Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
T-stat / t-stat housing
OK, so the small coolant leak that only seems to appear under decent / heavy load or higher RPMs is definitely coming from the t-stat / housing. Near the bottom or at the bottom-front hose fitting. Hard to tell at that angle.

What's the average cost for one of each? Isn't it easier to do them both at the same time?

Otherwise, aside from rotors I'm good apparently (that we can see so far).
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I think 180 for both parts, that was for my wagon though, which seemed to always cost more then regular foci. If there was a more expensive part, that was the one the car needed.
Kinda odd. I got pricing from Maslack here in North Bay (Auto Value) and pricing for the t-stat, O-ring, and housing is bout 25 bucks for 11/1999-pre focus, bout 70 bucks for a 12/1999-after focus.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
price difference is because oem vs oe spec.
t stat cracking is common issue. mine happened at 70kmile.
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
[Image: banner_468x60_zps1c433cb9.gif]
info@motormaniac.ca | 905.508.3737
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
yeah when i did mine it wasnt that much either. Maybe around 70 for housing and stat. I think you need to take yours out and see how many parts are needed. I only changed what was required on one of the cars and both pieces on the other car. I've done it like 3-4 times already with the focus Smile

or...... just go to junk yard and look for a contour one, they were metal and lasted lot longer then the cheap plastic that was used in Focus.
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

Oscar's working with Maslack to figure it out.

So, I'll double-check with the haynes manual tonight, but it flows in one side, out the other and the third hose flows back to the overflow bottle. There's no direct coolant circulation to the block - right?

Added a pic.

Attached Files
.jpg   t-stat housing.jpg (Size: 382.18 KB / Downloads: 8)

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Nope goes into the head aswell. That is where the t-stat goes.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Hmmm moar investigation needed. The Haynes manual appears to disagree with that, and the the fact there are 3 bolts for the t-stat at the front of the housing agrees with the manual.

Hrm. A mystery, this is. Understand, soon we will. Trust in the force you must. </yoda>

Sweet, just talked with Oscar. Apparently I'm a retard. My bad. But, I can admit it. Smile

I'll get the parts at lunch today.

OK, so it's being worked on right but Ford in their infinite F'ing wisdom has changed the design of the block-side housing to exclude the brass threaded inserts for the thermostat-mounting bolts. So, your earlier mounting bolts are now useless. Noone tells you this.

So, now I'm waiting for Monday for the new bolts to come in so that we can seal up the cooling system and get it on the road. And yes, the block-side housing was leaking, right down the block at the bottom of the housing itself.