Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Motor Mount Question
So I recently bought another ZX3 and had a problem with vibration when cold on idle. Anyway after replacing the rear mount it went away now its back. I was looking at the top mounts and the one on the passenger side under the cap seems bloated? My other ZX3 that is ok that mount is flat. My question is should it be flat or bloated
No one knows? Ok how do you know when a motor mount needs replacing?
(09-21-2012, 09:49 AM)muttsnutts Wrote: No one knows? Ok how do you know when a motor mount needs replacing?

Noise and vibration are usually the first signs. Also: with the hood open rev the engine aggressively and see how much fore and aft movement the engine exhibits. It should be minimal.

When the engine moves a lot you can sometimes feel it in the shifter linkage but that's tougher without a reference point.

The most visible mount on the passenger side is fluid filled - if the top cover can be easily depressed, or in my case gone all together LOL, then that mount needs to be replaced. IMO don't bother with aftermarket - every one I've used hasn't lasted very long; but then again I'm boosted so the mounts take a bigger beating.

Hope this helps
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
A bit late but anyways couldnt see any movement. I tookout the mount and checked it cracked and split all the way round Huh Bought replacement today and yeah night and day no more vibration Thanks for your help

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Motor Mount Bushings blue_light 2 1,646 11-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Last Post: blue_light