Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mbrp Opinions?
I too have the MBRP, and I will agree that the fit and finish is first rate, it made the stock zetec slightly more responsive at highway speeds, and yeah, it was a great price. In terms of tone? NO RICE WHATSOEVER. Actually, a freind of mine up here on the base has a Magnaflow, and with a stock airbox with a K&N and whatnot, it sounds more raspy than mine. Most people comment on how beefy the car sounds. It certainly sounds awesome combined with the CAI I have when at WOT in the first 3 gears...

I also think that the 2.25" exhaust would be fine...I mean, a lot of FI kits, whether they be SC or Turbo, are designed around a stock, or slightly larger than stock exhaust anyways...and unless you plan to dump 25+ psi into your engine, do you really need a big exhaust?

Just some thoughts
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
It's deep, it's mellow at light load, and it's nowhere near rice at WOT.

I can cruise at 3K RPMs and not worry about going deaf.

What's not to love?
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,May 3 2006, 02:25 PM Wrote:It's deep, it's mellow at light load, and it's nowhere near rice at WOT.

What's not to love?
[right][snapback]185043[/snapback][/right]

Is an exaust still loud on an auto-tragic?
ANTHONYD,May 3 2006, 03:21 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,May 3 2006, 02:25 PM Wrote:It's deep, it's mellow at light load, and it's nowhere near rice at WOT.

What's not to love?

[right][snapback]185080[/snapback][/right]

It would certainly be louder than the stock exhaust (Hell the Steeda CAI makes more than enough racket on my slushbox once I pass 3,500rpm or so ;))

NefCanuck
Its definatly loud when you stomp on it.. just cruising around town it's decently quiet.
At idle its only a touch louder than the stock exhaust.

As for how loud it can get, I was following my brother last night, and when i turned off O/D and gunned it.. he said he could hear it. And he was about 100ft in front of me (for a short while, anyways).

Much love for my MBRP though.. I get a lot of compliments on how nice it sounds, even from a couple of ricers and focus haters at work.
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
ANTHONYD,May 3 2006, 04:21 PM Wrote:

What's not to love?

[right][snapback]185080[/snapback][/right]

Above 4K it picks up some dBs, but what aftermarket doesn't? :D

I can cruise the 400 at 120 KM/H, just under 3K RPMs... and it's noticeable, but far from intrusive or annoying.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Drivesthebeast,Apr 29 2006, 01:29 AM Wrote:I also think that the 2.25" exhaust would be fine...I mean, a lot of FI kits, whether they be SC or Turbo, are designed around a stock, or slightly larger than stock exhaust anyways...and unless you plan to dump  25+ psi into your engine, do you really need a big exhaust? 

Just some thoughts
[right][snapback]184032[/snapback][/right]

Yes you do, ESPECIALLY with FI. Thats why Im saying stay away from MRBPPPRAP and go with 2.5" right away, ei; Borla.

Your kidding yourself if you think your done with power once you slap on a turbo, and adding a 2.5" exhaust right away is just doing it RIGHT the 1st time around. ;)
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,May 4 2006, 10:10 AM Wrote:
Drivesthebeast,Apr 29 2006, 01:29 AM Wrote:I also think that the 2.25" exhaust would be fine...I mean, a lot of FI kits, whether they be SC or Turbo, are designed around a stock, or slightly larger than stock exhaust anyways...and unless you plan to dump  25+ psi into your engine, do you really need a big exhaust? 

Just some thoughts
[right][snapback]184032[/snapback][/right]

Yes you do, ESPECIALLY with FI. Thats why Im saying stay away from MRBPPPRAP and go with 2.5" right away, ei; Borla.

Your kidding yourself if you think your done with power once you slap on a turbo, and adding a 2.5" exhaust right away is just doing it RIGHT the 1st time around. ;)
[right][snapback]185265[/snapback][/right]

if you want something cheaper than the borla. get the SVT version... its 2.5 pipe.
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
I think the 2.25" exhaust would be fine for low boost. I had a look at the dyno charts on Powerworks website for the focus force kit, and they ran it with a FS stealth exhaust and 91 octane. The FS stealth exhaust is 2.25".....what's wrong with that then?

Besides, MBRP is becoming the Token Exhaust for a majority of FC.net or ofoc.ca members...lol This is all Paolo's fault! He and his sweet-ass 1st gen inspired us to buy one too!
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
SVT MBRP exhaust are 2.5" and will fit ZX3's just fine.
you may be able to ask the guys at MBRP to make a special tail section for the seadn in 2.5".

also, even though Meford has graciously brought me up, sadly he is wrong once again. I do not have the best price on 2.5" flex pipes as i sadly do not even carry them.

I'm not the biggest fan of the sound of MBRP's i find that they drone alot at highway speeds.
I personnally like the sound of Magnaflow muffled focus'.

as a rough guide:
for FI you do not NEED a 2.5" exhaust.
2.25" is good for about 170fwhp before it becomes a restriction.
2.5" will start to show gains in the low 160s at extremely high rpms but really shows gains everywhere at above 185fwhp and is not a restriction untill around 250-270fwhp.
3" takes over on turbo cars at about 240fwhp if faster responce from the turbo is required and not suggested on SC'ed cars untill approaching 260-280fwhp...

this is all in reference when "complete" exhuats are used. ports back defines a complete exhaust.

oh and most companies do not design any form of FI around the stock exhaust, some use it on test mules but those kits are not designed around it.
I'll give MBRP a call about the tail section.

They're saying that the 2.3L is putting down between 225-245 fwhp, so it would probably go best with the 2.5".

That's with the FS Duratec Turbo kit, which I'm hoping I can get a great price on. (nudge, nudge Mitch :lol: )
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
I think Simos had the first MBRP for the focus...It is his car on their banner after all.
OAC_Sparky,May 12 2006, 08:16 AM Wrote:I'll give MBRP a call about the tail section.

They're saying that the 2.3L is putting down between 225-245 fwhp, so it would probably go best with the 2.5".

That's with the FS Duratec Turbo kit, which I'm hoping I can get a great price on. (nudge, nudge Mitch :lol: )
[right][snapback]187011[/snapback][/right]

MBRP says no to the custom tail. <_<
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
any decent performance shop could weld in an extra foot or so of SS 2.5" tubing.
hell, if you take the car to the guys at MBRP they might do it for a big case of beer...
I anyone is iterested I am heading up there to get my exhaust while on vacation in 2 weeks.

pm me
Flying through the twisties
SUNDOWN