FocusCanada Forums
Poor Idle - Printable Version

+- FocusCanada Forums (//www.focuscanada.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Technobabble (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Focus on Performance (//www.focuscanada.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Poor Idle (/showthread.php?tid=4884)

Poor Idle - howie321 - 08-24-2007

need some MORE help people...installed new spi motor, it did run good, at an idle it runs rough. I put pressure on torque converter when i put it in Drive, with foot on the break, its runs even worse (vibration). Now when i stop at a light, sitting in idle when the motor gets hot after driving it for 20 minutes, the battery light comes on and runs real rough, as soon as i touch the accelerator, it runs fine. ALWAYS. at an idle the alternator is charging between 14-15V, but it still runs rough and throws the Battery light on, and it stays on. I think i have a poor idling problem, but dont know where to start, the motor only has 58,000k on it.

If i could get some feedback that would be awsome.

Thanks,

Ian

Poor Idle - oldeguy - 08-24-2007

Loose accessory belt? Idler pulley?

Poor Idle - NOS2Go4Me - 08-24-2007

Coil? Sparkplug wires? (unlikely on the second one, but who knows).

Hmmm... fuel filter? Were the injectors fouled at all or did you install new ones?

EDIT - you're charging OVER 14V at IDLE? That's nuts! Check your battery's voltage and see if it's being overcharged. You might blow the sonovagun if you're not careful.

ya, 15.2 I was getting lastnight, i have a tiburon it blew every little bulb in the thing, my alternator was overcharging, could this be the same thing??

how much should i expect from it? 13-14 right? im used to buses chargine sometimes well over 15

could I also have a vacuum leak??

Poor Idle - Oscar The Grouch - 08-24-2007

howie321,Aug 23 2007, 02:51 PM Wrote:ya, 15.2 I was getting lastnight, i have a tiburon it blew every little bulb in the thing, my alternator was overcharging, could this be the same thing??

how much should i expect from it? 13-14 right? im used to buses chargine sometimes well over 15

could I also have a vacuum leak??
[right][snapback]247444[/snapback][/right]

Don't alternators have a little clutch like device, similar to that used on an A/C? If so, maybe the alternator is stuck on.

Poor Idle - naz - 08-24-2007

did you try swapping out the battery? maybe the battery itself cant hold the charge

alright, figured it out, i put the meter on the battery in park, wiggled the 3 wires on the alternator, it ran rough, seems that when i swapped the motor, i didnt press in the plug far enough :angry: in a hurry i guess, so it must have threw the comp off. as well when i did it the meter went from 12v to almost 16! pressed it in all the way until it clicked! ran great...

Poor Idle - blue_light - 08-24-2007

I am having the exact same problem with mine I have had the problem for about 2 months biggest pain to drive in town. I will try that with the altenater hopefully thats it. If someone else could think of what it could be let me know.

Poor Idle - naz - 08-30-2007

howie321,Aug 23 2007, 09:02 PM Wrote:alright, figured it out, i put the meter on the battery in park, wiggled the 3 wires on the alternator, it ran rough, seems that when i swapped the motor, i didnt press in the plug far enough  :angry: in a hurry i guess, so it must have threw the comp off. as well when i did it the meter went from 12v to almost 16! pressed it in all the way until it clicked! ran great...
[right][snapback]247455[/snapback][/right]
NICE.. glad that's all it was

Poor Idle - NOS2Go4Me - 08-30-2007

I totally lost track of this thread... good stuff!