Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm Really Curious About This
For once, I'm reserving my opinion for a bit to see what you all think:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...tory/Front/home

Discuss.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Its a stated rule in the league, tough s*** for the girl. I think the saying "You gotta fit in, to get in" applies.

As much as i disagree with some of the things that go on in quebec, ie: separation, i think alot of the time when it comes to things like this they seem to have the right attitude.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

Rules are rules. They aren't suggestions. Follow the rules, or don't play. Thats the way it works, last I knew.

If you don't like it, keep your ass in Ontario where its allowed.
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
Rules are rules. Period.
Rules are rules.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Sorry, in a democracy the majority rule.
02ztsian,Mar 4 2007, 10:49 AM Wrote:Sorry, in a democracy the majority rule.
[right][snapback]228892[/snapback][/right]

Yeah but the charter of rights throws democracy out the window.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
I AGREE when seeking equality as a minority you can't just take the good,, and leave the bad that's not "equality" that's preferential treatment... yes If I were required to where a sacred peice of clothing and taking it off ment defacing my religeon I would be hard pressed to do so even if it ment giving up somthing I love like soccer... it's a crappy situation but favortisum only fuels resentment
[Image: forumsig.jpg]

I could List my mods.. my times and even my future mods here.. but there the same as yours.. with a little less conversation and a lot more action!
I feel for the girl who's stuck in the middle of a discussion that's going to place more negative focus on religous and cultural differences than on the actual reason behind her exclusion.

especially when understanding has to come from both sides.

I think it needs to be made clear what clothing constitutes a safety hazard. I'm all for respecting other cultures and religions, but there is a line where equality does give way to preferential treatment.

Perhaps, she would rather focus on playing in a muslim community league where the rules are more suited to their culture... I don't think changing international rules that serve a specific purpose sends the right message in this case.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

My opinion is thus, take it as you will:

1 - she CHOSE to play a sport. Her religion doesn't force her to participate, ergo you submit yourself to the rules and regulations of the sport you're participating in. If you join a sport fishing club that requires the trading of naked pictures of wives and you object... leave!

2 - her religion does not require that she wear the covering as a devout member, forsaking her religion and causing much embarrassment to one's self and family if she doesn't.

When we played hockey, NO jewelry was allowed to be seen on your face/neck. PERIOD. Necklaces, earrings, eyebrow rings (early adopters is all I'm saying)... it all had to go. We accepted that as the rule, laid down by Hockey Canada and we played every game under those rules. Sure, we didn't contemplate each and every rule before a game... but at the end of the day, the rules mattered (obviously).

I really hope that the girl wasn't put up to this by her parents. I also hope that this doesn't spark the "you're not sympathizing, therefore you're a racist" sentiment anywhere. If the religion you follow doesn't have any wearable items requirements and you're able to play the sport just fine, that doesn't make you a racist for wanting the other players to have to follow the same rules.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Mar 4 2007, 01:10 AM Wrote:http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...tory/Front/homeDiscuss.
[right][snapback]228873[/snapback][/right]
While I agree with the general sentiment that rules are rules and they should be respected, a little research has revealed what I believe to be a fundamental flaw in the QSF’s position … they are not in fact following FIFA’s rules as they claim, but are in fact promoting their own interpretation of them.

For example … according to Brigitte Frot, executive director of the Quebec Soccer Federation, FIFA rules don't allow for any jewellery or headgear. But on FIFA's website, laws governing player's equipment state that "equipment such as headgear, facemasks, knee and arm protectors made of soft, lightweight, padded material are not considered to be dangerous and are therefore permitted." There are even pictures of soccer players wearing bandanas, glasses and headbands in action.

Additionally I would also say that even if the QSF maintains that they have their own rule against headgear despite FIFA’s stance, I would say that this girl and her family have every right to challenge the rule considering the majority experience around the world had demonstrated that a hijab poses no threat to the wearer or to other players.

Although I don’t doubt the sincerity of the Quebec officials, the bottom line for me is that a rule that has the effect of denying someone participation on the basis of a religious symbol, where there is no demonstrated danger associated with that symbol, is nothing less than discriminatory.

While I understand why the Quebec officials stand by their specific and minority interpretation of the rule, it would be far more valuable to the discussion for them to demonstrate or prove the danger associated with wearing a hijab … and with the millions of muslim girls playing the game wearing a hijab, if it was dangerous surely there would be some evidence of it.

If it’s dangerous to wear it , then I fully support the QSF’s position … but if it isn’t dangerous than it’s discriminatory – I think the QSF needs to demonstrate the danger or change their position.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
It's actually refreshing to see someone being descriminated against instead of the typical white Canadian male :lol:
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
like ztw already mentioned, this was a rule that only applies on quebec feilds. They do not have this rule in Ontario.

Whats great is that it was a muslim referee that called it.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]