Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strut Bar Color Change
hi there

i have a blue strut bar under my hood and my car is liqued gray...so yea it looks out of place
so i wanna paint it the color of my car but yea i never painted anything in my life specialy on parts like that

so i know this is kind of silly, but should i scrab the blue paint off and then paint it the color i want?

like what are the steps here?

thanks

2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
If it's still smooth and no rust etc on it just sand it down a little with about a 400 grit sandpaper or a little smoother even and then clean it really good, then spray it. Use nice thin layers of paint, do 2-3 coats and then clear it with a couple coats
No name, Cheap and Slutty.

MMM Daddy Like
I have a chrome ractive strut bar that I picked up used and the chrome finish was scratched up so I sanded it down smooth, then hit it with some primer and then I had some "cold cast iron" high-heat engine enamel I had left over and sprayed it with that. It turned out really good and still looks good. You wouldn't really need high-heat paint on a strut bar though..

Just remember to sand it down a bit (since it's probably a glossy blue paint you need to rough it up so the paint will stick). Then like he said, a few light coats and a clear coat if you want.
NikiterZTS,Nov 30 2006, 07:44 PM Wrote:hi there

i have a blue strut bar under my hood and my car is liqued gray...so yea it looks out of place
so i wanna  paint it the color of my car but yea i never painted anything in my life specialy on parts like that

so i know this is kind of silly, but should i scrab the blue paint off and then paint it the color i want?

thanks

[right][snapback]218067[/snapback][/right]

Don't forget to degrease it before the painting part. Anything in the engine bay is covered in oil and grime so degreaser helps a lot.
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

mo_focus,Nov 30 2006, 07:27 PM Wrote:

so i wanna  paint it the color of my car but yea i never painted anything in my life specialy on parts like that

thanks

Don't forget to degrease it before the painting part. Anything in the engine bay is covered in oil and grime so degreaser helps a lot.
[right][snapback]218081[/snapback][/right]

Speak for your own engine bay.
ANTHONYD,Nov 30 2006, 11:53 PM Wrote:
mo_focus,Nov 30 2006, 07:27 PM Wrote:

thanks

[right][snapback]218081[/snapback][/right]

Speak for your own engine bay.
[right][snapback]218082[/snapback][/right]

Hehe, I used to have a nice engine bay. :(

but then I got married :(
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

PRIMER IS YOUR FRIEND!

if you have high-build primer, just rough up the outside of it using 320 grit, then just spray high-build primer, sand the high-build primer until its smooth, then just paint it whatever colour you needed.

but remember to buy all metal paint, plastic one won't adhere

on further review some adhesion promoter would be a good thing considering the nature of the bar (ive never painted powdercoated surfaces before)
THE FOCUS IS GONE! THE LEGEND IS DEAD!

but hey, im still around.....
Paint it the same as the car, I think that would look sweeettt.....
kc focus,Dec 5 2006, 09:22 PM Wrote:Paint it the same as the car, I think that would look sweeettt.....
[right][snapback]218778[/snapback][/right]

thats what im going for

i even still got the paint from when my car was scratched and the worker at the bodyshop gave me the rest of the paint
a little can but i think it might be enough for a strut bar
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike