Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking For A Tad More Power
i am looking to increase power to about 260-280whp
just wondering what i could possibly do for this power increase, would also like to be a bit pocket friendly as would anyone else lol.

current setup

stock 2.0 zetec
tdo5h 14b w/ 16g compressor at 9psi
ebay bov
32x9x3 fmic
4-1 equal length manifold
2000 intake manifold
blitz dual spec boost controller
42# injectors
pro M MAF
K&N intake
motocraft step 1 colder plugs
bosch wires
ford racing thermostat
2.25 borla exhaust

currently i am putting down 245 to the fly wheel 225 to the wheels.

drivetrain is ready for up to 500 whp which it will never see, so that section is taken care of... thanks nate :)

would building the motor and running more boost be a good option for power increase? would i see anything by doing piston rings, pistons, and rods to run up to 13 - 14 psi?

I dont want to escalate 300whp.

any help is greatly appreciated let me know your thoughts and or ideas.
[Image: car5-1.jpg]
bmxfu,Feb 14 2010, 12:47 AM Wrote:would building the motor and running more boost be a good option for power  increase? would i see anything by doing piston rings, pistons, and rods to run up to 13 - 14 psi?

[right][snapback]301383[/snapback][/right]
sounds like a good idea to me, do you have an LSD? it'd be a wise investment.
Little bit of show, little bit of go.
2.5" exhaust might be better.
What's been done to the head? Port n polish and maybe upgraded valvetrain and cams.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Spinal,Feb 14 2010, 05:41 AM Wrote:
bmxfu,Feb 14 2010, 12:47 AM Wrote:would building the motor and running more boost be a good option for power  increase? would i see anything by doing piston rings, pistons, and rods to run up to 13 - 14 psi?

[right][snapback]301383[/snapback][/right]
sounds like a good idea to me, do you have an LSD? it'd be a wise investment.
[right][snapback]301387[/snapback][/right]

full built mtx-75 w/ ford racing lsd, tranny is built for 500whp like i said looking to reach 260-280whp.
Oscar The Grouch,Feb 14 2010, 08:14 AM Wrote:2.5" exhaust might be better.
What's been done to the head?  Port n polish and maybe upgraded valvetrain and cams.
[right][snapback]301391[/snapback][/right]

I have not done any head work, stock everything
if you looking for power over 240 you gotta build the motor id think
i went with eagle rods and je turbo pistons, i kept my head pretty simple stock cams fidanze cam gears gonna get new valves and get the head dipped thats about it tho i wans gonna get a port and polish but you get no gains on a turbo vehicle if your going NA its a different story

well hope thats helps
2000 dark violet pearl zx3: eagle rods, je pistons, fidanza cam gears, arp studs, ford racing highlift valve springs, svt front/rear disc conversion, prothane total kit, fc 65mm throttle body Tial gt3071r, tial mvs wastegate, tial Q bov, top speed "street" manifold,down pipe and dump tube, greddy boost controller, siemens deka #61 injectorz, stage 4 bully clutch way to much more to list
Instagram @o_so_slo
What kind of dyno are measuring your power on?

For starts I'd go with 3" turbo back exhaust. 2.25" is for N/A guys.
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
Agree, you need a 2.5" exhaust and some internal work.
2009 Focus SES Black Sedan Mods:

FSWerks CAI / F2 Header (non-fouler mod) custom flex / 2.5" FSwerks Stealth Stainless exhaust / FSWerks X3 tune / Autolite 104's / Steeda Strut Tower Bar / FRPP 1.5" drop / FSWerks FLS Bar / H&R 24mm RSB / MOOG endlinks / AEM wideband AFR gauge / 8000K HID Bi-xenon 55W / Tint / 17" Ford Racing Rally Wheels in Black / Coupe tails / Black grille

124whp/129wtq
NikiterZTS,Feb 14 2010, 11:08 AM Wrote:What kind of dyno are measuring your power on?

For starts I'd go with 3" turbo back exhaust.  2.25" is for N/A guys.
[right][snapback]301397[/snapback][/right]

not measured with a dyno measured with 1/4 pass time. this is flo's old car but i have changed the motor and new tune, the old tune was sorta sh*tty as flow would agree im sure. The horsepower was upon flo's word when i bought the car.

what could i do without internal work? such as new manifold and new 3" exhaust im looking for a 50-60hp increase i know thats asking for alot but thats max numbers i dont want to escalate that. i would be happy with seeing 260hp to the wheels im just looking for a bit more without have to pull the motor back out. It is only a small turbo setup and i dont want to get into changing the turbo. i do have another short block zetec motor thats sitting in my garge with 90 000km on it if i were to do internal work i would do it to that motor and completely build it from the crank up but i would like to play with a bit more power this summer and a complete motor build would be out of the question to use this summer as im not rich lol. Im looking at about $1500 budget as i recently spent alot doing my new motor and tune 4-5 months ago. let me know what you think is best for me to do.
have you considered a 50 shot of NOS?

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Oscar The Grouch,Feb 14 2010, 04:38 PM Wrote:have you considered a 50 shot of NOS?
[right][snapback]301410[/snapback][/right]

Considered a dry shot but was always detered from nitrous. And im pretty sure it's illegal to have the bottle in your car now even if it is closed... Not too sure about that but its what i've heard. would stock internals handle a 50 shot? Could be a possible method if it will handle it with 9-10 psi.
I would say don't go higher than 11psi surge without going to a bigger intercooler and beefed up internals.

If you do any nitrous setup for FI, go wet shot. Dry shot is not recommended for boost.

I'm not entirely sure if a 50 shot will be enough to break the engine/tranny, however it is a shock to the engine and will probably break it over time on stock internals.

My gut here says if you want 260hp, prepare to do at least the rods, head bolts, and maybe the pistons.

The only other options I see is you could ramp up the boost to 11psi, do up the head, add cam gears and get it tuned on a dyno.

As for the nitrous, it is legal to have all the hardware hooked up, just illegal to hook up the bottle while on the street.

Oscar The Grouch,Feb 14 2010, 09:18 PM Wrote:I would say don't go higher than 11psi surge without going to a bigger intercooler and beefed up internals.

If you do any nitrous setup for FI, go wet shot.  Dry shot is not recommended for boost.

I'm not entirely sure if a 50 shot will be enough to break the engine/tranny, however it is a shock to the engine and will probably break it over time on stock internals.

My gut here says if you want 260hp, prepare to do at least the rods, head bolts, and maybe the pistons.

The only other options I see is you could ramp up the boost to 11psi, do up the head, add cam gears and get it tuned on a dyno.

As for the nitrous, it is legal to have all the hardware hooked up, just illegal to hook up the bottle while on the street.
[right][snapback]301417[/snapback][/right]

well building the motor is out of the question this year is there any way to see a bit more power with any bolt on's? 3" exhaust? different manifold? i've been told 2.25" should not be used for turbo app's... well what i figure is bigger exhaust = more airflow = more power... so could that possibly be a power increase.
hmmm. I'm kinda torn on the 2.5" vs 3". What you should do is look on FJ or FF and see what other people are using for that range. 2.5" is generally good, but 3" will be better when you hit 300whp.

Magnaflow writeup

bmxfu,Feb 14 2010, 01:47 AM Wrote:i am looking to increase power to about 260-280whp
just wondering what i could possibly do for this power increase, would also like to be a bit pocket friendly as would anyone else lol.

current setup

stock 2.0 zetec
tdo5h 14b w/ 16g compressor    at 9psi
ebay bov
32x9x3 fmic
4-1 equal length manifold
2000 intake manifold
blitz dual spec boost controller
42# injectors
pro M MAF
K&N intake
motocraft step 1 colder plugs
bosch wires
ford racing thermostat
2.5 borla exhaust

The turbo back exhaust I sold you with the car is 2.5" already. You wont get much more power in current form going to a full 3".

If your looking for 280 whp, you will need to build that block and run more than 9psi. That turbo should easily get you to 280whp with 14-15psi. Once you are at this point, a 3" Turbo back exhaust will help.

Build the block if you want reliable horsepower. If you dont and run anything more than 12psi, your going to keep popping engines.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
NikiterZTS,Feb 14 2010, 12:08 PM Wrote:What kind of dyno are measuring your power on?

Mystang dyno, he's since put in a new engine and a new tune. Those numbers were on my old TD05 Turbo, this new turbo is basically a big 16G, and I never got a dyno done with that turbo.

When I tuned up Kirk's car last year it fawkin pulled so nice, Its what made me get a new turbo for the WRX, I missed that power.
Flofocus,Feb 15 2010, 10:49 AM Wrote:
NikiterZTS,Feb 14 2010, 12:08 PM Wrote:What kind of dyno are measuring your power on?

Mystang dyno, he's since put in a new engine and a new tune. Those numbers were on my old TD05 Turbo, this new turbo is basically a big 16G, and I never got a dyno done with that turbo.

When I tuned up Kirk's car last year it fawkin pulled so nice, Its what made me get a new turbo for the WRX, I missed that power.
[right][snapback]301432[/snapback][/right]

Im definately going to look into building the motor but not right away, Mike told me it was a 2.25? But anyways you did it so you would know best. and it does pull wicked i can't wait to take it to luxville in the summer. i'll lend it to you for a weekend so you can do some joyful pulls lol. i never had the power measured when it was all re-done, I will know in july when i take it to dasilva and gte it dyno'd. thanks for all your help guy's much appreciated. Hopefully the future holds great things
I'll be going to KVR in Ottawa to dyno my subie in the spring, I'll call you closer to then and see if you want to come down, its $75 for 3 pulls.
Flofocus,Feb 15 2010, 10:49 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]301432[/snapback][/right]

What turbo did you buy for WRX?

I'm thinking of picking up either VF39 (VF43) or 18G
with EWG
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
So how do you know your putting down 225 whp If you haven't strapped it onto a dyno with the current set up.

DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]