Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need More Stopping Power.
if you can lock up your wheels or engage ABS in the dry with your current brake setup, you will not get more 'stopping power' no matter what you purchase unless you get tires with more traction

on my '00 focus i felt that the hawk hps was more like OE replacement brake pad. it dusted a lot less, initial bite felt the same. i never experienced brake pad fade with either stock or hawk HPS, but i suspect that if you were able to overheat the stockers you would have started to overheat the hawks also because i don't believe the temperature range of the hawks is significantly higher than stock.

the stock pads in the focus (unless they changed them a lot since '00) are pretty good. i have seen/heard of lots of people who make close to stock power levels who track with stock brakes and have no problems

what exactly are you doing out of curiosity that you are getting brake pad fade? where were you driving, and what tires were you using? it is possible that a 'street' pad won't work for your driving style or for that course
naz,Sep 17 2007, 05:53 PM Wrote:if you can lock up your wheels or engage ABS in the dry with your current brake setup, you will not get more 'stopping power' no matter what you purchase unless you get tires with more traction

on my '00 focus i felt that the hawk hps was more like OE replacement brake pad. it dusted a lot less, initial bite felt the same. i never experienced brake pad fade with either stock or hawk HPS, but i suspect that if you were able to overheat the stockers you would have started to overheat the hawks also because i don't believe the temperature range of the hawks is significantly higher than stock.

the stock pads in the focus (unless they changed them a lot since '00) are pretty good.  i have seen/heard of lots of people who make close to stock power levels who track with stock brakes and have no problems

what exactly are you doing out of curiosity that you are getting brake pad fade? where were you driving, and what tires were you using?  it is possible that a 'street' pad won't work for your driving style or for that course
[right][snapback]248945[/snapback][/right]

Well I haven't locked up the tires yet in the dry, tires are the stock p6. As far as brake fade, its on a winding road on the way home ( I try to keep up with my friends 02 WRX, so neadless to say I'm on the brakes alot.
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
Ahh, got it ... it was the "don't change them" line that threw me.

D-Dub,Sep 17 2007, 05: Wrote:I think he meant should he get a different brand...........and I said the stock ones should be fine.
[right][snapback]248942[/snapback][/right]
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Canadian ST,Sep 17 2007, 10:12 PM Wrote:Well I haven't locked up the tires yet in the dry, tires are the stock p6. As far as brake fade, its on a winding road on the way home ( I try to keep up with my friends 02 WRX, so neadless to say I'm on the brakes alot.
[right][snapback]248947[/snapback][/right]

if your brake pads aren't worn down yet, don't change them right away and drive some more. stock brakes can lock up stock tires easily, so you have enough braking power. also, if this is the first time you have driven that hard, it could be 'green fade' that brake pads get the first time they go through a heat cycle

i had hawk hps and brembo blanks on my 00 focus (the supposed 'best' street setup) and honestly i did not feel that there was any performance improvement over stock other than less dusting

naz,Sep 17 2007, 11:39 PM Wrote:i had hawk hps and brembo blanks on my 00 focus (the supposed 'best' street setup) and honestly i did not feel that there was any performance improvement over stock other than less dusting
[right][snapback]248959[/snapback][/right]

I have to agree with naz.

Virtually no brake dust. I would have a difficult time figuring out which wheels were the fronts in the spring after storing them in the winter if it weren't for the tags I placed in the storage bags.

As far as performance, I did not really notice any improvement but then I tend to be easy on brakes (over 70,000km on first set of stockers.) In fact, I did actually notice that the first brake application in wet conditions was worse than stock! :o
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
Stock P6 four seasons aren't exactly the greatest. You'll get better brake performance, (better stopping grip/power), better traction at launch, more lateral grip, etc etc with different tires. I'd stay away from Michelin ( I preffer to call them MichelSPIN) or Goodyear (GoodSLIDE) etc. You'd get a big difference in say, some H or V-Rated Bridgestones or Fuzion's. Something like the Bridgestone Potenza RE G009's are very good tires, as are the Fuzion VRi's.

I think I'd change your tires BEFORE you change your brakes...Tires offer the biggest return/gains in performance for money invested, out of any mods you could do (besides the s***-eating grins induced by forced induction...lol)...

Once you've replaced the tires (or both rims and tires), then get Hawk HPS pads and Brembo Blanks. OR, if they will work, you can now purchase the complete suspension or brake packages for the Focus RS to swap onto North American Foci...direct from Ford...

Hope this helps...
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
Drivesthebeast,Sep 18 2007, 09:09 PM Wrote:Stock P6 four seasons aren't exactly the greatest.  You'll get better brake performance, (better stopping grip/power), better traction at launch, more lateral grip, etc etc with different tires.  I'd stay away from Michelin ( I preffer to call them MichelSPIN) or Goodyear (GoodSLIDE) etc.  You'd get a big difference in say, some H or V-Rated Bridgestones or Fuzion's.  Something like the Bridgestone Potenza RE G009's are very good tires, as are the Fuzion VRi's.

I think I'd change your tires BEFORE you change your brakes...Tires offer the biggest returnin performance for money invested, out of any mods you could do (besides the s***-eating grins induced by forced induction...lol)...

Once you've replaced the tires (or both rims and tires), then get Hawk HPS pads and Brembo Blanks.  OR, if they will work, you can now purchase the complete suspension or brake packages for the Focus RS to swap onto North American Foci...direct from Ford...

Hope this helps...
[right][snapback]249041[/snapback][/right]

Yah I was thinking about doing tires next year, I do a lot of driving so I need a harder compound like the PZero m&s ( I love the P6 so the P Zero can only be better) Or the Kuhmo Ecssta asx.
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]