Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modded Chips (not The Humpty Dumpty Type Either)
Can someone please explain what the hell "changing the chip" in a vehicle means. Okay, i'm a bit of a retard and new to the Ford Family, so i figured i would get as many dumb questions outta the way now.

I wanna do some stuff to the car, obviously and wanna do it right the first time, instead of making the expensive mistakes. I mean i do plan on winning the lottery eventually, but until then, i have to keep mistakes to a minimum.

K, going back to the "chip"...is this a hard job, big job, easy? what what what...someone tell me...

:( :( :( :(
"The weak shall inherit...........NOTHING"
Mods so far:
- 2 Inch Drop, Focus Sport Cold Air Intake, Street Glow 4 light strobe system,MBRP Cat back exhaust, 35% tint on front windows, 5% all around the rear. 1 Million Color Flowlighting Underglow kit, Inside and out. SPEEDHUT custom indiglo Guages, Sirius Satellite Radio, Pioneer DH6800 Deck, 15" Solo-Baric L7 Sub,Enkei 17 inch rims, Belltronic Radar Detector
Ok, well i have a chip in my glovebox and its been there since last year, When the gas prices started climbing. The most important question you have to ask yourself is why do you need a chip? unless you have done major mods( turbo/supercharger) i dont think its really worth it. Considering you have to put high octane gas once you have got the chip. it becomes very costly.
is it easy to change? yeah sure. pretty easy ( well atleast my superchip) was. take the comp module out and sand off the end and slap on the new one. I know there were how to do's while back here. Do a search and i'm sure you can find it.

You might also want to get a chip if you are planning on removing you speedlimiter. In some cases( me) it didnt work. Limiter stayed. So that was useless, hence why the chip is in my glovebox rather then on the comp module.

Best of luck

Mo

"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

mo_focus,Aug 16 2005, 05:37 PM Wrote:Ok, well i have a chip in my glovebox and its been there since last year, When the gas prices started climbing. The most important question you have to ask yourself is why do you need a chip? unless you have done major mods( turbo/supercharger) i dont think its really worth it. Considering you have to put high octane gas once you have got the chip. it becomes very costly.
is it easy to change? yeah sure. pretty easy ( well atleast my superchip) was. take the comp module out and sand off the end and slap on the new one. I know there were how to do's while back here. Do a search and i'm sure you can find it.

You might also want to get a chip if you are planning on removing you speedlimiter. In some cases( me) it didnt work. Limiter stayed. So that was useless, hence why the chip is in my glovebox rather then on the comp module.

Best of luck

Mo
[right][snapback]133143[/snapback][/right]

I don't think that every program you get forces you to run higher octane? it depends on the program you are running I think. Eventually I will get a chip mainly to turn off the emissions.

wanna sell PM me :)
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
My opninion is just get the Xcal2 flasher for $450. Dont have to mess around with the ecu or any chips. Can go back and forth between tune and stock plus you get a OBD2 reader and datalogger.
ZX3TUNR,Aug 18 2005, 10:11 AM Wrote:My opninion is just get the Xcal2 flasher for $450. Dont have to mess around with the ecu or any chips. Can go back and forth between tune and stock plus you get a OBD2 reader and datalogger.
[right][snapback]133797[/snapback][/right]

Are this things (Xcal2) hard to use? do you need to be a rocket scientist to understand what your doing??
Mods so far:
- 2 Inch Drop, Focus Sport Cold Air Intake, Street Glow 4 light strobe system,MBRP Cat back exhaust, 35% tint on front windows, 5% all around the rear. 1 Million Color Flowlighting Underglow kit, Inside and out. SPEEDHUT custom indiglo Guages, Sirius Satellite Radio, Pioneer DH6800 Deck, 15" Solo-Baric L7 Sub,Enkei 17 inch rims, Belltronic Radar Detector
no. there easier then the chip

you plug it into obd port, xcal turns on, bring you to a menu and ask what you want to do, click custom tune, then it shows the loaded tunes and ask what one, choose the tune press select, message comes up and tell you to put key in on position and press select, wait a minute to load, xcal2 says whens its done, turn key off and unplug.

its super easy. pushing the clutch in and out is harder work.
awesome...hmm, where can i pick this little magic box up??
Mods so far:
Mitch aka Zx3tuning.com

You get 3 tunes with it also with a bunch of goodies/options to choose from. Im sure Mitch can help you out decide what options to pic.