Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2008 Saturn Astra
2008 Saturn Astra - GM's New Premium Small Car
December 07, 2006

Saturn's extreme makeover marches on. With the Aura on sale and the new Opel Antara-based Vue ready to replace the origami-breadvan SUV early in 2007, Saturn is about to purge its remaining plastic-bodied car from the lineup. In late '07, the Astra subcompact replaces the Ion. The Saturn Astra will be built in Antwerp, Belgium, alongside its identical (but for the badging and grillework) Opel/Vauxhall Astra. The European models debuted in March 2004 and have been a hit for GM Europe, and at times beat Volkswagen's Golf in sales on the Continent.

Saturn will sell three-door and five-door hatchbacks in the States, although we see no reason why the retractable hardtop Twintop model wouldn't sell well here, too.

While Saturn isn't talking powerplants, yet, it does confirm the U.S. Astra will share some engines with the Euro models. There, 15 engines are available in the Opel and Vauxhall, including a compressed natural gas engine, several turbodiesels and on the low end, an 85-horsepower SOHC 1.6-liter Ecotec. For North America, expect two engines; a 2.2-liter DOHC Ecotec four rated 147 horses in Euro trim, and the same 2.0-liter Ecotec turbo that makes 240 horsepower in the Sky Redline, Pontiac Solstice GXP and upcoming Chevy HHR SS, and mated to a six-speed manual gearbox. That engine goes in the European Opel/Vauxhall Astra OPC, a VW GTI fighter with aerodynamic body cladding and a stiffened suspension. It would be a turnkey Saturn Astra Redline.

The current Astra got a mid-cycle refreshening for display at the recent Bolognia Motor Show in Italy. The car has signaled a resurgent Opel since its introduction, and should do well here. Although it was originally supposed to be built off of GM's Delta small car platform (Saturn Ion, Chevy Cobalt/HHR and Pontiac G5), it's built off an update of the previous-generation Astra platform, to good effect.

While the Ion is a long car, nearly midsize in overall length, for its segment, the Astra is a true subcompact. The Ion is 185 inches long on a 103.2-inch wheelbase, while the Astra is 168.9 inches long for the three-door hatchback, and 167.3 inches long for the five-door, on a 102.9-inch wheelbase.

Saturn is mum about pricing, other than to say the Astra will extend its "value" reputation. We expect the Astra to have more standard equipment than the Cobalt/G5, placing it near the "premium" small car segment, but for not much more money than the Chevy and Pontiac.

It debuts at the Chicago Auto Show in February and goes on sale that fall.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
My cousin has an Opel in Austria, and I wasn't impressed. I preferred my other cousin's Fiat, which she was slowly modding.

But... this model could be a great seller. If people are dumb enough to buy the current cheapo GM's (bottom of the line, can't remember the names) then this model will be gold in comparison, and a much better performer! So I'm all for this model coming to NA.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
Does it come with heated seats? Heated mirrors? :)

That's my new retort to everything now when someone says "My <insert subcompact here> has this, this and this."

I tend to get evil stares. :D
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Saturn Astra D-Dub 21 7,243 02-11-2008, 02:49 AM
Last Post: zx5power
  Saturn Ion To Be Replaced By Opel Astra In 2007 Frost__2001 15 3,858 05-13-2006, 05:14 AM
Last Post: Festive_Zombie