Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White Powder On Pos. Post
Can Anybody tell me why i always find white powder on my battery positive post. i just changed the alternator and battery. the only thing wrong that i noticed, is that sometimes my gage needles go back and forth. Thank you
did you use that grease on the terminal?!

I forget the name...mine is purple..
Time to break out the Vaseline.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
sounds like oxidation on the terminal, it happens when these parts (battery & battery cables) age, over time it will build up, it's not uncommon and happens to almost every car out there. Best thing to do is use a wire brush to clean the area and then use electric grease on it before you put it back on.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
use bakeing soda and water mixed together to clean the top and posts of the battery to get ride of the buildup that your talking about.

coating the terminals with white lithium grease works well to, to help prevent the corrosion buildup
Below Average Car Club
It's coke.

Snort it.

K seriously, it's likely battery acid that's crusted up, or as others have mentioned, oxidation. Buy some $5 terminal cleaners at canadian tire, and have at 'er.
why are you guy coating the battery terminal with grease, your just adding more resistance into the system.
'03 Focus SVT
FocusGuy7476,Feb 23 2006, 11:28 PM Wrote:why are you guy coating the battery terminal with grease, your just adding more resistance into the system.
[right][snapback]172037[/snapback][/right]
Actually dielectric grease would not cause any problems. Used with Massive overclocking on computers. People who goto Sub-temps or phaze change systems use the dielectic grease in the socket where the cpu plugins to prevent mositure. Very Good at it's job.
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP
http://members.cardomain.com/phantom66
Mods so far : Mazda 3 Wiper Arm, Shorty Antenna, Alpine CDA-9887 HU, 17" Enkei Evo6 Hyper Black Nexen N3000 215/45/17
2010 World Rally Blue Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Lithium grease.
i second using di-electric grease. it wont cause resistance problems because it acts like the coating on your wires, theres still conductivity underneath, but prevents water from touching exposed areas preventing corrosion build-up.
My other ride is your Mom
You have the Johnny Depp-package Focus. Nothing to see here... *snort* move along...
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
ANTHONYD,Feb 24 2006, 08:42 AM Wrote:Lithium grease.
[right][snapback]172061[/snapback][/right]

... You sure 'bout that Anthony? I mean I use that stuff on my leg brace to keep it moving freely ;)

NefCanuck
You guys think I'm kidding about the Vaseline don't you?

You should listen to the old schoolers more often:

http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com/tech...s_batterys.html

Google "vaseline battery posts" yourself if you wish.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
or you could just clean the battery cables and posts every few months. if your lazy by putting vaseline or any type of grease on the battery post, you must have more money than brains.
'03 Focus SVT