Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird Heater Problem
First winter with the new 02 Wagon. If I warm up my car for 15 minutes, the engine goes to a good temp but the heater still has no heat.

Heat does not come until i'm driving (ie it blows cold air prior to moving). Its only just a few meters and heat magically comes.

At stop signsghts the heat seems to start blowing less hot.

Anybody else experience this issue, and what was the fix?

hardk0re,Nov 21 2008, 01:30 PM Wrote:First winter with the new 02 Wagon.  If I warm up my car for 15 minutes, the engine goes to a good temp but the heater still has no heat.

Heat does not come until i'm driving (ie it blows cold air prior to moving).  Its only just a few meters and heat magically comes.

At stop signsghts the heat seems to start blowing less hot.

Anybody else experience this issue, and what was the fix?
[right][snapback]276949[/snapback][/right]
Haven't looked at the Focus specifically, but a lot of Fords use vacuum lines to actuate the diverters in the HVAC system. You might have a broken line that's bleeding off vacuum so that the flapper goes to the default (cold) position.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
But when i'm driving I get good heat? Could a vac hose cause that?
hardk0re,Nov 21 2008, 02:06 PM Wrote:But when i'm driving I get good heat?  Could a vac hose cause that?
[right][snapback]276951[/snapback][/right]
If it's a vacuum actuated system, yes; because the vacuum pressure changes as you drive.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
OAC_Sparky,Nov 21 2008, 03:24 PM Wrote:
hardk0re,Nov 21 2008, 02:06 PM Wrote:But when i'm driving I get good heat?  Could a vac hose cause that?
[right][snapback]276951[/snapback][/right]
If it's a vacuum actuated system, yes; because the vacuum pressure changes as you drive.
[right][snapback]276952[/snapback][/right]

The only thing vac operated on an '02 is the flapper door to recirculate...

I'd check your coolant level. I'll almost guarantee that's what it is...
The t-stat likes to start leaking once it gets cold out, and once your coolant level drops so low, you won't get heat until the pump RPM can force it thru the heater core...
[Image: 160510.png]
[Image: 160577.png]
I had similar issues, but then my t-stat did have "the crack" and had to be replaced. I find though that had stops the fan pressure is lower which I think could be an alternator on the way out. Can't handle the current draw at idle.

Check your t-stat housing though, mine was leaking for ages before it finally bled out massively.
thats a t-stat problem I would change that and flush ur cooling system. B)
B&G coilovers, Kamakazi headers,focus sport exhaust, 2.5 custom flex pipe, 18" oz rims, 65mm throtle body,ZX3 tuning custom cams,powerworks SC,spec 3 clutch,clutchnet 11lb flywheel,Eibach swaybar package,fs front lower stress bar,fs rear strees bar,svt big brake kit,quife diff,4.06 gears.(2012 plans FR head, 19lb boost & full engine rebuild) Good bye Escape hello 2012 focusBig Grin
sounds like thermostat problem or heater core try thermo first
Ford Focus SES ZX5
Blue Underglow, Clear Corners, Shorty antenna, vogtland springs , Rust Module,Truebendz 2.5 ss magnaflow and Fuzion 205/50/16 HRI's
TEAM DURATEC # 99
just like everyone else said, thermostat. friends k-car (winter beater) did the same also liked to run hoter then it shud. replaced thermostat, got rid of all the air bubbles and it was good again
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily