Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death Of Ford Essex Engine Plant
I see this issue every day with the older workforce at Ford. Luckily, and I am one of the lucky ones who got a job, when Ford expanded and hired about 1200(I think that number is right) in 1993-94, many of us had a college education, university educated or a trade where they were certified. Those co-workers I find are the easiest to work with as they see the merit in the job we do together and don't take for granted that Ford owes us anything. We owe alot to the company that puts bread and butter on our tables and gives us the standard of living over and above the call of duty. It's a boring monotonous job, believe me. But I will never become set in my ways where I believe the company owes me anything. I owe them for the standard of living they have made for my family and the comfort of my home.

On another contreversial note, we are hearing rumblings in the plant about Windsor. This is a long story and detailed, so I will try and carry the major points. Ford has been talking about cutting our shift(midnights) come Sept. 10th. This would place another 300 on layoff along with the 350 we have on layoff now. The issue with Windsor is that part of the deal with the union to close the plant was to allow early retirements or a choice to take a buyout package or take a job in Oakville. We have heard some 80 plus members have accepted in principle to come to Oakville. Problem is, no one in our facility can be on layoff before we bring in these members from Windsor. So this is a violation of the agreement Ford had with the union, and we hear(rumour) that the Windsor local is looking at suing Ford if this isn't rectified soon. The union is trying to force Ford's hand in bringing new product to the facility and soon. We hope they are succesful in bringing more jobs to the area and increasing our production.
Will we lose that shift? Doubtful. It would take 3 months minimum to get things straightened around with all the movements of jobs losing one shift and bumping junior people out of the department. When we launch the Flex in March, they need the 3rd shift to build inventory for the dealers for a minimum of 6 months. In the meantime, the Edge is selling well and getting better by the month in sales. It really would be a dumb idea to lose the shift and put things in turmoil again. But this is life anywhere you work. Be ready for the unexpected.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.

Messages In This Thread
Death Of Ford Essex Engine Plant - meford4u - 08-11-2007, 09:36 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ford Actually Reopens A Plant ZX3_2NV 5 2,872 03-04-2009, 01:39 AM
Last Post: CanadaSVT
  Ford To Close Ontario Plant Frost__2001 4 1,821 12-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Last Post: NefCanuck
  Ford Closes Windsor Casting Plant Frost__2001 1 1,774 05-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Last Post: Spinal
  Ford To Close F-150 Pickup Plant In 2007 Frost__2001 6 2,428 09-26-2006, 03:10 PM
Last Post: mikeb777