Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
this years (hopefully) SVT build
tis' the season and iv got my list build. So far on the car is full suspension/handling (springs, shocks/struts, sways, tower braces, rims, tires, etc) and basic power adders (AEM CAI, pullies etc) but after some thought and planning if put together a build list and some community feed back would be awsome:

Balance stock crankshaft (1 gram+- to .5 gram +-)
Eagal rods
CP pistons (either 8.5:1 or 9:1)
Clevite engine bearings
.027" over bore
Cometic headgasket
ARP hardware
SPEC alum flywheel and clutch
Qualif ATB diff
exhaust cam gear
Replace all gaskets/seals
FSwerks turbo kit

Im on the fence about the stock SVT head. Iv heard it flows pretty well and i dont want to mess around with something thats good enough out the hole.
The intake manifold is another issue, but iv read that if you swap out the rubber components for silicone it will handle a fair amount of boost
I have also read that the Mini Cooper diesel is the same Getrag as the cooper S/SVT but with better gearing to take advantage of the torque, if thats not the case i was wondering if anybody knows how much and were i can get shot peening done on the internals of the stock trans

Unlike most people, i have no XXXhp goal, i want a build solid bottom end thats reliable. pretty much the internals of the trans and the intake mani are the blocking points. Any feed back and advice would be much appreciated!
looks like a solid start! now have you priced it all out because it hurts LOL
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
(10-19-2010, 04:16 AM)GFXjamie Wrote: looks like a solid start! now have you priced it all out because it hurts LOL

i can get the crank balance, boring/honing, hardware, bearings, block hot tanked, deck and head milled for about $1500 or so, the FS kit is TBA as you know and the rest is pretty much gonna be coming from CFM lol
Not sure if the SVT can be re-sleeved, but it might be something to look into.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Are you sure you want to go lower comp? Unless your going to be pushing crazy boost i'd stick with 10:1 or something like that... I know running 9.5:1 in my svt I lost 40-50whp over what most are putting down on stock compression and same psi.

Just my 2cents.
(10-19-2010, 09:15 AM)Oscar The Grouch Wrote: Not sure if the SVT can be re-sleeved, but it might be something to look into.

Its a cast iron block, so i wont need to sleeve it unless it do some mad over boring (i believe .03 is the MAX)

(10-19-2010, 12:27 PM)hardk0re Wrote: Are you sure you want to go lower comp? Unless your going to be pushing crazy boost i'd stick with 10:1 or something like that... I know running 9.5:1 in my svt I lost 40-50whp over what most are putting down on stock compression and same psi.

Just my 2cents.

Well of course running low comp pistons is going to net less HP then running 10:1 comp with the same PSI, but 10:1 is to high for running reliable boost. Its pushing the limits of detonation and engine knock. The SVT bottom end is only reliable up to 13 psi or so, but if i run 8.5 or 9 i can run 15+ psi, but that all depends on how much boost the plastic manifold will handle, which is the toss up right now lol
to settle this once and for all...

THE MOTOR ISNT LIMITED TO A CERTAIN PSI, ITS LIMITED TO A TORQUE AND HP RATING DUE TO CYLINDER PRESSURE. A GT3582 @ 10 PSI WILL BLOW THE PISS OUTTA IT BUT A GT28RS AT 20 WONT.

there i got it all out. its all about how much power your making and a SVT can easily break 300whp on stock internals. each turbo is a different size and flows more air so you cannot base a motor holding on PSI.

(10-20-2010, 06:41 AM)GFXjamie Wrote: to settle this once and for all...

THE MOTOR ISNT LIMITED TO A CERTAIN PSI, ITS LIMITED TO A TORQUE AND HP RATING DUE TO CYLINDER PRESSURE. A GT3582 @ 10 PSI WILL BLOW THE PISS OUTTA IT BUT A GT28RS AT 20 WONT.

there i got it all out. its all about how much power your making and a SVT can easily break 300whp on stock internals. each turbo is a different size and flows more air so you cannot base a motor holding on PSI.

This is true, when i say psi numbers i always have a particular turbo in mind, that is to say if we both run the same turbo, but i can run 18 psi and you can only run 13, i will obviously make more power IF everything else is set up accordingly (and ignoring max flow rates of the turbo, etc). Random, but I know stock VW turbos peak @ somewhere 22psi (older 1.8T's i believe) but they cant run near that when they do big turbo upgrade for the above reasons lol. Sorry i came of as a noob lol
theres a big difference between VW's and ford or anything for that matter, its apples to oranges. the factory 1.8T's have a k03 turbo which is the size of an apple. they can go up to 400whp on stock motor no problem some get up to 500 with big turbo upgrades (i have friends in the VW scene)

john on FF is running like 350whp on stock SVT bottom end. tune it right, buy the right set up and you dont have to waste thousands on a motor. the SVT is reliable, just have a proper sized turbo that doesnt come on with a lot of torque to fast. change intake manifold to silicone couplers and your good. top speed kit and done.

(10-20-2010, 07:20 AM)GFXjamie Wrote: theres a big difference between VW's and ford or anything for that matter, its apples to oranges. the factory 1.8T's have a k03 turbo which is the size of an apple. they can go up to 400whp on stock motor no problem some get up to 500 with big turbo upgrades (i have friends in the VW scene)

john on FF is running like 350whp on stock SVT bottom end. tune it right, buy the right set up and you dont have to waste thousands on a motor. the SVT is reliable, just have a proper sized turbo that doesnt come on with a lot of torque to fast. change intake manifold to silicone couplers and your good. top speed kit and done.

I wasn't comparing VW to ford, just agreeing with you about turbo size correlation to psi on an engine and giving an example. My own personal experiences with VW is mk1 and mk2, with a handful of friends running mk4s. The only other manufacture i have any engine experiences with is Nissan, and thats only with the SR20 and RB20/25.
Im not here to argue with anyone about there experiences, because we all have our own, which is why i want to build this engine to make safe and reliable power and the list iv made will allow me to comfortably do so. That being said, iv read both good and bad things about the bottom end, depending on what is trying to be accomplished. Its the 10:1 compression that worries me the most, all the other turbo cars iv worked on run anywhere between 8:1 to 9.5:1.
I do appreciate your input, it gives me another angle to look at, just dont think im trying to start a pissing contest or look like a know-it-all, im merely taking my other experiences and trying to apply it here with this
O I hear ya man, was really trying to give some good advice because if your going for lower hp numbers there just isn't a real need right and why bother spending un needed money. That's all.

Ur list is a great start, the only thing would be what size of turbo were you planning on going with from fswerks? If you are building the motor, I suggest the 2871r as it has more potential. Had I bought my setup new I wud of gone with it for sure to keep low end torque down and be more streetable and less wheel spin so low down.

(10-20-2010, 10:10 AM)GFXjamie Wrote: O I hear ya man, was really trying to give some good advice because if your going for lower hp numbers there just isn't a real need right and why bother spending un needed money. That's all.

Ur list is a great start, the only thing would be what size of turbo were you planning on going with from fswerks? If you are building the motor, I suggest the 2871r as it has more potential. Had I bought my setup new I wud of gone with it for sure to keep low end torque down and be more streetable and less wheel spin so low down.

This build is more of a learning experience/something to do sorta thing. Like i said iv done a fair bit of work on other engines, but they have all been imports, boosted from factory and know for there response to modification. I like the idea of a killer focus lol.
As for turbo size from FSwerks, i hadn't really thought about it. I was gonna ask vic what i could run with this set-up to make some wicked power