Poll: Snow Tires this winter?
Yes, I run snow tires every year.
No, Toronto weather dosen't justify the expense.
Maybe, still on the fence.
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is running with snows this winter?
Ya know, it makes sense. Different strokes for different folks.

I use Michelin (über many sipes), soft rubber here in Saskatchewan. Our climate is cold and dry, very cold (when the temperature drops below -20°C, salt just does not "melt the ice") and with Alberta clippers we end up with glare ice on our highways (precipitation falls as rain and freezes on contact with the ground.)

It is to the credit of my tire dealer who first offered me the X-Ice for the year with the "can't lose offer" of giving me the tires I wanted, a set of studded winters if I was not convinced after the season of driving on the Michelins. (He won, I never switched back to studs, and yes they are that good, for me, out here.)

My last set of X-Ice lasted four winters and just under 100,000 kilometres (we have put over 200,000 kilometres on the car in four years. Summer tires are Plus One sized Michelin HydroEdge and have four summers, plus 2011 wear on them.)

But as I said in the first line, if I lived where the temperature rarely drops below -20°C, and where you get a metre of snow in one week, my choice might be for harder rubber, with deeper treads.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who is running with snows this winter? - SVT-WGN - 12-22-2010, 12:04 AM