Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saturn Ion To Be Replaced By Opel Astra In 2007
Saturn Ion to be Replaced by Opel Astra in 2007

Saturn pulls the plug on its homely compact and finds a stylish replacement in the Opel Astra
BY RAY HUTTON
May 2006

Saturn is becoming the American name for GM’s German subsidiary, Opel. The 2007 Saturn Sky Red Line convertible is virtually identical to the Opel GT; the 2007 Saturn Aura mid-size sedan is directly related to the Opel Vectra; and at the end of 2007, the Saturn Ion compact reportedly will be replaced with a barely changed Opel Astra. According to Automotive News, the new Astra-based Saturn will not only be designed in Europe but also will be exported from there. The Ion ceases production in Spring Hill, Tennessee, at the end of this year. GM officials won’t confirm that the Astra is the Ion’s replacement or tell us what it will be called. Whatever the name, the scribes at Automotive News expect it to be priced from about $16,000 — some $3500 more than the Ion.

We have been driving the Opel Astra in Europe to give you an idea of what’s in store for Saturn and how it compares with the small-car competition.

The Opel Astra took a big step forward when it appeared in Europe two years ago. Its predecessor had been a dowdy thing, outclassed by the original Ford Focus in the most competitive sector of the European car market. The styling of the fifth-generation Astra is more exciting and more sporting, and the design and quality of its interior is a quantum leap from the previous car’s. Martin Smith, then design chief at Opel — now with Ford — can take credit for that. He made his name with Audi interiors, arguably regarded as the best in the business.

The Astra entered the European arena as one of the best, if not the best, of the bunch. Bigger and more spacious than its predecessor at 167 inches — it is 5.5 inches longer — it is also nicer to drive. GM’s European engineers have learned from Ford’s success with the nimble Focus that drivers appreciate cars that steer precisely and handle confidently. Ford has also moved on in Europe with a bigger and better Focus (not sold in the U.S., where the old model continues), but the Astra beats it on style and presentation.

Page 2 & 3 and photos here
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Is it still gonna be plastic?
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
not a huge fan of the looks but seems like a good step forward.

anyone else find it amusing they had a saturn ion ad banner at the top of an article talking about it's demise and replacement?
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
nass,May 9 2006, 10:45 AM Wrote:anyone else find it amusing they had a saturn ion ad banner at the top of an article talking about it's demise and replacement?
[right][snapback]186229[/snapback][/right]
Yes, but it's no coincidence.

What I find sad is reading an article about GM and Saturns and Opels ... and one of the story lines is how Ford fawked us by not giving us the Focus Mk II.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
The idea of the panels being made of polymar (sp?) is a GREAT idea. Light weight, easy to replace, durable etc....

The only problem with Saturns is that they squeek rattle and creak as you go down the street. I test drove a 5 year old Saturn a few years back and I couldn't believe the noises this thing was making.

If they could curb the noises, I'd consider buying one. The staff were VERY helpful and friendly (unlike my exerience with both VW & Honda)
That has to do with a cost to retool the line right? saves money keeping the car virtually the same.
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
i think the Opel looks hot, and i would actually consider going after one, depending on what a decently loaded one would price out to.

I think its hot, and a huge step for Saturn.
I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...
HMMM....
[Image: 582006213424.jpg]

[Image: 04mazda3_1.jpg]
2005 ZX4 SOLD! ST; 1992 Mustang 5.0L S/C

[Image: lakemitchellsml.jpg][Image: burnout1sml.jpg]
Mazda 3 lights on the Opel and get rid of the chrome strip on the Opel and we got a winnar
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
nass,May 9 2006, 01:30 PM Wrote:Mazda 3 lights on the Opel and get rid of the chrome strip on the Opel and we got a winnar
[right][snapback]186303[/snapback][/right]

More then likely Saturn will remove the crome and make it plastic with the saturn logo in the front like the current Ion style has.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
in other words ruin it. Yep
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
[Image: Opel_Astra_GTC_01.jpg]
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
Found a European commercial for the Opel Tigra Twintop it's close to the Astra, but a Cabrio version.

Opel Tigra Twintop
scoobasteve,May 9 2006, 08:44 AM Wrote:Is it still gonna be plastic?
[right][snapback]186228[/snapback][/right]

Saturn is no longer making polymer body panels. (I know I use to own a 99 sl) Due to the cost of doing so, they said it was cheaper to make metal ones instead. which sucks, because the Polymer body panels were the reason saturns were a big seller.
"The weak shall inherit...........NOTHING"
Mods so far:
- 2 Inch Drop, Focus Sport Cold Air Intake, Street Glow 4 light strobe system,MBRP Cat back exhaust, 35% tint on front windows, 5% all around the rear. 1 Million Color Flowlighting Underglow kit, Inside and out. SPEEDHUT custom indiglo Guages, Sirius Satellite Radio, Pioneer DH6800 Deck, 15" Solo-Baric L7 Sub,Enkei 17 inch rims, Belltronic Radar Detector
I think both GM and Ford should just make global cars in the first place. Give us the same cars as the UK, Germany, and Australia get, and life will be good. I was out and about London in some Vaxhauls (sorry if that's spelled wrong) and they kicked azz. Was also out in some Ford Mondeos there, as well as Dubai, and they also kicked azz. I'm sorry america, but the days of the uneducated car shopper and bland-azz-just-get-by car days are long gone. Step up to the game.
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
If only they could bring the Astra VXR! 250HP nice....

http://www.thecarfanatics.com/news/artic...ow=2004051
Alex

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Saturn Astra D-Dub 21 7,270 02-11-2008, 02:49 AM
Last Post: zx5power
  Gm To Produce Saturn-badged Opel Corsa? Frost__2001 3 1,389 01-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Last Post: naz
  2008 Saturn Astra Frost__2001 2 1,700 12-10-2006, 02:02 AM
Last Post: NOS2Go4Me
  Opel Corsa Coming As A Saturn, Gm's Lutz Says Frost__2001 0 974 10-04-2006, 12:26 AM
Last Post: Frost__2001