Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Partial-painted Side Mirrors
I took mine to the ford body shop, the sanded it down, preped it and re attached it all for me. He did my side mouldings and mirrors for 30 bucks.

Can't say you can beat that really. The materials alone would run you say close to 20 bucks, then 10 for labor?

He used actual Ford paint so it matches identically. You would think it came from the factory this way.
Run your car, not your mouth
ZOOM,Feb 2 2005, 04:34 PM Wrote:I took mine to the ford body shop, the sanded it down, preped it and re attached it all for me. He did my side mouldings and mirrors for 30 bucks.

Can't say you can beat that really. The materials alone would run you say close to 20 bucks, then 10 for labor?

He used actual Ford paint so it matches identically. You would think it came from the factory this way.
[right][snapback]82822[/snapback][/right]

Wow you certainly got a nice deal there Tony.

It looks pro too. B)
ZOOM,Feb 2 2005, 02:34 PM Wrote:I took mine to the ford body shop, the sanded it down, preped it and re attached it all for me. He did my side mouldings and mirrors for 30 bucks.
[right][snapback]82822[/snapback][/right]

I asked the Ford body shop how much they'd charge to paint the side moldings and he said since it would take so much time to sand down the texture, paint, and reattach, he said it would be around $300.. Then he told me I should just try and do it myself, that's my project for the spring.
I just spoke with ford(marigold ford) and they want $50 to sand and paint them.
01-yellow-ZX3,Feb 2 2005 Wrote:
Jaspher,Feb 2 2005, 11:43 AM Wrote:thanks for the pics...

I'll probably sand it down smooth then prime/ base paint/ clear then use hair dryer to bake the paint.  then buff it with the buffer.
[right][snapback]82760[/snapback][/right]

Just remember to give it like at least a week before you wax and/or buffer anything.
[right][snapback]82762[/snapback][/right]

yup.. thanks..
2006 Corolla - 1.8 DOHC 16V VVTi
2000 Focus SE Sport - 2.0 DOHC 16V Zetec - SOLD
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jaspher
http://ca.geocities.com/tdsports@rogers.com/home.htm
[Image: sig.jpg]
here is mine with my mirrors done, the dealership did my mirrors also,

[Image: Sig.jpg]

same shop as Guilty visited they also told me a couple hundred bux to do the mouldings :(
OFFICAL FC BABYSITTER
FociS8nt,Feb 3 2005, 01:47 AM Wrote:here is mine with my mirrors done, the dealership did my mirrors also,

what do u mean? U mean the dealership painted the mirror for u?
Wet sanding is your freind :)
Anyone painted the basic stock black mirrors?
"Focus On The Road!"
I Love My Liquid Grey 2007 Focus ZX3 SE

Next: tint, front & rear bumpers...
Penwraith,Feb 3 2005, 06:07 AM Wrote:Anyone painted the basic stock black mirrors?
[right][snapback]82991[/snapback][/right]

Thats what we are talking about man...
That's Cool!
I thought there was a premium style mirror
with a removeable back plate.yada
yada yada...thanks Zoom.
"Focus On The Road!"
I Love My Liquid Grey 2007 Focus ZX3 SE

Next: tint, front & rear bumpers...
When they paint the side molding do they take the molding off or paint it on the car? If they take it off do you have to break clips or something?
one broken clip, my side mouldings came off pretty easily, double sided tape and some clips hold it in, he accidentally broke the first clip, I guess there is a learning curve to it, he replaced the clip and the double sided tape after he painted the mouldings and they now look 100% stock.
After reading the first post I didn't even know they came off that easy else I would have done it a long time ago.

The key is to be gentle and not bend the clips too much, two little screw drivers works well, one to push on the tab(outwards) and the other to lift the tab slightly.

Penwraith,Feb 3 2005, 12:42 AM Wrote:I thought there was a premium style mirror
with a removeable back plate.yada
[right][snapback]82997[/snapback][/right]

The SVT mirrors and also the stock european mirrors come with the plate as a primered seperate piece. The difference is that these mirrors fold inwards, and also the black parts of the mirror are smooth and glossy, not the dull texture the stock mirrors have.
Just got mine back from marigold, don't know if it was the best idea. But meh, its done now...

[Image: paintedmirror.jpg]
Your garage looks warm....warmer than mine. haha
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
it doesn't look too bad, it almost blends in with the black though, i'm gonna be doing this in the summer, on a white focus, anyone know if a white sedan looks sexy with this done? :P B)
smith21,Feb 12 2005, 12:10 PM Wrote:anyone know if a white sedan looks sexy with this done?  :P  B)
[right][snapback]85548[/snapback][/right]

It looks really good on light colored cars since it stands out a lot.
This one is a nice write up for this mod.

http://www.focaljet.com/ubbthreads/showfla...&gonew=1#UNREAD
2006 Corolla - 1.8 DOHC 16V VVTi
2000 Focus SE Sport - 2.0 DOHC 16V Zetec - SOLD
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jaspher
http://ca.geocities.com/tdsports@rogers.com/home.htm
[Image: sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question Regarding Side Mirrors NefCanuck 7 2,165 03-17-2008, 07:10 AM
Last Post: Frost__2001
  Side Mirrors FociS8nt 6 2,067 06-28-2004, 07:27 PM
Last Post: meford4u