Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ordering XCAL 3, anything I should know?
I got my tax return and am going to pick up an Excal 3. Any tips or advice I should know?
The tunes are the key - so buy from someone you trust to provide good tunes.

(04-06-2013, 10:24 AM)Krusty Driver Wrote: I got my tax return and am going to pick up an Excal 3. Any tips or advice I should know?
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Ordering from Steeda Canada. Dealt with them before, read a couple good reviews on their tunes.
(04-06-2013, 03:03 PM)Krusty Driver Wrote: Ordering from Steeda Canada. Dealt with them before, read a couple good reviews on their tunes.

As much as I like Pat and want to support what he does for the Focus community, Pat's real forte is Mustang tuning. If it was a plain plug and play part I'd say go Steeda Canada all the way.

The tunes that will come with a Steeda x-cal are essentially "generic" Focus tunes downloaded from the SCT library but if you want a tune that has been the result of decades of pure Focus experience and will also come with a tuner who, if you need it, can tweak your tune to your car and specific circumstance, you would have to go with someone like Randy at FSWerks.

This can be a hot topic, so I encourage others to post up here - between the group here there is a lot of experience with both. And BTW, I have had a number of dyno tuning sessions with Steeda Canada - you can pm me for details if you wish.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
I went with Randy as well. Very knowledgeable when it comes to the focus. Responds to you very quickly when you have issues and will spend the time to resolve the issue right away.

Iv heard nothing but horror stories about steeda when it comes to the focus. If you have a mustang like ken said. They are the people to go too. Or Dasilva racing
2000 dark violet pearl zx3: eagle rods, je pistons, fidanza cam gears, arp studs, ford racing highlift valve springs, svt front/rear disc conversion, prothane total kit, fc 65mm throttle body Tial gt3071r, tial mvs wastegate, tial Q bov, top speed "street" manifold,down pipe and dump tube, greddy boost controller, siemens deka #61 injectorz, stage 4 bully clutch way to much more to list
Instagram @o_so_slo
steeda is useless, the two times ive delt with them have both been nightmares...im still waiting on a motormount I ordered about 3 - 4 weeks ago. Same thing happened with my sway bar, took forever...I've heard great things from Randy at FSWERKS, I've even talked to him via email and he seems waaaayyy more knowledgeable about tuning your focus than pat.

Not bashing steeda, just saying it wasn't a fun experience for simply ordering a sway bar and motor mount.
05 focus se SLAMMED! 5 speed tranny swap with exedy stage 3 hypersingle clutch, raceland coils, MBRP exhaust, FSWERKS stage 2 turbo kit. Massive adjusting camber, toe arms. Steeda's HUGE rear sway bar with upgraded links. Roll bar in the back no backseats. no radio and tons of gauges!

...because RACECAR! haha
Well looks like FSWerks it is. I've dealt with Steeda canada a number of times and never had an issue at all. Good guys, took care of me right.
Yea I got my tune from pat and let's just say I'm not very happy with it , I'm looking to get a another tune for my car so I might look at FSwerks also. Has anyone gotten a tune from turbotom on FF , I hear great things about him also.
2002 SVT Focus
Procharger @ 10psi , Clutch Masters Stage 3 Clutch,Stainless Borla Exhaust, Ebc dimpled + slotted rotors and brakes ,Russel Stainless brake lines , Koni adjustable shocks ,Eibach Sportline Springs , CFM short throw shifter , Euro Grill , CFM 65mm tb , Mach Headlights , MSD Coil ,SCT Dyno tune @ steeda , Volant Intake .  
-2003 SVT Wagon - Euro Conversion , currently retired
Svt side skirts , st170 front bumper , mach headlights , spax rear adj shocks , focus sport rear springs , volant CAI , Roof rack delete , Street edition Spoiler , MBRP exhaust , Eibach front swaybar , shorty shifter and lots more to come!                             .
2011 SES - daily driver will be modded soon .                                                                                                                                                        
I use my car as a dd so I use 87 octane to save some $$. Is there a tune to squeeze out more performance on the 87? I noticed on the FSWerks website they only tune for 91, will they even do an 87?
Yea but whats the point? Even when you run 91 you will see mpg increases. As for tuners fswerks and Tom(focuspower.com) are the best bet.
I run 91 in mine and my girlfriends PT and its really not that bad, I commute to hamilton from brantford every day and i fill up twice a week, on a 50ish Liter tank it cost me $70.00 to fill it from dead empty and squeezing a couple extra dollars in.
05 focus se SLAMMED! 5 speed tranny swap with exedy stage 3 hypersingle clutch, raceland coils, MBRP exhaust, FSWERKS stage 2 turbo kit. Massive adjusting camber, toe arms. Steeda's HUGE rear sway bar with upgraded links. Roll bar in the back no backseats. no radio and tons of gauges!

...because RACECAR! haha
Bad experience with steeda canada and last tune we had from them was on the zx3 and it was horrible. Now randy has his tune on it and perfect. Going custom when the supercharger is in, once again fswerks.

My new ST is randy tuned and so is my 2007 which has been pushed to the limits on stock motor and still runs strong.

I would not recommend turbo tom off FF. He is shady and sucks at tuning considering his length of experience. He still thinks 10.5afr @ WOT is optimal for power and argued me to being banned off FF for it. Despite having a car that runs 11.8afr on a stock motor making amazing power
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
I have been thinking about getting the proracer program to do it myself.
I thought about the proracer too. But I may have to talk details with Jamie about it for the future.

As for tunes. Randy all the way. Steeda has popped motors and dreams. Nothing but disapointment. DaSilva is ok but they rock the Stang world not the Fofo world.

FSWerks only does 91 but the added fuel mileage you get equals out even though you have a couple more HP to play with too.

Good luck.
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

Hmm how much do they charge at FSwerks for a tune ?

Also anyone have Randy's email?
2002 SVT Focus
Procharger @ 10psi , Clutch Masters Stage 3 Clutch,Stainless Borla Exhaust, Ebc dimpled + slotted rotors and brakes ,Russel Stainless brake lines , Koni adjustable shocks ,Eibach Sportline Springs , CFM short throw shifter , Euro Grill , CFM 65mm tb , Mach Headlights , MSD Coil ,SCT Dyno tune @ steeda , Volant Intake .  
-2003 SVT Wagon - Euro Conversion , currently retired
Svt side skirts , st170 front bumper , mach headlights , spax rear adj shocks , focus sport rear springs , volant CAI , Roof rack delete , Street edition Spoiler , MBRP exhaust , Eibach front swaybar , shorty shifter and lots more to come!                             .
2011 SES - daily driver will be modded soon .                                                                                                                                                        
Randy@fswerks.com

Depends on what you need. Precanned 91, custom n/a or custom boost. I think an fswerks tune for 91 is like 100-150$, custom n/a is 300 and custom boost is 400. All custom tunes include updates too

I know you have to "pay to play" so I did some quick math, going to 91 is going to cost me over $500 a year extra with the miles I put on. I just don't know if I'm ready to play with the big boys for that amount. I guess I'd sooner put that money aside for the Fiesta or Focus ST down the road.
So flash it when you want to and run stock for the commute if the cash makes that big a difference. I don't know about you, but 41$/month doesn't get anywhere near an ST... I make the payments and they aren't cheap. 41$ gets me 3/4 tank of gas which is nothing. I'd rather eat less out for lunch and compensate LOL

lmao 500 a year.. i wish i paid 500$ a year extra in gas..
2000 dark violet pearl zx3: eagle rods, je pistons, fidanza cam gears, arp studs, ford racing highlift valve springs, svt front/rear disc conversion, prothane total kit, fc 65mm throttle body Tial gt3071r, tial mvs wastegate, tial Q bov, top speed "street" manifold,down pipe and dump tube, greddy boost controller, siemens deka #61 injectorz, stage 4 bully clutch way to much more to list
Instagram @o_so_slo
2 kids to put through University and a wife to keep happy, $500 makes a difference.