Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Painting My Rims
So i am planning on painting my rims black...and i am just wondering the "process", like to take them off the wheels or leave them on. How would i take the tires off the rim....so umm can i have some helping telling me what to do
It might be easier to paint the wheels if you took the tires off, but then you have the chance of scratching the paint off when you get the tires put back on the rims. Also, you need a machine to mount tires on rims, so you'll have to take them to a shop if you want to go that way.

When I painted my wheels, I left the tires on.. the tireshine that was soaked into the rubber really kept the overspray from sticking to the tire, it just rubbed right off. Disadvantage was that the tireshine stuff on the tires made it impossible to mask them off, but since the paint was a dark color, you couldnt really see the overspray on the black tire anyway.. that and it rubbed right off like I said.

I took all my wheels off, cleaned them very thoroughly with Simple Green automotive, then sanded them down light enough to get the shiny coating roughed up. Then primer, a few coats of Duplicolor Wheel Coating, and a couple coats of the Duplicolor wheel coating clear. And make sure you've let them set up really well before mounting them and driving on them, you dont want dirt getting stuck in the tacky wet paint.
guilty,Apr 11 2005, 06:45 PM Wrote:It might be easier to paint the wheels if you took the tires off, but then you have the chance of scratching the paint off when you get the tires put back on the rims.  Also, you need a machine to mount tires on rims, so you'll have to take them to a shop if you want to go that way.

When I painted my wheels, I left the tires on.. the tireshine that was soaked into the rubber really kept the overspray from sticking to the tire, it just rubbed right off.  Disadvantage was that the tireshine stuff on the tires made it impossible to mask them off, but since the paint was a dark color, you couldnt really see the overspray on the black tire anyway.. that and it rubbed right off like I said.

I took all my wheels off, cleaned them very thoroughly with Simple Green automotive, then sanded them down light enough to get the shiny coating roughed up.  Then primer, a few coats of Duplicolor Wheel Coating, and a couple coats of the Duplicolor wheel coating clear.  And make sure you've let them set up really well before mounting them and driving on them, you dont want dirt getting stuck in the tacky wet paint.
[right][snapback]100560[/snapback][/right]

^^ what he said, and just to add, you can use that green painters tape to mask off your tire. Just make sure you get the whole tire, the overspray on the Justys tires is bad :huh: , and it wont go away, but I didnt really care, this winter is the last for those tires.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
yeah leave the tires on.. i did mine like this.. and not even masking tape, i used electrical tape and newspaper.. :P

dont know where to get black paint though
ZX3T gone..
BerinG,Apr 12 2005, 09:16 AM Wrote:yeah leave the tires on.. i did mine like this.. and not even masking tape, i used electrical tape and newspaper.. :P

[right][snapback]100771[/snapback][/right]

EVERY single Canadian Tire I've been to carries all of the duplicolor wheel paint in every color, except their "Racing Flat Back". I ordred 4 cans for my wheels and they will not be arriving for another week and a half. :ph34r:
Flofocus,Apr 12 2005, 08:35 AM Wrote:
BerinG,Apr 12 2005, 09:16 AM Wrote:yeah leave the tires on.. i did mine like this.. and not even masking tape, i used electrical tape and newspaper.. :P

EVERY single Canadian Tire I've been to carries all of the duplicolor wheel paint in every color, except their "Racing Flat Back". I ordred 4 cans for my wheels and they will not be arriving for another week and a half. :ph34r:
[right][snapback]100781[/snapback][/right]

yeah exacly, it exists, its just not there :P

4 cans?! i used one for 3 coats per wheel and i still have some left.. for later use? i guess for the price..
ZX3T gone..
BerinG,Apr 12 2005, 09:50 AM Wrote:
Flofocus,Apr 12 2005, 08:35 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]100781[/snapback][/right]

yeah exacly, it exists, its just not there :P

4 cans?! i used one for 3 coats per wheel and i still have some left.. for later use? i guess for the price..
[right][snapback]100786[/snapback][/right]

Really, just 1 can? LOL, I put 7-8 coats of the stuff on my 17's, 3 coats of clearcoat. Used 4 cans for 4 wheels. Do you paint the whole wheel, or just the exterior?

Maybe it was the 15 spkoes that took more paint. :ph34r:
yeah 3 coats for each wheels and a few touch ups between when it settled.. 2-3 coats with the clear coat.. i barely let them dry too hehe, they dried on the road ;)

did a good job.. i guess if you are doing 7-8 coats, you might need 2.. its just i oversprayed it (not really) and it wasn't settling so thats why i just did quicker coats but 3 times..

with your 7-8 just do them quickly.. anyway, you've done that before :P

and i ONLY paint the exterior and between spokes.. like the whole middle to outside lip.. the inside is at an opposite angle so you can't see it really

but mine was a bit getho, like i didn't really care, i just wanted to get rid of the clearcoat that was peeling, and dirt was slipping under there.. and a few scratches on all wheels, curb rash..
ZX3T gone..
I've paint my wheels with duplicolor too... 3 coats inside and 4 outside... It took me 3 cans (2 and 3/4)... for the clears I've made only 1 inside and 3 outside (should have done more ;) ) .. for 2 cans......
Cardomain: Click Here!
MonChar.com ICI!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Painting Rims Ignited83 5 2,443 03-23-2010, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Ignited83
  Painting My Stock Rims KillaCamST 13 4,803 09-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Last Post: GFXjamie
  Painting My Rims..which Color? focusonthis88 27 9,054 01-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Kelowna_Focus
  Painting Rims ThraxXx 12 3,353 08-09-2005, 05:21 AM
Last Post: Flofocus