Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ball Joints?
I had noticed that my front wheels are toed into the wheel well's, so i figured i would just take it to the local dealer up the road from me and see what they had to say. They told me it was my ball joints, The reasoning for it happening would be from lack of maintenance. I clean an grease my ball joints every 10k km so theres no lacking there. I do live in an area with very crappy roads and harsh bump's so im thinking could this be the reason? That is all irrelevant now as i do need to replace them. what would i be looking at for cost on two lower and two upper ball joints? and would i be better just getting them installed or just taking the time to do them myself?
[Image: car5-1.jpg]
Had mine done a couple of years ago. You can't just replace the ball joint itself. You have to do the lower control arm, at least according to Ford. Cost for parts was around $400.00
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
oldeguy,Mar 1 2010, 12:09 PM Wrote:Had mine done a couple of years ago. You can't just replace the ball joint itself. You have to do the lower control arm, at least according to Ford. Cost for parts was around $400.00
[right][snapback]302453[/snapback][/right]

I was shopping around online and i saw just the ball joint but for that price i wouldn't see why not to do it all(control arms).Was that price installed or just the parts?
a parts store here in Barrie quoted me 35$+tax for a Focus ball joint . You just have to grind and drill through the rivets and install the part with the bolts and nuts .
Gabriel,Mar 1 2010, 07:55 PM Wrote:a parts store here in Barrie quoted me 35$+tax for a Focus ball joint . You just have to grind and drill through the rivets and install the part with the bolts and nuts .
[right][snapback]302485[/snapback][/right]

thats what i thought aswell when i saw the part, thanks for confirming.
I did the lowers on my 2000 what a PITA, when Ford pressed in the rivets they mushroomed on the inside of the control arm so its not just a matter of cutting off the top of the rivet and hammering the rest out, Have fun
lintlars,Mar 2 2010, 01:06 AM Wrote:I did the lowers on my 2000 what a PITA, when Ford pressed in the rivets they mushroomed on the inside of the control arm so its not just a matter of cutting off the top of the rivet and hammering the rest out, Have fun
[right][snapback]302507[/snapback][/right]

just have to drill them out, should not be more than an afternoon.
I need to replace mine as well. A lightsaber would come in handy for going the DIY route.
JAMUS,Mar 12 2010, 02:32 AM Wrote:I need to replace mine as well. A lightsaber would come in handy for going the DIY route.
[right][snapback]303211[/snapback][/right]

Nah , the beam is too thick on it , you might cut down the whole control arm :lol:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ball joints rnzo86 6 3,682 08-27-2012, 01:18 AM
Last Post: sonic_mikey
  Ball Joints danny 2 1,316 12-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Last Post: danny