Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm Really Curious About This
NOS2Go4Me,Mar 4 2007, 01:10 AM Wrote:http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...tory/Front/homeDiscuss.
[right][snapback]228873[/snapback][/right]
While I agree with the general sentiment that rules are rules and they should be respected, a little research has revealed what I believe to be a fundamental flaw in the QSF’s position … they are not in fact following FIFA’s rules as they claim, but are in fact promoting their own interpretation of them.

For example … according to Brigitte Frot, executive director of the Quebec Soccer Federation, FIFA rules don't allow for any jewellery or headgear. But on FIFA's website, laws governing player's equipment state that "equipment such as headgear, facemasks, knee and arm protectors made of soft, lightweight, padded material are not considered to be dangerous and are therefore permitted." There are even pictures of soccer players wearing bandanas, glasses and headbands in action.

Additionally I would also say that even if the QSF maintains that they have their own rule against headgear despite FIFA’s stance, I would say that this girl and her family have every right to challenge the rule considering the majority experience around the world had demonstrated that a hijab poses no threat to the wearer or to other players.

Although I don’t doubt the sincerity of the Quebec officials, the bottom line for me is that a rule that has the effect of denying someone participation on the basis of a religious symbol, where there is no demonstrated danger associated with that symbol, is nothing less than discriminatory.

While I understand why the Quebec officials stand by their specific and minority interpretation of the rule, it would be far more valuable to the discussion for them to demonstrate or prove the danger associated with wearing a hijab … and with the millions of muslim girls playing the game wearing a hijab, if it was dangerous surely there would be some evidence of it.

If it’s dangerous to wear it , then I fully support the QSF’s position … but if it isn’t dangerous than it’s discriminatory – I think the QSF needs to demonstrate the danger or change their position.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *

Messages In This Thread
I'm Really Curious About This - NOS2Go4Me - 03-04-2007, 03:10 PM
I'm Really Curious About This - habmann - 03-04-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm Really Curious About This - torradan - 03-04-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm Really Curious About This - hardk0re - 03-04-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm Really Curious About This - 02ztsian - 03-05-2007, 12:49 AM
I'm Really Curious About This - darkpuppet - 03-05-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm Really Curious About This - NOS2Go4Me - 03-05-2007, 01:13 PM