Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting Started On My Zx5
Hello, I am currently getting ready to start adding some performance parts to my Focus. If anyone can offer some suggestions/advice on parts it would be much appreciated. I like my ZX5 well enough and plan to spend a decent amout of money on some upgrades. I use the car as a daily driver and plan to have the car for some time. It's a 2002 Liquid gray ZX5 with 60000kms on it.

I would like to give the car some more highway passing power which I find to be it's biggest weakness. Also I would like to tighten up the supsension just a little bit. I don't want it to be a drag car or a slammed show car. I would like to set it up as a nice GT car, that is good for long trips on the highway. I need the car to start everytime and drive smooth. What I was thinking of getting for the car are as follows.

Performance
---------------
SVT Brake kit
SVT Suspension kit
Powerworks Supercharger
Torsen T-2 LSD
Clutch/Flywheel (no idea what brand)
Exhaust/Headers (no idea what brand)

Looks
-------
SVT body kit
Gray ST170 headlights
Euro upper grill
SVT Steering Wheel

I am having some problems picking out some of the parts. Especially the exhaust/headers/clutch flywheel. I would like to add a quality exhaust if I can find one that is quiet which also offers a performance boost. I would order a FocusSport Stealth but it isn't stainless. I would order a Borla but it's too loud. I'm not sure what other options I have on this.

Also are they anyother SVT parts I should add to my car (headers, cat, exhaust...etc)? I have no idea what to get for a clutch/flywheel combo. I need something that is very streetable but can hold the power of the PowerWorks kit and will last awhile.

Other parts I was considering adding are a J&S Safeguard and a larger or more efficent rad (if anyone makes one for the Focus).

Sorry for the long post. I appreciate any advise and look forward to this project.

-------------------------------

Currently I have made the follwing upgrades to my car. Ford factory Blaupunkt CD\MP3 player. Ford SVT Euro rims(dark argent), with Goodyear Eagle F1 tires. SVT Ebrake handle. Steeda Tri-axe short throw shifter.
i would suggest something other than the SVT suspension kit if you are doing all of that. Something along the lines of an H&R touring cup kit(1.5") drop if you are looking for something mild. if you are planing the list you have posted, you wont be happy with the SVT kit.

for the exhaust, a SVT header kit along with a high flow cat and a SVT Magnaflow exhaust would suit you well. in an ideal world, sourcing a Kamikaze race header, 2.5" flex and exhaust from Trubendz would work best for the application you are planning. for a little extra cost, you could get the guys at Truybendz to weld in a Magnaflow high flow cat into the exhaust for extra sound supression.

Clutches; we suggest the clutchnet clutches for the PW kits and sell both.
flywheel, either the Clutchnet 11lbs or the FS/Findanza flywheel will work, you would save about $40 going with the Clutchnet unit over the FS/Fidanza and the extra few lbs make it more suitable in stop-and-go traffic.

if you are looking at SVT brakes, get some Hawk HPS pads and SS lines front and back.

i personally prefer the Quaife LSDs to the FR Torsens, but the price is an issue there...

you do not need a J&S with the PW kit unless you are going to run 87oct or planning on uppiung the boost and running the hell out of the car at the track.
waste of money in my humble opinion....
ZX3TUNING,May 22 2006, 02:21 AM Wrote:i would suggest something other than the SVT suspension kit if you are doing all of that. Something along the lines of an H&R touring cup kit(1.5") drop if you are looking for something mild. if you are planing the list you have posted, you wont be happy with the SVT kit.

for the exhaust, a SVT header kit along with a high flow cat and a SVT Magnaflow exhaust would suit you well. in an ideal world, sourcing a Kamikaze race header, 2.5" flex and exhaust from Trubendz would work best for the application you are planning. for a little extra cost, you could get the guys at Truybendz to weld in a Magnaflow high flow cat into the exhaust for extra sound supression.

Clutches; we suggest the clutchnet clutches for the PW kits and sell both.
flywheel, either the Clutchnet 11lbs or the FS/Findanza flywheel will work, you would save about $40 going with the Clutchnet unit over the FS/Fidanza and the extra few lbs make it more suitable in stop-and-go traffic.

if you are looking at SVT brakes, get some Hawk HPS pads and SS lines front and back.

i personally prefer the Quaife LSDs to the FR Torsens, but the price is an issue there...

you do not need a J&S with the PW kit unless you are going to run 87oct or planning on uppiung the boost and running the hell out of the car at the track.
waste of money in my humble opinion....
[right][snapback]188819[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for the suggestions. Do you think H&R touring cup kit would ride as well as the SVT suspension? Would it be harsh? I would like my car to have a nice ride similar to stock with less body roll. I remeber reading so many good things about the SVT suspension when the SVT was being reviewed. I like that is only has a .5" drop too. I have no experence with either suspension however, so if you think I would be unhappy with the SVT I may have to reconsider.

I'm glad to see that your shop is in Canada. Do you sell many of the parts I was looking for? I was going to buy the suspension and brakes from McNews. Does the SVT brake kit come with rotors and pads? If it does I'll probably wear them out first then replace them with the ones you suggested. Are Hawk pads noisy?

The Clutchnet clutch/flywheel combo you suggest sounds good. I assume the Findanza flywheel is ligher? If so would that make it harder for stop and good traffic as you could have to rev the engine a bit more to take off without stalling? How much are you selling the Clutchnet clutch/flywheel for? I assume that the clutch would also last a while? I'm not hard on my car and almost never dump the clutch at anything over 3-4K.

How much louder do you think the exhaust you suggested would be over stock? Is the SVT Magnaflow exhaust stainless? Is it a 2.5" or 2.25" exhaust?

Thanks for the help :)
Mach5,May 22 2006, 01:03 PM Wrote:Thanks for the suggestions.  Do you think H&R touring cup kit would ride as well as the SVT suspension?  Would it be harsh?  I would like my car to have a nice ride similar to stock with less body roll.  I remeber reading so many good things about the SVT suspension when the SVT was being reviewed.  I like that is only has a .5" drop too.  I have no experence with either suspension however, so if you think I would be unhappy with the SVT I may have to reconsider.
the H&R cup kits ride extremely smoothly. probably the nicest package if you are looking for a comfortable ride with less body roll. if you want to further lessen the body roll, i suggest a stock front sway bar with a H&R 24mm Rear bar for a very neutral setup.

Quote:I'm glad to see that your shop is in Canada.  Do you sell many of the parts I was looking for?  I was going to buy the suspension and brakes from McNews.  Does the SVT brake kit come with rotors and pads?  If it does I'll probably wear them out first then replace them with the ones you suggested.  Are Hawk pads noisy?
I sell alot of the parts you were looking for.
I am the Canadian Distributor for the PW kits, as well as Clutchnet. i sell FS, Magnaflow, F2, H&R, OZ, Hawk, Russel Brake lines and a ton of other stuff.
if you are after the SVT brakes i suggest taking a look here... http://forums.focaljet.com/new-products-de...7-50-stock.html

Quote:The Clutchnet clutch/flywheel combo you suggest sounds good.  I assume the Findanza flywheel is ligher?  If so would that make it harder for stop and good traffic as you could have to rev the engine a bit more to take off without stalling?  How much are you selling the Clutchnet clutch/flywheel for?  I assume that the clutch would also last a while?  I'm not hard on my car and almost never dump the clutch at anything over 3-4K.
a lot of people say a lighter flywheel like the fidanza makes it had to drive in stop and go traffic. i had the FS(made by fidanza) flywheel in my car for years and never head a issues. usually it comes down to each person. the Clutchnet Clutch i suggested is $485cnd but does not include a t/o bearing or alignment tool.
the Flywheel is $430cnd. the clucth should last you a long time if you are not hard on it.

Quote:How much louder do you think the exhaust you suggested would be over stock?  Is the SVT Magnaflow exhaust stainless?  Is it a 2.5" or 2.25" exhaust?
[right][snapback]188850[/snapback][/right]
Which exhaust?
the SVT header kit, cat and magnaflow would make it noticably louder than stock but would produce a very nice, clean sound.
you would be happy with either option i suggested i think.
first off, congrats on the new car and welcome to the board.

EDIT: i posted something longer.. and instead i'm going to sum it up by saying ... before you get started, run the numbers and really make sure you are going to get something that is actually better in some meaningful way than what is already on the market elsewhere in stock form

naz,May 23 2006, 12:23 AM Wrote:first off, congrats on the new car and welcome to the board.

EDIT: i posted something longer.. and instead i'm going to sum it up by saying ... before you get started, run the numbers and really make sure you are going to get something that is actually better in some meaningful way than what is already on the market elsewhere in stock form
[right][snapback]188884[/snapback][/right]

I have thought about this a few times. Most of the cars I would like to get are pretty expensive. Mustang GT, Mazda 6 GT V6, Volvo S40 T5, WRX, the upcoming MazdaSpeed 3 and SRT-4. Most of these cars would be around 30,000 and up. Purchasing any of these cars would be a pretty big financial commitment. I would like the new car warranty though. With the Focus I can buy parts as I can afford them and don't have to lock myself into a 5 year purchase plan. Someday I hope to use the Focus as my winter/seconday car and have a nice sports car for my summer ride. Used 350Z, Mustang GT...etc.
Quote:Looks
-------
SVT body kit
Gray ST170 headlights
Euro upper grill
SVT Steering Wheel

That would look great on your ZX5! Excellent taste you have there.
As much as I love the suspension on my SVT, I'm always wishing it was a little lower. You should strongly consider ZX3TUNING's suggestion regarding the H&R
kit.
SVT ZX3,May 23 2006, 07:46 PM Wrote:
Quote:Looks
-------
SVT body kit
Gray ST170 headlights
Euro upper grill
SVT Steering Wheel

That would look great on your ZX5! Excellent taste you have there.
As much as I love the suspension on my SVT, I'm always wishing it was a little lower. You should strongly consider ZX3TUNING's suggestion regarding the H&R
kit.
[right][snapback]189050[/snapback][/right]

I'm thinking about it for sure. It looks like an awesome kit. It is $799 though. I like how the wheel sits inside the wheel well with the SVT kit though. The space between the tire and the wheel well is about the same for the entire uppper half of the wheel. When the car is lowered further, the distance becomes uneaven. I know it's just a for looks, but I like it when the wheel is centered in the wheel well.

Mach5,May 23 2006, 04:23 AM Wrote:I have thought about this a few times.  Most of the cars I would like to get are pretty expensive.  Mustang GT, Mazda 6 GT V6, Volvo S40 T5, WRX, the upcoming MazdaSpeed 3 and SRT-4.  Most of these cars would be around 30,000 and up.  Purchasing any of these cars would be a pretty big financial commitment.  I would like the new car warranty though.  With the Focus I can buy parts as I can afford them and don't have to lock myself into a 5 year purchase plan.  Someday I hope to use the Focus as my winter/seconday car and have a nice sports car for my summer ride.  Used 350Z, Mustang GT...etc.
[right][snapback]188892[/snapback][/right]

i feel you man.. i went through that same thought process a while ago.. i laid off on modifying and put that money towards a future car. also, price of a new sc kit you could get a used sport bike..... leave your car stock as a DD and jump on the bike when you want to go fast....
naz,May 23 2006, 09:13 PM Wrote:
Mach5,May 23 2006, 04:23 AM Wrote:I have thought about this a few times.  Most of the cars I would like to get are pretty expensive.  Mustang GT, Mazda 6 GT V6, Volvo S40 T5, WRX, the upcoming MazdaSpeed 3 and SRT-4.  Most of these cars would be around 30,000 and up.  Purchasing any of these cars would be a pretty big financial commitment.  I would like the new car warranty though.  With the Focus I can buy parts as I can afford them and don't have to lock myself into a 5 year purchase plan.  Someday I hope to use the Focus as my winter/seconday car and have a nice sports car for my summer ride.  Used 350Z, Mustang GT...etc.
[right][snapback]188892[/snapback][/right]

i feel you man.. i went through that same thought process a while ago.. i laid off on modifying and put that money towards a future car. also, price of a new sc kit you could get a used sport bike..... leave your car stock as a DD and jump on the bike when you want to go fast....
[right][snapback]189093[/snapback][/right]

Don't think I will be buying a bike though, not my thing. A sport bike would be the best thing for a speed fix on a budget though. What kind of car are you saving for?
After thinking it over for awhile I think I'll take ZX3Tuning's advice and get the H&R kit. Does anyone know if it will cause rubbing problems? I have 17" Ford Euro Rims and Goodyear Eagle F1 215/45/17 tires. Is this the H&R part number (Touring Cup Kit 31022T-1) the one you were suggesting ZX3tuning? Would I need both front (70665) and rear (71665) swaybars?
that looks like the part number, i'd have to double check.
as for the Sways, i suggest just the rear, the front bar would cause a hard understeer problem...

as for rub, we get minimal rub on the 2.5"+ cup kits on SVTs, you should not have any problem with the Touring cupkit, the EAP rims and 215/45/17 tires.
can i throw in my $0.02?

SHM suspension... love it... comes with springs, struts, shocks, sway bars (front and rear)... probably one of the best balanced kits out there... and you can get it for about $1,000 and installed for the cost of chinese takeout if you have the right friends.

The best part...

it only lowers your car about 1.5" ... can be run worry free over speed bumps, through snow, and the only downside is that your kidneys will rattle a bit more on long trips.. which means it's got proper dampening for the lowered ride.

I've driven in a lot of focuses, and as a daily driver that's capable of decent performance, I love the SHM kit.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Mach5,May 24 2006, 03:57 AM Wrote:Don't think I will be buying a bike though, not my thing.  A sport bike would be the best thing for a speed fix on a budget though.  What kind of car are you saving for?
[right][snapback]189137[/snapback][/right]
i picked up a stock 02 wrx with 44,600 miles on the odometer a few months ago. asking price was USD $15k. got a kawi ex500 as well rather than modifying the wrx.

EDIT: and my $.02 on paying money for suspension to get 'balance' and all that.. don't bother. i autoXd my integra and focus both in bone stock form except for better tires. there are always a bump of chumps who spend $$$$$$$$$$$ on their suspension and spend the whole day worrying about what this or that setting should be. still get beat by stock cars anyway.
naz,May 26 2006, 08:46 AM Wrote:EDIT: and my $.02 on paying money for suspension to get 'balance' and all that.. don't bother. i autoXd my integra and focus both in bone stock form except for better tires. there are always a bump of chumps who  spend $$$$$$$$$$$ on their suspension and spend the whole day worrying about what this or that setting should be. still get beat by stock cars anyway.
[right][snapback]189695[/snapback][/right]

true, the biggest performance improvement you can make is in the driver, but I'm not one who thinks he can 'fiddle' with the car to make it perform better.. that's why I'm happy to have gotten a pre-engineered (and complete) kit. I would honestly put my car up on the skidpad against a 'parts-bin' suspension and be pretty confident it performs better without me having to fiddle with anything.

That's why I recommend it.

You get just springs, your struts can't handle it. You get adjustable coilovers, you are suddenly dependent on making your suspension work. You replace just the rear strut bar, your car will be more likely to snap oversteer...

get everything done at once by a company that took the time to engineer all the matching components, and you have (in my opinion), a much more reliable, better performing suspension setup, with the trouble free stock-like setup.

The Focus' stock suspension can be a tad "floaty", but the SVT suspension is the #1 way to fix that. After that, it's a cost/expectations crapshoot.

Also, Puppet mentions an interesting point... don't bring your rear anti-sway up without bringing up the front accordingly... oversteer like that in a front-drive is... entertaining to say the least, especially at speed.

The last time I had that happen was at 120+ in a Matrix on the way back home from training in Toronto... on or around the Holland Landing. Matrixes apparently are twitchy as hell compared to any Focus I've ever driven and performed the same maneuver in... power-sliding at 120 just isn't confidence-inspiring in a front-driver.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
the stock suspension is fine. i don't know enough tech to argue it, but i believe people go faster when the car doesn't roll as much because they 'feel' better not because there is 'more traction' available. just my opinion.. street tires are the limit before the OE suspension is.

just admit we get suspension changes so the car looks 'hELlA TyTe' and so we can brag about the parts we got when we bench race :)
naz,May 26 2006, 02:29 PM Wrote:the stock suspension is fine.  i don't know enough tech to argue it, but i believe people go faster when the car doesn't roll as much because they 'feel' better not because there is 'more traction' available.  just my opinion.. street tires are the limit before the OE suspension is.

just admit we get suspension changes so the car looks 'hELlA TyTe' and so we can brag about the parts we got when we bench race  :)
[right][snapback]189763[/snapback][/right]

I definitely don't disagree with you.. but that's why I have a hard time shutting up when people start talking suspension... everyone's gonna do it for the looks, but that's why you have people putting their cars into guard rails.. because they put all the effort into the looks, and end up with a car that handles worse.

so instead of recommending people stick with stock suspension (which they won't do), I'd rather they get a full kit than slap springs on and make the car handle worse.

I'm not really qualified to say so, but most people are impressed with the way my car rides... it's a great kit.

I agree you're way better off getting a kit that is properly matched but I don't really have any complaints about my setup. I did get the lowest drop I could to be honest cause this will be the last car I intend to " slam " and the focus stock is a 4x4.

I think if you do your research you can make your own setup that works well, not everyone wants or can afford a full kit. But with that much effort involved just get the eibach/H&R/SHM kits and be done with it in one shot *if* you can afford it :)
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
*deep breath*
i hate to say it guys but having driven a few or a lot of cars with different suspensions on the street is not an accurate way to suggest one product over another.
I'd wager dollars to doughnuts that the cars you guys have driven or ridden in where not pushed anywhere close to the limits so suggesting one kit over another for "performance" is not a reliable suggestion. If you want to comment on a strictly "comfort/sporty" feel, go right ahead. :)

I'm not saying the SHM kit is or is not a nice kit, however when we had it on our Yellow ZX3 Pre and post V6 swap, the car really did not perform as well as you make it sound at the limit.
oh and for the skidpad/slolom/autoX, i'd put an H&R cup kit and H&R rear bar over pretty much any other "of the shelf" setup.

as for having to dial in suspension, that really is a comment based on bad word of mouth info.
suspension setup is not hard or some magical "black art" at the level you can buy parts at for the focus.
Coilovers are pretty easy to setup, adjust the ride height to about where you want it, get it corner weighted and you are finished. that's it, no other major adjustments need to be made. no major adjustments need to be made for the addition of other parts either; sway bars, extra camber, strut bars.
if you are getting into dampening adjustable coilovers and do not track the car seriously then you are very simply wasting your money and time. you will not be able to dial said coilovers in unless you are a very skilled and consistant driver who undertands how a little extra dampening in the back will alter the car's handling over say, more rear sway and a little extra camber.

personally for light track use and AutoX i suggest sport kits as the most important part about being fast is knowing the car and learning it's handling. sport kits do not allow any adjustments and thus make you focus on your driving without having the itch to try different settings. SEAT TIME makes you a better driver, not parts.

when it all comes down to it, TIRES are the single most important part of a suspension which is why i shake my head when i see some of you guys suggest crap like those Nexxan or BFG KDW tires as a "performance" tire. i hate to say it but a lot of you guys pass off hearsay as fact on other people, many of you have not even tried the things you suggest. there is a big difference between a "perfomance tire" and a "low profile"... most of you guys run "low profile tires." :)

simple fact, more rear bar = a more neutral handling FWD car.
this IS what you want if you are even remotely concerned with performance.
Yes, it can make the car difficult to drive at the limit which is good as it will make you a beter driver once you get it.
but then again, if you are being an asshat and driving at the limit on public roads, then maybe swaping ends into a gaurdrail might be what you need to bring you back to reality not to do such stupid things. Seriously, i mean that! do not drive like an ass on public roads!

I have driven most of the available suspensions for the Focus on the street and a lot of those same setups at the AutoX or on closed test circuits.
are there better Setups than what i have suggested? of course but for the average person in the average car you will have a hard time finding a better setup than either H&R cupkits with a H&R 24mm rear bar; both for performance handling as well as a nice smooth and comfortable ride.

i have tried 8 different suspension setups on my Silver car: H&R big drop cup kit, H&R coilovers, Eibach Pro System, Eibach Sportline system, Gossow Sport kit, FK coilovers, Intrax springs on stock shocks and the Vogtland(sp) sport kit.

the H&R cup kit was by far the nicest ride with extremely solid handling but the drop was too much for my euro bumpers.. :P

the H&R coilovers were nice but i found them to be underdampened at the limit and there was to much compliance due to softer spring rates designed for the street more than the track.

i HATED the Sportline system with a passion, i have never come across such a badly setup "matched Setup" ever. sprinsg were too soft, dampners too hard, just a bad option unless you can find a really good deal on them and are looking for that exact drop, i'd still pay for the bigdrop H&R cupkit over getting a sportline system for free!

Prokit was decent but at the limit it was not anything to rave about.

intrax sprinsg on stock shocks, this was the first setup on the car, actually came with the car and wasn't bad intill it whiped out thed shocks. needless to say, Springs on stock shocks/struts is never a good choice for "performance" driving. :)

FK coilovers, decent for the money, comparable to the H&R coilovers but more compliance at the limit and the spring rates were not balanced propperly front to rear to make them a contender at the AutoX or Track in my opinion.

Vogtland(sp) sport kit, nice it for the money, decent ride, decent in turns, defiantely not a kit designed to be drive at or near the limit in any way. good option for a street cruiser if on a budget.

and finally the Gossow Sport kit, one of 3 in exsistance in NA which replaced the Intrax kit and which always seems to make it back onto my car.
this is the hardest, most perfomance oriented sport kit i have come across to date, and one of the reasons why it always makes it back on to my car after each suspension i have tested. not the smoothest kit by any means but that was not the selling point to this kit. Designed originally as a Track-based sport kit, it has near perfectly matches springs rates front and rear and the dampening is also matched perfectly to each srping rate respectively.
this sport kit with an Eibach rear bar, Kumho V700 tires, Quaife LSD and 4.06 final drive lead me to the 2nd in FSP and 3rd in rookie standings. very neutral with off-throttle overstear available upon command which was clean and controlable becasue of the springs rates and dampening and the LSD allowed power to be apllied to drag the car back online without fail. same setup pulled .98g combind both ways around a 100ft skidpad and would pull 1.05g on track.

i have tested with more than a few different setups, front bars are a WASTE of money unless: A.) you like it when a car plows through corners at or near the limit. B.) have HUGE rear bar and track the car seriously. C.) enjoy talking about driving your car more than actually driving said car! D.) bragging online about how you have front and rear sway bars! ;) :P

Running the Eibach front and rear bars added almost 2 seconds or more to my times while AutoXing and 3-5 seconds to my average lap times over just the rear bar on the same setup.

take it for what it's worth...