Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cutting Stock Shifter
Hey I put this in appearance mods because I know cutting it won't change the throw of the shifter. I bought a shift knob that has the same shape as the one below which makes the shifter a little taller. For those of you who cut your stock shifters down to make it a short shifter, how much did you cut off?

[Image: TK501BL.jpg]
i would use a hack saw and some whore s teeth
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
DD1,Feb 26 2005, 08:44 PM Wrote:i would use a hack saw and some whore s teeth
[right][snapback]89552[/snapback][/right]

And this has to do what with how much length I should cut off LOL?
I received a momo shift knob for a present, and mounted it to the stock shifter. It was like rowing a freaking boat! :o

It was wayyy to tall to be comfortable. I cut a bit over 2" off with a hacksaw with the help of a buddy holding the shifter base. I put a bag over the top of the shifter to catch the shavings. A dremel would do a nice job also, but the sparks on the dash and seats might be a no-no.
I cut 2.5"off, Looks and feels alot better.

Alot of after market shift knobs do not have thread, They have the 3 set screws. If you dont need to retap it dont, If you do, 1/4 20 dye will work great.
Chromey,Feb 27 2005, 10:31 AM Wrote:I cut 2.5"off, Looks and feels alot better.

Alot of after market shift knobs do not have thread, They have the 3 set screws. If you dont need to retap it dont, If you do, 1/4 20 dye will work great.
[right][snapback]89765[/snapback][/right]

No I have one with the set screws. Ummmm after you cut the 2.5" off was it any harder to shift? Do you have a picture by any chance?
Ill take a picture for ya... It seemed harder for the first few days, I guess i got use to it Cause i dont remember it now.

[Image: IMG_1111.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1112.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0017.jpg]
MAlby7,Feb 27 2005, 01:11 AM Wrote:
DD1,Feb 26 2005, 08:44 PM Wrote:i would use a hack saw and some whore s teeth
[right][snapback]89552[/snapback][/right]

And this has to do what with how much length I should cut off LOL?
[right][snapback]89580[/snapback][/right]

easy, let the whore mouth go down on the shifter, when she start gagging, thats where you have to cut...

Be prepared to cut the exaust if the whore is good cuz she wont gag.... :lol:
------------------------------------------------
-1991 Nissan Pulsar GTI-R
-2002 Red SVT focus # 2262 - sold
-2000 silver ZX3 - sold
If I were you Malby, I'd cut off 2", and set your new knob on, and see what you think. If you want to be cautious make it 1 3/4". And just go from there.
me and jarrod both got cut shifters. turned out super good.
For the price, why not go with a STS. Hacking the shifter shaft is pretty ghetto IMO...... it works but it's a little to close to the 'riceline' for me.
S2,Mar 1 2005, 10:36 AM Wrote:For the price, why not go with a STS.  Hacking the shifter shaft is pretty ghetto IMO...... it works but it's a little to close to the 'riceline' for me.
[right][snapback]90451[/snapback][/right]

Well lets put it this way. The $160 I save on a STS I can buy a new pair of Nike Shox that I wanted. When you make $70 a week like I do right now you need to save as much as possible.
S2,Mar 1 2005, 07:36 AM Wrote:For the price, why not go with a STS.  Hacking the shifter shaft is pretty ghetto IMO...... it works but it's a little to close to the 'riceline' for me.
[right][snapback]90451[/snapback][/right]

Chad if you look at both mine and Jarrods shift knobs they look pro. Even the cut looks pro. Very far from looking ghetto at all. No one would ever know.

I drove a focus with a actual short shifter and did I find a differene. Sure didnt.

Its just one of those useless mods where companys can make easy money. Its not going to make some one shift any faster. They are either a good shifter or a shitty shifter.

Even with an actual short shifter there still going to be slow if the driver sucks. No point. Best to use the $70 or $100 for a mod that actual gives you more power. In the mean time cut the shifter and keep practicing.

SR20DET (chris) is one of the fastest shifters I know in Regina. Even the hot rods guys are amazed how fast this kid shifts. He's running on a cut shifter to.
Oh yeah guys I ain't bashing you, I've seen the ones you guys did, awesome stuff. I was just making a point that I prefer to have the REAL thing and not just make it. That's all, no disrespect.
S2,Mar 1 2005, 08:33 PM Wrote:Oh yeah guys I ain't bashing you, I've seen the ones you guys did, awesome stuff.  I was just making a point that I prefer to have the REAL thing and not just make it.  That's all, no disrespect.
[right][snapback]90611[/snapback][/right]

None taken. Just can't afford stupid s**t now!
Mike you need super charger :D go big or go home :D lol :P

j/k

SUPER CHARGER. Sleep on it bro. ;)
ZX3TUNR,Mar 1 2005, 08:41 PM Wrote:Mike you need super charger :D go big or go home :D lol  :P

j/k

SUPER CHARGER. Sleep on it bro. ;)
[right][snapback]90617[/snapback][/right]

I guess home is my next destination!
super charger :D then your car will be done...
ZX3TUNR,Mar 1 2005, 08:06 PM Wrote:super charger :D then your car will be done...
[right][snapback]90636[/snapback][/right]

u turn into a spokemsan now jay?,
lol pushing s/c on everybody??
jk man anyone wiht boost gets my respcet! :P
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cutting Down The Shifter dabigmandan 11 3,097 06-02-2005, 10:24 AM
Last Post: dabigmandan