Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone Made Their Own Intake?
I have an 05 Duratec 2.0 and man. the prices for a cone filter and a pipe with some holes in it is retarded!!! I was wondering if anyone has a Duratec and has made their own?? I just want the sound... that sounds lame but I know an intake doesn't really give any performance upgrades. espacially with a stock motor and MAF. but I like the sound of the motor sucking in air drowning out the sound of the motor rattling!

tHx
mn12bird,Jun 12 2006, 08:06 PM Wrote:I have an 05 Duratec 2.0 and man.  the prices for a cone filter and a pipe with some holes in it is retarded!!!  I was wondering if anyone has a Duratec and has made their own??  I just want the sound...  that sounds lame but I know an intake doesn't really give any performance upgrades.  espacially with a stock motor and MAF.  but I like the sound of the motor sucking in air drowning out the sound of the motor rattling!

tHx
[right][snapback]192713[/snapback][/right]

If thats all you want, get a generic cone filter and a collar and just strap it on the end of the tube as a short ram..
I beleve the member focusnme from Barrie made his own and can help you out getting the supplies. You should PM him.

TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
microbunny,Jun 13 2006, 12:18 AM Wrote:
mn12bird,Jun 12 2006, 08:06 PM Wrote:I have an 05 Duratec 2.0 and man.  the prices for a cone filter and a pipe with some holes in it is retarded!!!  I was wondering if anyone has a Duratec and has made their own??  I just want the sound...  that sounds lame but I know an intake doesn't really give any performance upgrades.  espacially with a stock motor and MAF.  but I like the sound of the motor sucking in air drowning out the sound of the motor rattling!

tHx
[right][snapback]192713[/snapback][/right]

If thats all you want, get a generic cone filter and a collar and just strap it on the end of the tube as a short ram..
[right][snapback]192717[/snapback][/right]

+2 this is what I did. I actually used a K&N filter that was meant for a GM truck but it fits just perfect on the stock tube
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
i did the stealth cai works great and sounds good to
I started with a K+N cone filter bolted to the MAF. I then moved to a short ram intake. The full intake is significantly louder than the simple filter addition, but it improves airflow decently by offering a straighter, smoother path back to the throttle body.

I'd recommend a proper intake if you can afford it. Hearing the intake is nice, but feeling a difference is even nicer.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
When you pull out the filter box and see the snorkle that the Duratecs have, you'll see that it does help the performance a bit as far as throttle response goes.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
OAC_Sparky,Jun 13 2006, 01:06 PM Wrote:When you pull out the filter box and see the snorkle that the Duratecs have, you'll see that it does help the performance a bit as far as throttle response goes.
[right][snapback]192793[/snapback][/right]

I'll second that. After getting the CAI installed and bypassing that asthmatic snorkel that the 2.0L Duratec has grafted onto it, the throttle response is RIGHT NOW! as opposed to Lemme think about it... oh okay let's go <_< and that's with the autotragic transmission ;)

NefCanuck
cool. I thought about slapping on a cone to the end of the pipe but there is a sensor on my car down low AFTER the stock box and without it the check engine light comes on. I guess I'll think about a focus sport intake or something.

Jake
^That's what I would suggest. You'll sleep easier at night.
mn12bird,Jun 19 2006, 08:40 PM Wrote:cool.  I thought about slapping on a cone to the end of the pipe but there is a sensor on my car down low AFTER the stock box and without it the check engine light comes on.  I guess I'll think about a focus sport intake or something.

Jake
[right][snapback]194033[/snapback][/right]
The stock box you are talking about on the duratech isn't actually the filter its just a sound muffler for the intake. I removed mine and just pieced a rubber tube in and the throtle response is realy good. Soon I plan on straping on a cone filter under the MAF sensor and it should sound better also.
[Image: style2,duratec-spc-power.png]
CAI's DO make a difference in power, but at a higher pricetag. When I had my stock intake assembly on my car, I simply put a K&N flat panel filter in the stock airbox, and then I removed the baffle box off the side. Slight change in throttle response, and made the SRI sound...that was on a Zetec. Putting the AEM intake on the car combined with my TB and exhaust DID make the car more powerfull, and wanting to move with more haste.
Bleeding Ford Blue again...