Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chip Windshield
I have a small but fairly noticeable chip in my windshield. It was from a flying rock coming from behind a truck on the highway.

I left it for over a year now but really wanna get it fixed.

Can anyone recommend where to get this done and how much i should expect to pay??

thanks
Be the change you want to see in this world.
Wal-Mart or Crappy tire, if you do it in their lots and pay for it out of your pocket it avarages like $45~$60 for each chip, and it takes about an hour, and if you need to do shopping in the store when your done so is your car.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Yea for sure, I'm surprised your windshield is still intact after a year! :)

My old windshield ended up cracking everywhere after a rock chip after only 6 months!
But def. crappy tire, they do a pretty good job!
~~2000 Midnight Blue 5-speed ZX3~~

~*~Evo 3 Body Kit~*~17'' BSA Gunmetal Black rims~*~Cold Air Intake~*~Angel Eye Projector Headlights~*~7'' Yellow Fog Lights~*~Tinted Altezza Tails~*~PINK Underglow~*~

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it.
jen_deans,Jun 7 2006, 06:15 AM Wrote:Yea for sure, I'm surprised your windshield is still intact after a year! :)

My old windshield ended up cracking everywhere after a rock chip after only 6 months!
[right][snapback]191774[/snapback][/right]

cool....that's sounds crappin' good. I'll give them a try!
cornflakes,Jun 7 2006, 01:54 PM Wrote:
jen_deans,Jun 7 2006, 06:15 AM Wrote:Yea for sure, I'm surprised your windshield is still intact after a year! :)

[right][snapback]191866[/snapback][/right]

DOOD? are you on glue? I work for that dump (part time only as i'm in the military full time..THANK GOD)...um....i wouldn't trust them to install an aftermarket cigarette lighter. Go to a AUTOMOTIVE glass shop. i paid 45 bucks to get mine done....and it's still good..mind you i have acquired another chip and a ginormous crack, however the original is still not expanding...
"The weak shall inherit...........NOTHING"
Mods so far:
- 2 Inch Drop, Focus Sport Cold Air Intake, Street Glow 4 light strobe system,MBRP Cat back exhaust, 35% tint on front windows, 5% all around the rear. 1 Million Color Flowlighting Underglow kit, Inside and out. SPEEDHUT custom indiglo Guages, Sirius Satellite Radio, Pioneer DH6800 Deck, 15" Solo-Baric L7 Sub,Enkei 17 inch rims, Belltronic Radar Detector
Slimsride,Jun 7 2006, 11:38 PM Wrote:
cornflakes,Jun 7 2006, 01:54 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]191866[/snapback][/right]

DOOD? are you on glue? I work for that dump (part time only as i'm in the military full time..THANK GOD)...um....i wouldn't trust them to install an aftermarket cigarette lighter. Go to a AUTOMOTIVE glass shop. i paid 45 bucks to get mine done....and it's still good..mind you i have acquired another chip and a ginormous crack, however the original is still not expanding...
[right][snapback]191907[/snapback][/right]

sry...it just soundin' so crappin' good. Well, could you recommend any good automotive glass shop? Is apple auto glass the same as speedy glass? or...
Speedy does it for $45, and have heard nothing but good things about their chip repairs. Bonus is, they're actually a GLASS shop!

As much as I love CT, I have an inherent issue with letting them actually FIX anything on my ride.
White 2001 ZX3
17" FRPP White Rally Wheels, KW Cup Kit (1.6"Wink, Progress 22mm Rear Sway, Short Ram Intake w/K&N Cone, Steeda 65mm TB, Ported 2k Manifold, FRPP 9mm Wires, MAC UDP, Clear Markers, OBX 4-1 Shorty Header, OBX ORP, FS Flex, 2nd Gen. MBRP Exhaust, FS/SCT Multi Chip

My Focus
My Photography
If you have the option, definitely take it to an automotive glass shop before you even think about Walmart/CanTire. Even if they charge a little more, you'll be getting work done by someone that works with glass all day rather than some kid taking a break from doing oil changes.
guilty,Jun 11 2006, 06:09 PM Wrote:If you have the option, definitely take it to an automotive glass shop before you even think about Walmart/CanTire.  Even if they charge a little more, you'll be getting work done by someone that works with glass all day rather than some kid taking a break from doing oil changes.
[right][snapback]192545[/snapback][/right]

BINGO!
That stuff being said, I've got chips in my windsheild too, but I know those are usually repairable. What I AM interested in, is if there is any kind of sealer/wax or repair for scratches in the glass surface. I have tons of bad scratches in my rear windsheild from using my rear wiper a lot (and from cleaning the back window a lot by hand...yea, dumb).

Thx
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
Drivesthebeast,Jun 18 2006, 02:42 PM Wrote:What I AM interested in, is if there is any kind of sealer/wax or repair for scratches in the glass surface.
[right][snapback]193776[/snapback][/right]

I would probably ask that question at either a glass repair shop or a good body shop. They'd be able to point you in the direction of the right product to use, and/or tell you if it's possible in the first place.
If the chip was there for a year, and hasn't split. Why repair it now? I don't think it's going anywhere.
Goto Apple Auto Glass .
damn it...

everyday at work there is this whole long ad on the radio for chip repair, and there is a whole schpeel about injecting a clear resin into the glass...and there is a cool jingle too..

but for the life of me...I cant tell you the bloody name of the place...

and the ad is soooo long and on at least 3-4 times a shift...

:lol:

...hope that helps!
yess I rule./.

speedy!

SpeedyAutoGlass

..'speedy glass repairs, speedy glass replaces..da da da'....

OWNED !

Go to speedy, my wife took her escape to canadian tire. This crack head looking guy went and coloured in the crack with his crayons and then put a black light on it for a few minutes. The chip is still visible, hasn't split i'll admit but it looks like ass.

I had a few chips fixed in my previous cars at speedy and I could never notice they ever were there after.
I've never filled a chip before (or had one filled) but I hear good things about Apple from co-workers.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I agree with adam. I just had my windshield replaced about a week and a half ago from Apple. Cause i had the same issue as you did, a rock from a transport got launched at me, me doing around 90 him doing the same (both going diff directions) and i followed the guy and their company paid for it..but isn't the point lol...apple does good work. But the work that's done also depends on what kinda people the place has working for them. Oh, and this is what my chip looked like lol

[Image: IMG_0564.jpg]
My windsehild cracked in 01.

Replaced it last year when i had to safety my car to buyout the loan! :lol:

I had mine done at apple auto glass in Ottawa. Cost for new window installed was $120.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
wow that's it? $120 to replace the whole glass windshield?

I just got quotes from both apple auto glass and speedy, apple was charging me $60 + tx and speedy was charging $71 + tx.

I got speedy to match apple's price so im getting mine done at speedy for $60+tx.....why so expensive? Did the price recently go up ?

How'd u get it done for $45?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Small Chip On Windshield cornflakes 4 1,320 09-15-2005, 06:13 AM
Last Post: Frost__2001