Poll: Snow Tires this winter?
Yes, I run snow tires every year.
No, Toronto weather dosen't justify the expense.
Maybe, still on the fence.
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is running with snows this winter?
(11-27-2010, 01:38 PM)SVT-WGN Wrote: If and when the SVT brakes get installed, and the 15" do not fit, then I will find 16" and use them. What I was trying to say in that earlier post, was use your existing rims or the smallest rims that will fit for winter. Save the sharp, gorgeous wheels for summer.

On the Taurus, I use my stock, original 16" with the X-Ice in winter and a set of 17" Volvo aluminum rims with HydroEdge for summer use. Steel wheels (at least around here) are over $60 per wheel. Used steel wheels average about $25. Used aluminum wheels are anywhere from $50 to $500 depending on the type and condition. The Volvo wheels were $75 each.

Used SVT wheels seem to go for between $50 to $100 each. Considering that a steel wheel has absolutely no cachet, the premium for the SVT wheel makes good economic sense. Add in the cost of mounting tires twice a year, and the reason becomes even stronger.

Yup - we here ya (and you're talking mostly to the converted here) ... but unfortunately for me I have a rim fetish that does not include steelies.

I have four sets of rims for my Focus (and a couple of odd-ball Team Dynamics rims) and a pair each for two Fusions - the upper part of the mezzanine in my garage is mostly for rims and tires LOL.

In terms of used steel rims you may find the 4x108 bolt pattern for the Focus a little more difficult to find as many on this board can attest to - and that's especially true of 16". If you find a set cheap, jump on them because they tend to sell fast. What you may find ... as I did many times over (I'm on my 8th Focus) - is that inexpensive alloy rims, even new ones, aren't much different in price than 16" steelies.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who is running with snows this winter? - ZTWsquared - 11-27-2010, 11:07 PM