Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nitogen
what are the advantages of inflating your tires with nitrogen???

has anyone seen tried or heard of this?
I've heard of it being done. If what i remember from chemistry class serves me, the reasons for using nitrogen over air is that 1, its less affected by temperature than air meaning that your tire pressure won't change as much, and 2) nitrogen has bigger molecules which leads to less air pressure loss.

Whether using nitrogen over air is much of advantage, that i couldn't tell you. Would i pay for it over air, prolly not. I know some places will fill your tires for free with it instead of air. For free i might consider it.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

I think Costco advertises this at their tire centres.

A guy at work bought his tires at Costco and they filled his tires with nitrogen. They replaced his black valve cap covers with green ones too.
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
dBlast,Apr 26 2006, 06:05 AM Wrote:I think Costco advertises this at their tire centres. 

A guy at work bought his tires at Costco and they filled his tires with nitrogen.  They replaced his black valve cap covers with green ones too.
[right][snapback]183385[/snapback][/right]

hmm..I wonder if green is like a marker of something cause I had an infiniti in about 3 weeks ago that had green caps..I thought it looked dumb ...
It does nothing for the standard driver and car. Except empty their pockets a little more.

Not something you need to bother with.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
meford4u,Apr 26 2006, 07:40 AM Wrote:It does nothing for the standard driver and car.  Except empty their pockets a little more.

[right][snapback]183396[/snapback][/right]

Then Dean is all over it! :P
ANTHONYD,Apr 26 2006, 08:11 AM Wrote:
meford4u,Apr 26 2006, 07:40 AM Wrote:It does nothing for the standard driver and car.  Except empty their pockets a little more.

[right][snapback]183396[/snapback][/right]

Then Dean is all over it! :P
[right][snapback]183422[/snapback][/right]

I checked it on the internet and found this site thru google, god bless that google site.
http://www.autotechnicalsolutions.com/inde...OD&ProdID=18912
Car Run Down for past 5 years:

Make / Model / Year / Status

Ford / Focus Sedan / 01 / STOLEN/WROTE OFF
Pontiac / Grand AM SE / 98 / STOLEN/Location still unknown
Dodge / SX 2.0 Sport / 04 / DRIVEWAY (lowjacked equip)

I HATE THIEVING PUNKS!!!!
(can the car gods make it three cars in a row to be stolen?)
Habmann is bang on.

And yes, you usually get green stem caps with the fill. Mine was free, and I switched back to my black caps.

*Waits for some arse to point out that air is mostly nitrogen anyways*
White 2001 ZX3
17" FRPP White Rally Wheels, KW Cup Kit (1.6"Wink, Progress 22mm Rear Sway, Short Ram Intake w/K&N Cone, Steeda 65mm TB, Ported 2k Manifold, FRPP 9mm Wires, MAC UDP, Clear Markers, OBX 4-1 Shorty Header, OBX ORP, FS Flex, 2nd Gen. MBRP Exhaust, FS/SCT Multi Chip

My Focus
My Photography
Quote:Nitrogen Tire Filling System - Nitrogen Generator IR N2G17FP 

List Price   Your Price 
$5,900.00    $6,335.01

Why would anyone pay more than list for this or anything else? I don't get it.
But I do understand the benifits of the nitrogen filled tires. We used it in our Modified and our Super Late Model.

Edit: 300th post. Woohoo!!!!!!
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Wonder if nitrogen filled tires combined with a spark would make interesting boom or not.
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP
http://members.cardomain.com/phantom66
Mods so far : Mazda 3 Wiper Arm, Shorty Antenna, Alpine CDA-9887 HU, 17" Enkei Evo6 Hyper Black Nexen N3000 215/45/17
2010 World Rally Blue Subaru Impreza WRX STi
I can't imagine that they would fill a tire with an explosive gas.

Wouldn't make much sense.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

habmann,Apr 27 2006, 01:02 PM Wrote:I can't imagine that they would fill a tire with an explosive gas.

[right][snapback]183700[/snapback][/right]
See that's what I can't remember if nitrogen was flammable or not. Imagine the bigbadaboom tho if it is.
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP
Mods so far : Mazda 3 Wiper Arm, Shorty Antenna, Alpine CDA-9887 HU, 17" Enkei Evo6 Hyper Black Nexen N3000 215/45/17
Phantom,Apr 27 2006, 04:46 PM Wrote:
habmann,Apr 27 2006, 01:02 PM Wrote:I can't imagine that they would fill a tire with an explosive gas.

[right][snapback]183700[/snapback][/right]
See that's what I can't remember if nitrogen was flammable or not. Imagine the bigbadaboom tho if it is.
[right][snapback]183726[/snapback][/right]

I'm pretty sure that Nitrogen isn't flammable. If it was, that would be about as bright as filling a blimp with hydrogen.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Go

And, who on earth would fill a blimp with Hydrogen *cough*Hinderburg*cough*

No, nitrogen is an inert gas. Its the oxygen in air that aids combustion.
White 2001 ZX3
17" FRPP White Rally Wheels, KW Cup Kit (1.6"Wink, Progress 22mm Rear Sway, Short Ram Intake w/K&N Cone, Steeda 65mm TB, Ported 2k Manifold, FRPP 9mm Wires, MAC UDP, Clear Markers, OBX 4-1 Shorty Header, OBX ORP, FS Flex, 2nd Gen. MBRP Exhaust, FS/SCT Multi Chip

My Focus
My Photography
Casper,Apr 27 2006, 03:16 PM Wrote:And, who on earth would fill a blimp with Hydrogen *cough*Hinderburg*cough*

No, nitrogen is an inert gas. Its the oxygen in air that aids combustion.
[right][snapback]183738[/snapback][/right]
So Flame or spark + Nitrogen + Air = Big Boom? Haha I got some tires I wanna fill with some nitrogen now :D Mmm pranks.
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP
Technically, nitrogen gas isn't "inert" but it's pretty close (only noble gasses like Helium, Argon and Neon are completely inert), it has a low reactivity. If it was completely inert it would not combine with oxygen to produce nitrous oxide (which is combustible) and nitrogen dioxide.

The advantage of using nitrogen is that when it's pumped in it has very little humidity (moisture), and no oxygen -- which keeps the inner rim from rusting/oxidizing (causing rim leaks) and the vulcanized rubber from oxidizing. It also tends not to expand as much when heated when compared to regular air, avoiding too great of a pressure rise when the tires get hot.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
sparky's right..

not really necessary for most people tho..
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

darkpuppet,Apr 28 2006, 12:56 PM Wrote:sparky's right..

[right][snapback]183919[/snapback][/right]
Just the lazy people who don't want to check and fill their tires. :D
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP
darkpuppet,Apr 28 2006, 02:56 PM Wrote:sparky's right..

[right][snapback]183919[/snapback][/right]

No but its another gimmick that they can charge unknowing customers more for.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Go

Most performance shops offer it for free.... they gave me the choice when I got mine done.
White 2001 ZX3

My Focus
My Photography