Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Painting Woes
Ok, so my homemade painted grill isn't working out so well. It held up decently in the summer, except for some nicks and whatnot from the highway.

I'm not sure if its coincidence, but I noticed that since its been colder, the primer/paint is starting to come off and really looks fugly.

Anyone have any tips? Any particular paint that would hold? I can't recall what paint I used, but I'm pretty sure it was some type of Krylon.

Should I just suck it up and buy the ST grill? Maybe powdercoat (not sure how much this costs)? Someone good at painting and can help a brother out?
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
uh duh?
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
I think what Bryan is trying to say is that he knows how to paint and that he could provide some pointers if need be. ;)

Do you have any photos of this grill? I wouldn't mind seeing how it looked before and after the paint came off.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Can see a before & after here:

http://forums.focaljet.com/team-rigz/51556...k-look-out.html

Oops I misread that.. just picture the black grill with bits and pieces of chrome sticking out.
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
You painted the chrome ring with black paint? It's all about the prep work and the materials you use. Paint won't stick to the smooth chromed plastic texture, I assume you sanded off the chrome finish.. then used some sort of adhesion promoter, a flexible plastic primer, then your color/clear? That would be the way to paint plastic parts.

There are some paints that say they will bond to plastic without primers or adhesion promoters, but I'd still rather do it properly and have it last.
guilty,Dec 27 2006, 12:07 AM Wrote:You painted the chrome ring with black paint?  It's all about the prep work and the materials you use.  Paint won't stick to the smooth chromed plastic texture, I assume you sanded off the chrome finish.. then used some sort of adhesion promoter, a flexible plastic primer, then your color/clear?  That would be the way to paint plastic parts.

There are some paints that say they will bond to plastic without primers or adhesion promoters, but I'd still rather do it properly and have it last.
[right][snapback]221603[/snapback][/right]
saved me some typing....

Never had a problem painting plastic...

Sand Prime sand paint sand paint sand paint

Sanding is the paints staying power... to many people neglect the prep.
Silver 2000 zx3: Cai w/ K&n X-Stream filter, Steeda Wires (blue), Ngk plugs, Steeda Badges, Carbon taillights, Tint 20/30, blue glow And steeda Springs sirius sat radio, 2.5" Custom mandrel bent catback
you can't powdercoat plastic, you'll end up with a piece of melted plastic after its all done.

but prep work is the key to painting plastic.
'03 Focus SVT