Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reno, Nv Pics And Dodge Caliber Reflections
Took this while on the way back to the hotel after work yesterday... had to get changed for supper and some cruising in the crappy rental.

[Image: th_DSC_0037.jpg]

More here: http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b322/log...20April%202007/

It's so nice down here this time of year... you don't need a jacket until 8-9PM at least. The cars are RIDICULOUS. We're going to either the Planetairum at Uni of Nevada - Reno tonight or to the Harrah's Automobile Collection.

As friendly as our co-workers are here (and always have been), I'm enjoying this trip so much more this time with Sara here. Normally I'm a hermit in my room for 4-5 days.

On to the SUCK that is the Dodge Caliber SXT. DEAR GOD. There's my religious acknowledgement for the day. This thing is beyond useless. No balls, tippy handling and the CVT... I'd end up in the pokey for what I want to do to this thing because of the CVT. It's an unholy bastardization of belts and gear ratios and pretenses about being a geared transmission still. Oy. Climbing some of the more intense grades around Reno can be entertaining as the CVT edges the engine constantly higher, trying to maintain some speed up the hills.

It's noisy, there's lots and lots of tire thrum. The seats are flatter than Paris Hilton imitating Kate Moss. You take a corner in this thing at anywhere near a reasonable pace and it tries to launch you out the window. Fuel economy seems alright so far. There's also ZERO privacy in it... no rear decklid to protect what you put in the hatch, hence we lug everything everywhere we go. That's alright, more picture opportunities for us.

The only thing I like about it is the brakes. They bite hard, no sponge or waffle in them and they haul the trucklet down faster than I expected. Which is good, cause folks here weave as though it's the end of the world and they're fleeing for their lives.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Ford Focus = Lexus

/end thread
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
C'Mon what did you expect? It's Dodge. I took one for a test drive and almost made the salesman cry when I gave him my honest opinion for it. You'd think he'd been part of the design team for it. I just wish I'd thought of the Paris Hilton Kate Moss line. That was awesome.

I didn't like it one bit either. Over everything else that was bad about it, I could NOT get rid of the blind spots. No matter what I did with the mirrors I had at least 2-3 blindspots all the time.
No name, Cheap and Slutty.

MMM Daddy Like
The only Caliber of consequence is the replacement SRT4....
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
you know you can take your rental back for another one at no charge.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Serious? I might just do that tonight, depending on what time I get out of here.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
my mother in law bought one , only thing cool is the lighted cupholders and cooler in dash other than that its a jeep crushed to be smaller and aint at all curvy or nice.
Ford Focus SES ZX5
Blue Underglow, Clear Corners, Shorty antenna, vogtland springs , Rust Module,Truebendz 2.5 ss magnaflow and Fuzion 205/50/16 HRI's
TEAM DURATEC # 99
NOS2Go4Me,Apr 17 2007, 06:59 PM Wrote:Serious? I might just do that tonight, depending on what time I get out of here.
[right][snapback]235219[/snapback][/right]

yeah I'm totally serious, I've done it a few times with the focus was in the shop for electrical issues, when I needed a car I had a car, when I needed a van for the day I'd tell them I want something a little bigger, and when I was out west in Victoria, the Caviler they tried to give me I could not for the life of me get my knees below the dash with the seat all the way back.. it was impossible, and I almost hit 3 cars in the lot... I went back to the counter and they applogized to me and gave me a larger car (a Taurus) just be nice and tell them it's really really bad to drive or there is issues with it that you noticed, and they should exchange it hassle free for you.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Thanks Philip!

Now go get a Charger SXT and critique that :P
2004 Ford Focus ZX5 MTX75 - Liquid Grey -

15.7 @ 86mph

1994 Pontiac Trans AM 25th Anniversary 6 spd -

12.3 @ 110mph

2013 Ford Focus ST - Oxford White

1/4 TBD
[Image: image,Burnin1,black,blue.png]
Not to mention the steering on those is s***. Why does a compact car need that much ground clearance???
Why does Enterprise rate it a "standard" car? Compacts are now B-series stuff, like Aveos and Fits. The last time I had an Aveo down here for a week, we damn near killed the three hamsters under the hood merging onto the freeway.

I've decided that it's just a rental and we'll live with it. I'll let you all know how it survives the trip to San Fran and then to Tahoe this weekend... or perhaps Sunday/Monday.

More pictures uploaded... we're going to Lake Tahoe tomorrow.

My fave out of today so far? Not sure, but these two fit the bill as "noteworthy" for sure:

[Image: th_DSC_0264.jpg]
[Image: th_DSC_0226.jpg]

These were taken between Virginia City and Reno on Highway 341/342, south of Reno. Virginia City is a great tourist trap (although I did spend over 50 bucks there today on stuff alone), but I'd go back for the view. It's breathtaking.

Oh, and one more...

[Image: virginiacitytoreno.jpg]

I've never felt like I wasted such a great, windy and challenging stretch of road before. I think it eclipses the Fundy Nat'l Park as my favourite stetch of blacktop ever. Or, I'll just let it be my fave American highway and I'll let Fundy keep "best Canadian highway" status. :P

I'm voting this highway "Most likely to make me drive all the way there in the Focus, just to do it again".

How'd the CVT handle it? I would assume you would be looking at multiple speed/elevation changes if I'm reading that map right.

I fear that the Focus auto would be hunting like a bassett hound through that type of terrain.

NefCanuck
It was alright so long as you never got completely out of the gas and then back on it immediately afterward... that event causes a shudder in the drivetrain like Godzilla farting or some nonsense. We actually drove that road again today on the way back from Lake Tahoe. It's even more fun when you know where you're going ;)

The CVT really makes it sound as though you're seriously slipping accelerating up the mountain. It slips even off the line, unable to hold one ratio long enough to squawk a single tire. It's disconcerting to say the least, but you eventuallly learn to accelerate early and keep your foot in it for longer.

What surprises me is the fuel economy. We've gotten 200 miles to half a tank so far - mountain, city and highway. That's just under 30MPG if 1/2 tank really is 1/2 a tank. Given all the revving you do for so long, I expected it to do a lot worse.

I still want to come back in the hatch to run it again. It's THAT addictive.

We're heading to the west side of Tahoe tomorrow. :)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Drive: 2008 Dodge Caliber Srt-4 SVT ZX3 9 3,164 09-11-2007, 12:36 AM
Last Post: 02_svt_guy
  Dodge Ram 1500 Pickups And Dodge Durango Recalled Frost__2001 0 1,055 09-08-2006, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Frost__2001
  Test Drive Of 2007 Dodge Caliber SVT ZX3 22 9,276 02-10-2006, 03:16 AM
Last Post: FocusGuy7476
  2007 Dodge Caliber Srt-4 Flofocus 12 3,401 10-17-2005, 01:42 AM
Last Post: S2