Poll:
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ontario Buys Disputed Caledonia Land
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

Now, I ask EVERYONE - Caucasian, Aboriginal, whatever... are we all Canadians and part of a world community, or does this divisiveness benefit anyone in the end?

They pass an injunction ordering the Aboriginals off the land and they flat-out ignore it, saying they respect no law but their own. That's great. I bet they wouldn't like it if such rules and interpretations were applied in the inverse - no sales to Aboriginals, no service to Aboriginals. Oh wait, we already had that towards expatriate Africans... it was called segregation and racism.

I, of all people, have come to realize that the political boundaries that exist around the globe by and large exist for one reason: ego. We're a world community now, we all interoperate globally on a daily basis. We do so at a personal, business and geopolitical (I hate the term, but it works) level. Countries that are free democracies by and large tend to have a majority of law-abiding citizens making up their populace. So, I have to ask: what gives?

In an angry, force-driven solution... Aboriginals could be made to "play by the rules". Treaties could be repealed and they would be forced to "share land" with the rest of Canada on a lot-by-lot basis... i.e. move into the communities that a lot have shunned. Repeal their tax-dodging capabilities. Repeal their fish and game exemptions. We all know this won't happen, but such a scenario would be decisive if not ugly and heavy-handed.

Realistically, we're facing yet more tension. More ugly words between "sides" when there ought not to be sides at all. I'm not saying dismantle entire countries... I'm merely saying that the entire populace of said country all need to play by the same rules. If you're collecting a CPP, if you're getting any type of medical care via OHIP, if you're collecting social assistance... you need to reciprocate in full.

This is Canada, be it good, bad or ugly. Everyone here who benfits from Canada should be either a Canadian or a contributing ex-patriate... it's as simple as that. If you enjoy the services, you pay the taxes... the same as everyone else. That's my opinion, you're free to agree or disagree as you see fit.

For a completely less-beaten path... look at the UK. For centuries there was a diverse culture of Woads, Celts, Scots, and British (I forget the earlier term... my bad). Over time, all of their cultures have been respected and maintained both by the government and the force of will of the people. Note that last part: force of will of the people. That means that on top of being (largely) productive citizens, they found the ability to preserve who they were without ignoring where they are now.

If an entire island nation (although technically, they're all islands) can still remain a tolerant, multi-cultural community while showing themselves to be quite progressive... I fail to see how such a stance can't work here in Canada. There are plenty of other examples, too. By and large, the North American treatment of Aboriginal people has been drastically over-accomodating. And it's starting to show to the rest of Canada; indeed, the world is taking notice.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.

Messages In This Thread
Ontario Buys Disputed Caledonia Land - NOS2Go4Me - 06-17-2006, 03:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ontario Buys Land At Centre Of Caledonia Dispute Frost__2001 1 913 06-17-2006, 05:01 AM
Last Post: NOS2Go4Me