Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't You Love Tinting Windows!
:glare:

Ok... i'm a big do it yourselfer... Not really a perfectionist i'm happy with 95% perfect as long as i did it my self. Back !2, 13 years ago i worked in a stero/ prfomance shop as a installer, mostly custom stereos, electronics and bolt on stuff and the odd tinting job....

now the fun stuff... i had planned to tint my window this spring, 20% rear 3 and 30% front 2. probably have done 30 cars in my life.

so the last 2 days have warmed up to around 7 or 8 degree os i decided i'd slap the stuff on when i had the chance. headed to 3m and picked up the tint and away i went. yesterday before Class (i take french in night school) i did the front 2 no problem... kind felt like a dolt driving to school with only my front two windows tinted :headbang:

so after i got off work today at noon i went home to finsh the job... the back two side when on easier then i expected and i felt like i was geting back into the groove...like riding a bike i thought to my over confident self <_<

so i moved on to the rear.... tired stiff from being cramped in the the back seat, racing the falling temperature and the fading light... the sun goes down earlier in the back of a tinted foci....

grown....

at first everything was going fine...the cut went nice and well that was right about when i remembered how much easier doing rear window is with a actual heat gum...s :angry:

to make a long story short... i'm glad i managed to cut both back windows out of the same piece leaving a extra piece for me to redo the rear window.

thanks for listening... i'm done crying now...
Silver 2000 zx3: Cai w/ K&n X-Stream filter, Steeda Wires (blue), Ngk plugs, Steeda Badges, Carbon taillights, Tint 20/30, blue glow And steeda Springs sirius sat radio, 2.5" Custom mandrel bent catback
I always wanted to learn how to tint.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
How much was the material? and would you ever think of doing it for someone else on the side?
2002 Infra-red ZTS
the tint was $3.50 a ft for 3m... best stuff ever.... and about doing it for other people... i wanna get mine on right first , before i start skrewing anyone elses up. ;)

when i get the chance i'll post some pics...
Silver 2000 zx3: Cai w/ K&n X-Stream filter, Steeda Wires (blue), Ngk plugs, Steeda Badges, Carbon taillights, Tint 20/30, blue glow And steeda Springs sirius sat radio, 2.5" Custom mandrel bent catback
SliverSteeda,Dec 7 2006, 09:49 PM Wrote:the tint was $3.50 a ft for 3m... best stuff ever....  and about doing it for other people... i wanna get mine on right first , before i start skrewing anyone elses up. ;)

when i get the chance i'll post some pics...
[right][snapback]219070[/snapback][/right]

Good idea...just wondering. I was quoted $425...ouch!
2002 Infra-red ZTS
residentdud,Dec 7 2006, 07:01 PM Wrote:Good idea...just wondering. I was quoted $425...ouch!
[right][snapback]219075[/snapback][/right]

ya that would be why i'm a do-it-your-self'r... i hate paying people to do something i am quite capable of learning. B)
It feels good doing something yourself doesn't it. Glad you got it done and I think I am going to try this next year. I have some tint sitting around and I think I will give it a shot.

Can't wait to see the pic's.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Focus man, Focus.,Dec 7 2006, 08:16 PM Wrote:It feels good doing something yourself doesn't it.  Glad you got it done and I think I am going to try this next year.  I have some tint sitting around and I think I will give it a shot.

Can't wait to see the pic's.
[right][snapback]219086[/snapback][/right]

ya and i just remembered what i did wrong on the back window too.... a small thing, i forgot you can't do the back window in one piece.... i don't know how i forgot that...

for anyone wanting to try it here's a good guide that pretty much covers the basics...

and for a heat gun, if your wife mom sister gf has a "Good " hair drier that on its hottest setting you can't keep your hand in front of it for more then a couple seconds, that perfect... people who arn't framiliar with actual heat guns can do serious damage to the inside of there car... it will melt you panels.
I had our sedan done at Apple for 245 or so 3 years ago... with a 5-year warranty. I have been meaning to get them to give me an estimate. I'm waiting till the spring this time, however.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 8 2006, 12:23 AM Wrote:I had our sedan done at Apple for 245 or so 3 years ago... with a 5-year warranty. I have been meaning to get them to give me an estimate. I'm waiting till the spring this time, however.
[right][snapback]219097[/snapback][/right]

Apple is who quoted me that garb...
2002 Infra-red ZTS
paid tint master 120$ to do mine - its great wouldnt attept to try myself!
focus gone - 2005 mazda 6 sport gt wagon - lovin it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
well i guess these guys didnt feel like tinting the day i went, lol
2002 Infra-red ZTS
I got mine done at Krown here in Burlington for $175. Was a sweet deal and the tint is still amazing 2 years later :)
2004 Ford Focus ZX5 MTX75 - Liquid Grey -

15.7 @ 86mph

1994 Pontiac Trans AM 25th Anniversary 6 spd -

12.3 @ 110mph

2013 Ford Focus ST - Oxford White

1/4 TBD
[Image: image,Burnin1,black,blue.png]
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 7 2006, 08:23 PM Wrote:I had our sedan done at Apple for 245 or so 3 years ago... with a 5-year warranty. I have been meaning to get them to give me an estimate. I'm waiting till the spring this time, however.

eouch!
The tint on my new car has been done 3 times, and it's going in for a 4th in the spring... good thing about having the dealership do it, is I just keep going back until they get it right.

Bad thing is that it's never done right the 1st, 2nd or 3rd time...
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Flofocus,Dec 8 2006, 09:57 AM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 7 2006, 08:23 PM Wrote:I had our sedan done at Apple for 245 or so 3 years ago... with a 5-year warranty. I have been meaning to get them to give me an estimate. I'm waiting till the spring this time, however.

eouch!
[right][snapback]219159[/snapback][/right]

Hmm I didn't realize it was that bad. It's one of those "pay extra cause you're in the North" things maybe. I'll shop around this time, then.

Suggestions?

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
move away from the north?
Nah, that ruins the quality of life that we currently enjoy. You guys can keep the stress and busyness of the Big City™. :)

There are a couple of other reputable shops in town I'll check with. I was just really impressed with the job they did last time, hence why I considered going back. You know, kind of like Ford and the Focus :D

NOS2Go4Me,Dec 8 2006, 04:50 PM Wrote:Nah, that ruins the quality of life that we currently enjoy. You guys can keep the stress and busyness of the Big City™. [right][snapback]219262[/snapback][/right]

Ottawa is NOT big city living. :lol:
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 8 2006, 03:25 PM Wrote:Suggestions?
[right][snapback]219215[/snapback][/right]

go to the big city to get the car tinted... ;)