Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Material Choice Help
I'm thinking of making a wood floor for my hatch in the trunk part. I want to cut out a square in the top left corner so my sub box could sit in it and not move around. I also want to have a door that I can open and access the spare tire if necessary. What material should I use to make the floor out of? Wood? What type? Thickness? Help me out guys!
1/2" MDF?
01-yellow-ZX3,Sep 16 2004, 06:01 PM Wrote:1/2" MDF?
But I'm taking all things into consideration. I like the idea of a 1/2" or 3/4" depth. But I'm also worried about any water that may be spilled in my trunk say from an umbrella or such, also will MDF stand up to the test of time? I will also be covering it with either carpeting or speaker box material, but something durrable none the less. Also weight preservation is a slight issue. Keep the ideas coming.
I don't think a small amount of water will hurt the mdf, especially under carpet or anything.

I made a dish mount for a friend's apartment. And it mounted to his balcony with 2 pieces of MDF. He's since moved, and reinstalled the same mount, and the MDF is still fine after a year of being out in the elements and snow etc.
umm... MDF = Compressed cardboard = sponge when wet?

Plus it's heavier than ply.

If I were you, I would make it out of 1/2" ply. No need to go 5/8 or 3/4... think about how thick the backing is now. It rests on the metal, and you've got all the support you need. You could even get away w/ 3/8 and put a second layer to mount the sub box in. So it would look like the following:

____________| |_____________| |
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
You could also treat the MDF, but its inside a trunk, how wet can it get...

MDF doesn't act like a sponge like you'd think.

And its cheapppp. A 2X4' sheet at Rona is only $8, 4X4 is $13ish (both 1/2") and they'll cut it for free.
MDF swells like crazy if any moisture touches it's sides and it's not treated. I sell the stuff. A 4x8 sheet of MDF is gonna run you about the same as a 4x8 of ply. Unfortunately, we don't see 4x4 except in 1/4" ply
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
Quit screwing around with MDF and go to the lumber yard and ask for a sheet of MARINE GRADE PLYWOOD. You can get it wet al you want, it is used for subflooring for boats. I work with wood all the time and this is what you want.

I'm done here

TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
Marine grade's good, so's pressure treated or fire-rated, but realistically, if you use a rubberbacked carpet, you can put any kinda ply
2000 Black ZX3
Raine,Sep 16 2004, 06:56 PM Wrote:So it would look like the following:

____________| |_____________| |
Al, I don't exactly understand what I'm looking at here!
meford4u,Sep 17 2004, 12:06 AM Wrote:Quit screwing around with MDF and go to the lumber yard and ask for a sheet of MARINE GRADE PLYWOOD. You can get it wet al you want, it is used for subflooring for boats. I work with wood all the time and this is what you want.

I'm done here
Just what I was going to say. Marine Grade is so good that it is not just used on recreational boats but commercial ships as well.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!