Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wideband O2 Sensor Location Zetec header
I think I know the answer to this questions, but hopefully someone out there has a creative solution to this problem ... where to locate the sensor bung for my wideband on a stock Zetec header.

I don't want it after the cat due to inaccurate readings, but I don't want it too close to the engine as the high heat shortens the life of the Bosch sensor.

Right now I'm looking at placing it just above the flange to the cat (like the stock O2 sensor) and facing the prospects of replacing the sensor on a regular basis ... or not, I really only need it for tuning purposes ... other than that a failing sensor won't be a driveability problem, simply a less than accurate read out on the gauge.

Have I missed something ... is there an alternative?

TIA ... Ken.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
R we talking svt header or zetec? Svt will b fine at bottom flange. As its a really long header and I think its 18" away for n/a and 36 for f/i but should be fine$ my wideband is in my dp on my car which is a lot sooner then zetec flange on header
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
I did some WOT logs of sensor before and after CAT and it was about 2/10ths off the A/F. Wasn't really that bad, this is once the engine was warm. Before it was warmed up the wideband readouts looked way off.

What I would do is use a blockoffplate for the EGR, grind off the EGR port on the CAT and weld in a bung there for the wideband. I don't have a pic of the stock cat here but that to me is the easiest. I think in the header is real tight to put a bung in to get accurate readings. you want it slightly down from the connector to ensure your reading the a/f from all cylinders.

Also FYI: SVT header will not work well at the bottom flange, due to the collector design down there.
(06-14-2010, 12:58 AM)hardk0re Wrote: I did some WOT logs of sensor before and after CAT and it was about 2/10ths off the A/F. Wasn't really that bad, this is once the engine was warm. Before it was warmed up the wideband readouts looked way off.

What I would do is use a blockoffplate for the EGR, grind off the EGR port on the CAT and weld in a bung there for the wideband. I don't have a pic of the stock cat here but that to me is the easiest. I think in the header is real tight to put a bung in to get accurate readings. you want it slightly down from the connector to ensure your reading the a/f from all cylinders.

Also FYI: SVT header will not work well at the bottom flange, due to the collector design down there.

Thanks guys ... and Jamie it's the Zetec header, otherwise I think I'd have more options ... hadn't thought of blocking off the EGR because the Jackson racing has the fittings for that ... might also work to lower IAT's ... I can't picture how much further down that would be though
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
I think I have a block off plate kicking around if you want it.