Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting To Lose Patience With Furd
I'll make a point here related to Ray's first post. I speak from experience about bringing a car from the west coast of Canada (BC) to central Canada (ON).

As most of you all recall my dad and I bought a 1966 vintage Ford Mustang coupe in Kelowna, and brought it back to Brampton. The Car was sold New there and spent all it's life out there until last year. The car was put away for the winter here in Ontario, in a garage and covered until mid march.

When we brought the car out of hiding there was rust all over the carom bumpers, door handles, and in the trunk, not to mention a moisture build up in both the interior, and trunk. None fortunately under the car as my dad spent the money to have it undercoated before he put the car away.

In BC it very uncommon to buy any car out there and have it winterized or undercoated. BC uses no salt on any of it's roads or highways, it's why any car from out there will last for many many many years before rust even pops up on a car. I think I only saw one car there with minor rust on it and it was an old dinged up 1979 Honda Prelude with minor rust running along the trunk lid.

Realities of Ontario, Ontario uses the most road salt and sand in the country. If it even is forecasted of a possible snow fall, no matter how light it really is, the salt trucks are out in full force spreading salt all over everything. Cars in Ontario, wear out faster then any other province but New Found Land. One it's because of the huge population living here, the way your driving is a major factor too, commuting in traffic, and weather conditions all factor in the life of a car. It's more or less public knowledge that new & used cars sold in Ontario need under coating for winter use, and the same can be said for winter tires and such.

But speaking of NFLD, Cars there are undercoated new, and all new cars sold there is a 5 year no rusting promise. After that it's going to rust, no matter what car it is or what brand it is, but Saturn (gotta love those dint proof doors).

Getting back on topic though, CTV's W5 did another study into the used auto markets around Canada and again, All but 2 provinces got the fair rating, according to them. Alberta Got the Best Buy pick mainly because of their was only two out of thirty used car dealerships that failed. British Columbia Got the Worst, all but 1 dealership failed their tests. Vancouver rated the Worst city in Canada to buy a used or new car. Most of all the used cars in Vancouver had their Odometers rolled back thousands of kms, or were total Insurance write off's that were put back together and sold without the car's History being disclosed in the sale.

CTV's W5 went on to show a fully loaded 2001 Toyota Camary XLE that had funny yellow paint in area's that looked odd, ( in the mirror, under the hood, holes in the dash board, and a switch on the dash that didn't do anything when flipped ) was being marketed as a clean well kept car for $9900.00. The car turned out to be a former Vancouver Taxi, that was sold off with 686,000 kms on it, and was recovered by police 3 months earlier. It took CTV over a month to get the information on the car from the Province, And just minutes from using Carfax. When the story ended the host told people in BC look into that " deal " your actually getting, And buyer beware.

Ray Since you said you got the car used, did you get the car's history included in with documents ? and are you sure it's not a write off that was fixed and sold to you? and did you get it undercoated before it's first winter ?
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.

Messages In This Thread
Starting To Lose Patience With Furd - K_OS - 06-08-2005, 06:12 AM
Starting To Lose Patience With Furd - K_OS - 06-08-2005, 07:47 AM
Starting To Lose Patience With Furd - K_OS - 06-08-2005, 07:53 AM
Starting To Lose Patience With Furd - K_OS - 06-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Starting To Lose Patience With Furd - Frost__2001 - 06-10-2005, 01:01 AM