FocusCanada Forums
You're rusty when... - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Technobabble (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Basics (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: You're rusty when... (/showthread.php?tid=18543)

You're rusty when... - NOS2Go4Me - 11-09-2010

MAF sensor removal - I got lazy and removed the housing and sensor from the intake tract Tongue but only because the torx bolts weren't quite torx bolts.

I remember hearing them being called "security" torx bolts.

When it comes time to remove that MAF for whatever reason, how the hell do you get it out? And why don't I recall having this issue with the SPI?

RE: You're rusty when... - Gabriel - 11-09-2010

I had to remove the MAF twice , once when I have installed the short ram intake and then when I have replaced it with the cold air intake , but never had a problem with the little bolts .

(11-09-2010, 10:38 AM)NOS2Go4Me Wrote: MAF sensor removal - I got lazy and removed the housing and sensor from the intake tract Tongue but only because the torx bolts weren't quite torx bolts.

I remember hearing them being called "security" torx bolts.

When it comes time to remove that MAF for whatever reason, how the hell do you get it out? And why don't I recall having this issue with the SPI?

RE: You're rusty when... - Focus man. Focus. - 11-09-2010

They are called Tamper Proof Torx Bolts. The one with the tit in the middle. My K&N Intake came with the tool when I needed to swap the MAF over. I still have it kicking around here somewhere. Or you can get a set at Princess Auto for less than $20 I think.

RE: You're rusty when... - hardk0re - 11-09-2010

This is what you need:
http://www.princessauto.com/workshop/hand-tools/driving-tools/bits/2920513-33-pc-security-bit-set

RE: You're rusty when... - reldridge - 11-09-2010

You can get a two pack at Canadian Tire for under $5 bucks. They are in the drill bit section. Can't remember the size though...

RE: You're rusty when... - Oscar The Grouch - 11-09-2010

i have these at home adam if you need them.

RE: You're rusty when... - NOS2Go4Me - 11-09-2010

Thanks for all of the feedback boys, much appreciated. I finally managed to sort out the last of the stumbles and such. Oscar, I may need to borrow them later.

Cleaning the MAF yesterday with Oscar's electronics cleaner helped, but the real culprit was definitely... wait for it... the @%@$#% FING Steeda 8MM wires!

Driving it around since I bought it from Stan, it was always a bitch to get it to pull through 6K. It would go, but it dragged its ass doing so. Pulling through in 3rd? Fuggedaboutit. Just grab 4th.

Uh, not now. *evil grin*. Now it's as smooth as my old ZX5.

Given how it drove with the new plugs, coilpack and fuel filter vs. now with the new wires - wow. And the OE replacements are 8mm apparently. That's more than good enough for me until I go FI in the spring.

RE: You're rusty when... - j3rt - 11-10-2010

T20 bit.