Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok Raise Your Hand If You Got Laid Off Today
SO here is the question. By going with my current wage of $20/hour. How affordable would it be to move up on my own to London, Toronto, up that way if I had to for work. I no very little about mortgages, and s*** like that. I know I have a fairly new car to pay for as well. So that takes a bit out of the whole house funds. Yes I do have quite a bit saved for a down payment, but even still trying to figure out eveythign is a pain in the ass.

Frustrated am I, I'm going to kill some s***, here I come Counter Strike
laidman,Feb 27 2006, 11:49 AM Wrote:$20/hour.  How affordable would it be to move up on my own to London, Toronto, up that way if I had to for work.[right][snapback]172386[/snapback][/right]
Your gross income is really not the number you need to look at -- assuming a 2,000 hour work year $20/hr is just $40,000 (no offense) so after taxes and other deductions how much of that $40,000 to you get to keep (the net) and how much of your net income is already spent on your other commitments.

And the key to being able to afford a mortgage is really in the down payment. What you don't want to do is make yourself "house poor" -- more often than not the outcome of that is a "motivated" seller.

If you haven't already, it is probably a good time to start developing some budgeting skills.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
You can't afford to live in TO on that kind of money. Period.

The only people who can, are ones who "bought in" to the market 10-20 years ago. They can play with their monopoly money, selling one house for an inflated price, and buying another even more inflated.

You'd be ill-advised to buy into that market at it's peak.

That's why I'm going to have to go to Barrie, to avoid that problem.

You're only "rich" if you sell your house and have your cash "in-hand". But cash won't keep you dry or warm. So you need to buy a new house, at the same inflated prices.

The really smart people, are selling their homes that they bought in TO 10-20 years ago, taking the cash, and moving somewhere cheaper, buying a nice luxury home, cash, and working a nice easy job to pay the hydro bills.
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 27 2006, 09:40 AM Wrote:I give you serious credit for working without the skirt of a union in front of you.[right][snapback]172369[/snapback][/right]
Yes, it's much better to be working for a place that can lay you off for no reason, have no rights, where nepotism and favoritism rules. :rolleyes:

I guess you feel comfortable with the boss's dick planted in your cheeks.

What a moron.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
I'M a moron? I have a good paycheque with excellent benefits and salary, a great pension package, and a 4 minute drive to the office.

I can pretty much take vacation days as I please (asked the boss for one Friday, got the OK), hardly work overtime but still get paid for it when I do... and I'm salaried! Oh yeah, profit sharing too.

Yup, real bad conditions there. I interviewed for my position, got the job on my skills and education plus the obvious other stuff... and was hired 3 months before I graduated.

And ANYONE working for a union needs to seriously lay off the nepotism attacks. Canada Post alone, nevermind anywhere else... PURE NEPOTISM. Noone gets in without knowing ANYONE. In fact, out of my many relatives in various unions, the only one that got anywhere without having a relative on-board was my teacher cousin... and she still got the in because of friends who were already there!

Unions - when you just can't cut the umbilical. And as for the "dick in cheeks" crack, a lot of union numbskulls make that comment when they don't have the individual skills and brainpower to carry themselves forward.

A lot of smart people are, sadly, held back by unions. Too many dumb ones are kept on and cost the rest. Unions are job security for those who can't strike it out on their own.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 27 2006, 04:02 PM Wrote:I'M a moron? I have a good paycheque with excellent benefits and salary, a great pension package, and a 4 minute drive to the office.

I can pretty much take vacation days as I please (asked the boss for one Friday, got the OK), hardly work overtime but still get paid for it when I do... and I'm salaried! Oh yeah, profit sharing too.

Yup, real bad conditions there. I interviewed for my position, got the job on my skills and education plus the obvious other stuff... and was hired 3 months before I graduated.

And ANYONE working for a union needs to seriously lay off the nepotism attacks. Canada Post alone, nevermind anywhere else... PURE NEPOTISM. Noone gets in without knowing ANYONE. In fact, out of my many relatives in various unions, the only one that got anywhere without having a relative on-board was my teacher cousin... and she still got the in because of friends who were already there!

Unions - when you just can't cut the umbilical.
[right][snapback]172441[/snapback][/right]

Who the frig cares.

7 paid weeks off a year plus benefits and APlan. Last year was slow at $110G, had nearly every weekend off (ie no O/T for 6 months), historically it's $140-$160G. Not including the $20G I make on side contracting. I can take my trade anywhere in Canada, I'll never be out of work.

Yeah, life's rough. If you're any indication of your family's inbreeding, I can understand their need for nepotism.
OAC_Sparky,Feb 27 2006, 04:09 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 27 2006, 04:02 PM Wrote:I'M a moron? I have a good paycheque with excellent benefits and salary, a great pension package, and a 4 minute drive to the office.

Who the frig cares.

7 paid weeks off a year plus benefits and APlan. Last year was slow at $110G, had nearly every weekend off (ie no O/T for 6 months), historically it's $140-$160G. Not including the $20G I make on side contracting. I can take my trade anywhere in Canada, I'll never be out of work.

Yeah, life's rough. If you're any indication of your family's inbreeding, I can understand their need for nepotism.
[right][snapback]172443[/snapback][/right]

OWN3d!!!!!

Someone... Pleaaassee get me a job at the ford plant :D
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
Inbreeding. Right. Sure :rolleyes:

So you get overpaid, you pay more for everything, and you gain a superiority complex as a bonus gift.

This is exactly what I mean about unions. They're infectious in their alteration of people... they go from rational to frothing "solidarity"-spewing morons.

it's s*** like this that ends up costing taxpayers more money beacuse civil servants feel "underpaid" at 70Gs+ / year, and then the private sector barks and whines and wants more again.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.

Quote:Who the frig cares.

I can GUARANTEE my cock is bigger than both of yours put together.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
You work for the biggest monopoly of them all. Bell should change their name to Little China to better reflect their corporate mentality and treatment of CUSTOMERS. You have no say.

Anyway, I'll raise my hand. Laid off for the next three weeks. And no bulls*** olympics on TV, so it's not too bad B)
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
Flofocus,Feb 27 2006, 04:21 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]172448[/snapback][/right]

:lol:
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 27 2006, 04:20 PM Wrote:Inbreeding. Right. Sure :rolleyes:

So you get overpaid, you pay more for everything, and you gain a superiority complex as a bonus gift.

This is exactly what I mean about unions. They're infectious in their alteration of people... they go from rational to frothing "solidarity"-spewing morons.

it's s*** like this that ends up costing taxpayers more money beacuse civil servants feel "underpaid" at 70Gs+ / year, and then the private sector barks and whines and wants more again.
[right][snapback]172447[/snapback][/right]
I have a technical job, personally I'm a licensed machinist AND a licensed electrician and specialize in robotics and welding equipment. When the plant is working full speed ahead, a minute of downtime costs the company $15G in lost profit. I'm the first on the scene, and usually responsible for analyzing the problem and calling for the appropriate trades.

My "foreman" puts in my time and gophers my parts.

Really, you have no idea what my worth is at my plant, because you don't know my job. You only assume.

I really didn't want to get into this pissing match; the problem is, you have a chip on your shoulder about unions, Fine. Deal with it or get over it. It had nothing to do with Laidman's issue, none of us brought up about how a union would have at least gave him some representation. Instead you use it as an opportunity to knock others with no provocation.

Totally unneeded.
CanadaSVT,Feb 27 2006, 04:31 PM Wrote:Anyway, I'll raise my hand.  Laid off for the next three weeks.  And no bulls*** olympics on TV, so it's not too bad B)
[right][snapback]172450[/snapback][/right]
Yeah, must be nice. We're building the robot training center in the old truck plant. They're building it in the old executive garage.

Guess who got the "Plant Manager Only" parking sign? :lol:
Great another pissing match...lets keep it civil....
OAC_Sparky,Feb 27 2006, 04:41 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 27 2006, 04:20 PM Wrote:Inbreeding. Right. Sure :rolleyes:

[right][snapback]172447[/snapback][/right]
I have a technical job, personally I'm a licensed machinist AND a licensed electrician and specialize in robotics and welding equipment. When the plant is working full speed ahead, a minute of downtime costs the company $15G in lost profit. I'm the first on the scene, and usually responsible for analyzing the problem and calling for the appropriate trades.

My "foreman" puts in my time and gophers my parts.

Really, you have no idea what my worth is at my plant, because you don't know my job. You only assume.

I really didn't want to get into this pissing match; the problem is, you have a chip on your shoulder about unions, Fine. Deal with it or get over it. It had nothing to do with Laidman's issue, none of us brought up about how a union would have at least gave him some representation. Instead you use it as an opportunity to knock others with no provocation.

Totally unneeded.
[right][snapback]172453[/snapback][/right]

Adam, take this as it is. The 2 points highlighted above are exactly why you are fast becoming on everyone's ignore list.
I am not arguing about your little bulls*** remarks anymore because you have the common sense of a peanut in that brain of yours.
When you think you can take on all of us that work for Ford with anti union rheteric you are really stupid and sadly mistaken.
Just STFU and keep these thoughts to yourself.

You weren't on my ignore list as I felt maybe you just had a bad day and I chaulked it up. But this ends it.

Your now placed on the ignorant list
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
Flofocus,Feb 27 2006, 04:21 PM Wrote:

:postpics:
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
meford4u,Feb 27 2006, 08:17 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Feb 27 2006, 04:21 PM Wrote:I can GUARANTEE my cock is bigger than both of yours put together.
:postpics:
[right][snapback]172502[/snapback][/right]
Lol, I thought the same thing. But didn't want the risk of pics being posted and him being right.

:lol: