Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sway Bar Recommendation
Hey guys, need an opinion here.. So my 2009 Focus SES already has what is I think a 20mm read sway bar. I'll be dropping it soon with an FRPP kit. Do you guys think this RSB is good enough or should I go bigger? What else compliments a drop? I currently have a strut tower bar.

Thanks!

--Chad
2009 Focus SES Black Sedan Mods:

FSWerks CAI / F2 Header (non-fouler mod) custom flex / 2.5" FSwerks Stealth Stainless exhaust / FSWerks X3 tune / Autolite 104's / Steeda Strut Tower Bar / FRPP 1.5" drop / FSWerks FLS Bar / H&R 24mm RSB / MOOG endlinks / AEM wideband AFR gauge / 8000K HID Bi-xenon 55W / Tint / 17" Ford Racing Rally Wheels in Black / Coupe tails / Black grille

124whp/129wtq
Your sway bars should be fine if you drop.

Depending on how much drop you do, you might be able to get away with camber bolts and 1deg plates. If you go really low, you'll need a camber arm on each side of the rear and a 5 deg plate for each front. All depends as well on if you care about how much your tires wear.

IIRC, the FRPP kit drops F1.5" and R1.75", you should be able to get away with camber bolts and 1deg plates.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
all depends... what do you like doing with your car?

if your into Autox or want to improve handling, id upgrade to something like a 25mm RSB
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
Hey Chad. On my 02 ZX5 I did the Eibach Pro-Kit springs and didn't need to change anything. Everything lined up within spec when the alignment was done. My drop is 1.5" and I used the stock struts (originals, 7 years old). I have had them in there for about 1.5yrs and I haven't run into any problems.

All I can say is with the lower centre of gravity the car handles a lot better now than it ever did. BTW I am also using the OEM sway bars.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Cool, thanks for the info guys!

FSWerks CAI / F2 Header (non-fouler mod) custom flex / 2.5" FSwerks Stealth Stainless exhaust / FSWerks X3 tune / Autolite 104's / Steeda Strut Tower Bar / FRPP 1.5" drop / FSWerks FLS Bar / H&R 24mm RSB / MOOG endlinks / AEM wideband AFR gauge / 8000K HID Bi-xenon 55W / Tint / 17" Ford Racing Rally Wheels in Black / Coupe tails / Black grille

124whp/129wtq
My advice, keep the stock sways. See how the car handles after the new kit is put on, and go from there. If this is just a street car, no point changing the bars. If you're going to have it on the track, try it out and see how it feels before blowing cash on something you may not need.

In all my experience, the stock sway bars on the autocross track worked just fine. Car was planted around the corners without and slipping or thinking it was going to let loose.
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
Alright cool.. So is there really a huge difference with just a 1.5" drop? I've heard people claim "it handles like a go-kart" after doing this.. lol

124whp/129wtq
tetra,Aug 24 2009, 11:43 AM Wrote:Alright cool.. So is there really a huge difference with just a 1.5" drop? I've heard people claim "it handles like a go-kart" after doing this.. lol
[right][snapback]293168[/snapback][/right]

All depends on what type of springs you get. Different springs have different rates.

I know with my Eibach pro kit's they feel pretty good, but no where like the go cart feel.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
tetra,Aug 24 2009, 10:43 AM Wrote:Alright cool.. So is there really a huge difference with just a 1.5" drop? I've heard people claim "it handles like a go-kart" after doing this.. lol
[right][snapback]293168[/snapback][/right]

Definately not a go kart feel lol maybe once you do strut/shock combo you will feel that way. The frpp kit, is that the KW springs like ive got? if so very nice a stiff springs, i like them a lot, work well with the KYB AGX shocks i put in on my 4 door. It all depends how you like your cornering as well, i like hitting corners, on ramps and roundabouts and getting thru em nice an smooth/quickly, i tossed a 28.6mm RSB on mine with the KYB AGX shocks and KW springs. stock front sway and i get no over steer with how i have everything set up. works really nicely on windy roads and on ramps.
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
Well I am doing shocks/struts at the same time I put the springs in.
M-18000-ZX3B shocks/struts
M-5560-ZX3B springs

That's what I got. Eibach doesn't make damper kits for 2008+ yet :(

124whp/129wtq
Are you planning on driving this car in the winter? IIRC, if you put on stiffer swaybars on the back, the back end will tend to oversteer more often on snow/ice when turning.

I think I'm just gonna leave the RSB stock.. Which is 20mm I believe.
It's my DD all year round.

124whp/129wtq
IMO sway bars make a big diference , I have Eibach sways with little stiffer lowering springs and OEM shocks and struts and made big change in handling
may I ask why you choose the M-18000-ZX3B shocks/struts instead of the M-5560-ZXM dampers?

I was thinking of using the same springs but would the 5560 dampers not be match for the springs?

DRyanC

EDIT: nevermind, something is wierd with the part numbers on capaldiracing.
2000 Black ZX3 (sold)
2007 Liquid Grey ZX5 ses (sold)
2007 CD Silver ZXW ses
2013 F150 crew xlt 4x4 blue flame