Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poor Idle
need some MORE help people...installed new spi motor, it did run good, at an idle it runs rough. I put pressure on torque converter when i put it in Drive, with foot on the break, its runs even worse (vibration). Now when i stop at a light, sitting in idle when the motor gets hot after driving it for 20 minutes, the battery light comes on and runs real rough, as soon as i touch the accelerator, it runs fine. ALWAYS. at an idle the alternator is charging between 14-15V, but it still runs rough and throws the Battery light on, and it stays on. I think i have a poor idling problem, but dont know where to start, the motor only has 58,000k on it.

If i could get some feedback that would be awsome.

Thanks,

Ian
Loose accessory belt? Idler pulley?
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
Coil? Sparkplug wires? (unlikely on the second one, but who knows).

Hmmm... fuel filter? Were the injectors fouled at all or did you install new ones?

EDIT - you're charging OVER 14V at IDLE? That's nuts! Check your battery's voltage and see if it's being overcharged. You might blow the sonovagun if you're not careful.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
ya, 15.2 I was getting lastnight, i have a tiburon it blew every little bulb in the thing, my alternator was overcharging, could this be the same thing??

how much should i expect from it? 13-14 right? im used to buses chargine sometimes well over 15

could I also have a vacuum leak??
howie321,Aug 23 2007, 02:51 PM Wrote:ya, 15.2 I was getting lastnight, i have a tiburon it blew every little bulb in the thing, my alternator was overcharging, could this be the same thing??

how much should i expect from it? 13-14 right? im used to buses chargine sometimes well over 15

could I also have a vacuum leak??
[right][snapback]247444[/snapback][/right]

Don't alternators have a little clutch like device, similar to that used on an A/C? If so, maybe the alternator is stuck on.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
did you try swapping out the battery? maybe the battery itself cant hold the charge
alright, figured it out, i put the meter on the battery in park, wiggled the 3 wires on the alternator, it ran rough, seems that when i swapped the motor, i didnt press in the plug far enough :angry: in a hurry i guess, so it must have threw the comp off. as well when i did it the meter went from 12v to almost 16! pressed it in all the way until it clicked! ran great...
I am having the exact same problem with mine I have had the problem for about 2 months biggest pain to drive in town. I will try that with the altenater hopefully thats it. If someone else could think of what it could be let me know.
howie321,Aug 23 2007, 09:02 PM Wrote:alright, figured it out, i put the meter on the battery in park, wiggled the 3 wires on the alternator, it ran rough, seems that when i swapped the motor, i didnt press in the plug far enough  :angry: in a hurry i guess, so it must have threw the comp off. as well when i did it the meter went from 12v to almost 16! pressed it in all the way until it clicked! ran great...
[right][snapback]247455[/snapback][/right]
NICE.. glad that's all it was
I totally lost track of this thread... good stuff!
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.