problems with the CEL because of the O2 sensor just talk to Ben aka BlackZX3 he will hook you up with a cheater. I have had mine now for over a year and no CEL......

If I was to do it all over again I would go with the long tubes and the cat right after...sometimes you will and learn.

Shorties love to eat cats...I wonder if they are made in China. :lol:

Magnaflow also makes a hi-flow cat aswell!
Silver 05 ZX4 SES

RPM Black 501 18X7, Falken 215/35/18's, MBRP Stainless Cat-Back Exhaust Gen 2, FocusSport Header and Flex, Eibach Sportlines, Eibach Struts & Shocks, Eibach Sway Bars, AEM Cold Intake, FocusSport Strut Bar, Pioneer Head Unit, Boston 6.5 for Doors, Speedhut White Face Gauges, Momo Pedals, Crystal Clear Bumper Lenses, Niken Shorty Antena, Tint. RS Widebody Kit Ready for 2010...!

Fat Guy in Small Car...
LOFOCI WAGON,May 22 2004, 10:44 AM Wrote:Magnaflow also makes a hi-flow cat aswell!
A direct bolt on....I don't think so unless I am missing something

I had the custom job done at Noyz Boyz, 6L high flow cat, $400-450 installed in about 2.5 hours plus warranty on the work. They did a superb job, HIGHLY recommend those guys. :D the O2 and EGR where essentially untouched.
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA
meford4U

forget about keeping those shortie headers, seriously, with a supercharger you gotta match the power in high peak, order focus sport 4 in 1 and go buy a hermoff cat, it will cost you 100$ and you weld it yourself, you cannot beat that price.

-Marc
-2000 silver ZX3 - sold
He likes your idea, just has to save a little money for the job. He looked at the FS and the steeda header. He likes the set up of the steeda better as a 4-2-1 header , placing a flex pipe after the header if needed and then welding in a hi flow mustang cat under the car. Sounds like a better investment than replacing the cat at 300US.

So coming soon to a for sale sign near you is one shorty header. When he gets the money, it's going on the sale rack.

Thanks for your help Marc and Papa.

just picked up a Universal high flow for my Downpipe...2.5"....$89.99 + Tax
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
I said 4 in 1 focus Sport header since I wanted to make sure you would not buy a focus central 4-2-1 since they are crappy quality overall and lots of peps had problems with there crappy welds, and not aligning EGR bung.

if you ask me, I dont like focus central products, they are very mediocre quality and have no concistencie... maybe beside the fact that they all break one day or the other.

Make sure the steeda 4-2-1 is not a focus central header rebadge.

Its always a pleasure to help you. ;)

-Marc
-2000 silver ZX3 - sold
Also consider the SVT header kit from Ford Racing. The same 4-2-1 header that comes on the SVT(designed by Cosworth), a heatshield, new dipstick and EGR tubbing. I've ordered one which I'm going to have ceramic coated so I don't have to use the hetshield, and I've purchased a used SVT flexpipe and cat.
french_connection,May 24 2004, 01:46 AM Wrote:I said 4 in 1 focus Sport header since I wanted to make sure you would not buy a focus central 4-2-1 since they are crappy quality overall and lots of peps had problems with there crappy welds, and not aligning EGR bung.

if you ask me, I dont like focus central products, they are very mediocre quality and have no concistencie... maybe beside the fact that they all break one day or the other.

Make sure the steeda 4-2-1 is not a focus central header rebadge.

Its always a pleasure to help you. ;)

-Marc
I thought the quality has greatly improved....no.

And isn't the 4-2-1 design a better one?

You have a super charger? What kit?

And you want to go with a cat? What engine? Zetec or Pzev or SVT?

My guess would be zetec, I would go with the R/T cat. Then install can be done by yourself.
I Have the 4-2-1 Race Header and I find the quality pretty dawm good. I don't know if they had a reputation of bad products but mine is 100% Mint ! Very nice add-on under the hood ! Might I add the the tone of your car changes into something you wouldn't expect.

I relocated a Magnaflow Universal Mirror Finish Hi-Flow cat under the car and relocated the 02 sensor Bung as well and it has yet to give me any problems.
I did the Hi-Flow converstion late last year but my Header has just recently been installed.

I strongly recommend a Hi-Flow cat to anyone. I had the deleted cat before and I found that having a hi-flow gives you way more mid-range power.

I'll try and take some pictures and post them next week. My car is going on a hoist so that I can install my Nitrous Feed line properly and swap my front and rear sway bars for good eibach ones :)

Steeda,

14.5@93 (ZEX Wet 55Shot)
Another option if you are interested in having the option of cat or no cat. Is that you can have a piece made for the tunnel under the car that can be taken out if you choose too. I talked with noyz boyz about doing this kind of installation and the quote I received for a high flow installed in this fashion was $200-$250. You can choose either a flanged bolt in design (same as how the flex bolts in) or you can go with the magnaflow slip over design.

2010 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T GT
2008 Jetta Sedan
2007 Colorado
2006 Jetta Wagon TDI (Totalled) (Monkey in the middle on 400)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart (Totalled)
2000 ZX3 (Darknights 2nd place Focus)
:ph34r: or you can get an exaust cut out that is activated from inside...

its basicly a "Y" pipe that mecanicaly open before the exaust so you get the sound and most of the performance of running no exaust... some people on the jet have this setup.
-2000 silver ZX3 - sold
Truthfully, I appreciate all the responses about hp, but the noise is really a top concern of mine. The car now has a very quiet and tolerable exhaust/header combination, and I would not want it to get much louder.

Would the race header, flex pipe and underbody cat addition mean that noise levels would increase? And if so, by how much?

After attending Dyno and talking with scooba steve, I think that's who it was, he was saying that his car is almost intolerable from the noise on the highway. This car is a daily driver.

And the neighbours--jeesh

Oh, and have you guys seen this??

http://www.marcymotorsport.com/html/part...xhaust.htm

the new 424 header Sounds interesting