Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Race Header
I am waiting to receive my FC 4-2-1 race head this week. I am also getting the FS flex-pipe. my question is what are the legal implications of running the car wiht out a Cat for a short period of time? 1-2 weeks.

i wasnt planning on installing it right away, but my local club is having a preseason dyno day on sat and i was hoping to run the car wiht the new header. but im not gonnna have enough money to get a universal cat.

so how would i get caught wihtout a cat and what would happen if i did?
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
ZX5focused,Jan 16 2006, 04:23 PM Wrote:I am waiting to receive my FC 4-2-1 race head this week.  I am also getting the FS flex-pipe.  my question is what are the legal implications of running the car wiht out a Cat for a short period of time? 1-2 weeks. 

i wasnt planning on installing it right away, but my local club is having a preseason dyno day on sat and i was hoping to run the car wiht the new header. but im not gonnna have enough money to get a universal cat.

so how would i get caught wihtout a cat and what would happen if i did?
[right][snapback]165404[/snapback][/right]
A fine, and possibly an inspection.
White 2001 ZX3
17" FRPP White Rally Wheels, KW Cup Kit (1.6"Wink, Progress 22mm Rear Sway, Short Ram Intake w/K&N Cone, Steeda 65mm TB, Ported 2k Manifold, FRPP 9mm Wires, MAC UDP, Clear Markers, OBX 4-1 Shorty Header, OBX ORP, FS Flex, 2nd Gen. MBRP Exhaust, FS/SCT Multi Chip

My Focus
My Photography
Typically you'll get pulled over for an inspection for 1 of three reasons.

1. Police profiling, ie your car has a "modified" look and they pull you over and give you a say take you to an inspection station.

2. Your car is insanely loud, so you attract their attention and they again take you to an inspection station or choose to inspect it themselves and give a ticket.

3. Standard safety road checks where they are just blitz hitting everybody for vehicle inspections (rare).

I'd say you really just need to be concerned with noise. I drove for a few weeks with race header and no cat and didn't get any trouble. Its all about how you drive, when you drive and where you drive.....

If you drive late at night at WOT your probably going to attract bad attention and get nabbed. If your loud without a cat. and are easy on the throttle you should be fine.....

BTW it IS going to be LOUD!
thanks kev
thats what i was looking for and what i figured would happen

and i know its gonna be loud, ill maybe look into another resonator
plus the cat will act like a resonator when i put it on.

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Mine was insane LOUD and RICEY until I put the catalytic in after the flex and everything calmed down.

So don't get scared if it sounds like crap, once you put the catalytic in it will sound good again.

hardk0re,Jan 16 2006, 04:56 PM Wrote:Mine was insane LOUD and RICEY until I put the catalytic in after the flex and everything calmed down.

So don't get scared if it sounds like crap, once you put the catalytic in it will sound good again.
[right][snapback]165408[/snapback][/right]

I'll be doing something similar soon.... OBX 4-1 shorty, race pipe, FC flex, 2nd gen MBRP. I'm counting on it being loud.
White 2001 ZX3
17" FRPP White Rally Wheels, KW Cup Kit (1.6"Wink, Progress 22mm Rear Sway, Short Ram Intake w/K&N Cone, Steeda 65mm TB, Ported 2k Manifold, FRPP 9mm Wires, MAC UDP, Clear Markers, OBX 4-1 Shorty Header, OBX ORP, FS Flex, 2nd Gen. MBRP Exhaust, FS/SCT Multi Chip

My Focus
My Photography
or you could move to alberta.....where having a Cat isn't required. but i'm confused though...you dont' need a cat..and you can drive around with a giant crack in your windshield..but you can't have your drivers or passengers windows tinted????? Fawking retarded province i tell ya.

"The weak shall inherit...........NOTHING"
Mods so far:
- 2 Inch Drop, Focus Sport Cold Air Intake, Street Glow 4 light strobe system,MBRP Cat back exhaust, 35% tint on front windows, 5% all around the rear. 1 Million Color Flowlighting Underglow kit, Inside and out. SPEEDHUT custom indiglo Guages, Sirius Satellite Radio, Pioneer DH6800 Deck, 15" Solo-Baric L7 Sub,Enkei 17 inch rims, Belltronic Radar Detector
do you have any pics of the cat mounted after the flex man. im doin the same thing soon too. i was looking into sprial cats to see if i could squeeze it in right after the header too. pics would help greatly. lates.
Turbo Kit For sale. Bills SUCK.
yeah pics would be great as I have to do this too. Also everyone that's done this and gone for an emissions test how did you fair??
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
nass,Jan 17 2006, 01:57 AM Wrote:yeah pics would be great as I have to do this too. Also everyone that's done this and gone for an emissions test how did you fair??
[right][snapback]165432[/snapback][/right]

I have mine like that, but can't post anypics bc its cold and i dont want to jack to car :)

as for the test, i passed but it was a close call. make sure the car is warm and also you use a high octane gas.
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

I guess since this topic is already sort of about this.

Heres pics:
[Image: cat1.jpg]
[Image: cat2.jpg]

thats where mines goign too, cut insert and hten cut excess off the other end

so did u relocate the second O2 to after the cat or just use the cheater? thats really my only concern. that and i hope there isnt a resinator in the way of the cat mount.
I just use a cheater, the pipe was just cut and the resonator put in and welded to the flange thats it. Everything was pretty easy.

Hope it passes etest for me, I don't want to have to put in the stock cat, header, etc....
ok so heres what im seeing with every resinated catback. the flex attaches to the cat back and the res is liek 6" from that flange. do u cut out the res, move it back then weld in the cat and res after that?

BTW u gonna be abel to fix that bumper for Chromey?
I have the SVT header kit on my ZX3 with a high flow RT cat bolted between the header and flex:

[Image: M9430ZX3L_a.jpg]

[Image: RTcat.jpg]

The kit came with O2 extention wires to connect to the SVT located cat (connected on the other side in the picture.)
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  fswerks race header , Street legal? adamzx5 9 4,169 07-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Last Post: adamzx5
  Before You Buy A Race Header, Watch! ZX3TUNR 19 6,564 06-25-2005, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Kool_ZX3
  Focussport Race Header Zoom 18 5,855 05-24-2005, 11:40 PM
Last Post: Jays2000ZX3
  Race Header / Flex Progress ZX3TUNR 1 1,411 12-14-2004, 07:55 AM