Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wagon Drop And Stop Upgrades Part 1 - The Drop
This weekend, I finally got around to installing the H+R coilover kit that I bought in September of '04. Here's a pic of the final result: [Image: 2007FocursDropandStop-0023_1.jpg]

Rest of the pics can be found here: http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/ima...20-%20Part%201/

Up next, the stop upgrades: BAT big brake kit up front and BAT rear disc conversion on the back (also waiting since '04).
Old Ride: 2001 Malibu Blue MTX Street Edition Wagon
New Ride: 2010 Mocha Brown MT 2.0T Passat Wagon
Looks good man. I'm doing a 1.6" drop with KW springs. On a difficulty scale 1 being easy and 10 being hard what would you rate this mod?
O3 ZX3: Drl-to-drf Mod, Racing mirrors, Shorty antenna, B&M short shifter, Focus Sport 4-1 race header, Focus Sport front strut stabilizer, MBRP cat back, RaceCraft springs, Eibach Pro dampners and struts, RaceCraft 25mm rear stabilizer, Hella lights, Core Racing 17"s.
VF Supercharger Kit (Stage 2)

"I usually don't do this type of work." "I thought you were a professional driver?" "A different kind of driving.".
SmokeBCBuDZ,Mar 26 2007, 08:05 PM Wrote:Looks good man. I'm doing a 1.6" drop with KW springs. On a difficulty scale 1 being easy and 10 being hard what would you rate this mod?
[right][snapback]232085[/snapback][/right]

Probably between 6 and 7. Fortunately, there were no stuck bolts. The biggest headache we had was with the spring compressors borrowed from Crappy Tire. They just never seemed to fit where we needed them, so it took a bit of maneuvering to get the springs compressed.
Looks great man, nice job.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Yeah I am thinking of doing it myself too so I was going to rent the compressor from Canadian Tire too. Kinda nervous about it. But I did the header so I think I can handle the suspension.
O3 ZX3: Drl-to-drf Mod, Racing mirrors, Shorty antenna, B&M short shifter, Focus Sport 4-1 race header, Focus Sport front strut stabilizer, MBRP cat back, RaceCraft springs, Eibach Pro dampners and struts, RaceCraft 25mm rear stabilizer, Hella lights, Core Racing 17"s.
VF Supercharger Kit (Stage 2)

"I usually don't do this type of work." "I thought you were a professional driver?" "A different kind of driving.".
Love coilover, nice even drop!
JMS US spec front lip, Rieger R-RX side skirts, Rieger R-RX rear apron, European rear bumper, European tail lights, RPMlabs grill, Painted side mirrors cover, H4 HID kit, Lamin-X yellow fogs, shorty antenna, Loder1899 replica rear spoiler, weathertech window delfector, Injen short ram air box, FC UDP pulley, FC 65mm TB, Focussport race header, Focussport flex, magnaflow hi-flow cat, MBRP catback, SCT Xcal2, ford racing spark plug wire, Tein S-tech, FK Damper kit, Eibach rear camber kit, Focussport strut bar, Painted valve cover, TeamDynamic pro race 1.2 17", Kumho SPT 205/45/17, Hawk HP, brembo blank rotors, Russell SS brakelines, Motul dot 5.1, Recaro replica seats on Recaro seat base, KKM shift surround, In-dash 7" DVD player, Tein Damper-chi doll!!
Nice work, and I love the brake upgrade idea. Well done!
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Low sporty wagons make me happy :)

*thumbs up*
i just bought a strut spring compressor from Princess Auto for 20$, and it worked perfectly. you guys got Princess Auto out east right?

alone i swapped my suspension this weekend in 7 hrs., its not too hard if you've done it before. If you havent be sure to follow a how-to. you dont wanna screw up with springs in compression.

and i like the low wagons they look great, you dont see many
'04 liquid grey ZX3 - my FSP auto-x car
'02 infra-red SVT  - my street car, now for sale
Hi, I have a 01 station wagon. I am just wondering what kinda spring compressor do you use? The one i have has hooks on both end of the center bar. when I compress them all the way in, the spring is still not short enough to get out.

I also tried the one that compress on both side of the spring and it's very hard to get compression while the bar is not block by the lower arm...

please give me a pointer. thank!
looks good!
+1 for liking the Street wagon drop. Looks good!

Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
Looks good!
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
awang44,May 22 2007, 04:27 PM Wrote:Hi, I have a 01 station wagon. I am just wondering what kinda spring compressor do you use? The one i have has hooks on both end of the center bar.  when I compress them all the way in, the spring is still not short enough to get out.

I also tried the one that compress on both side of the spring and it's very hard to get compression while the bar is not block by the lower arm...

please give me a pointer. thank!
[right][snapback]239274[/snapback][/right]
We used the spring compressors that are available from the Canadian Tire loan-a-tool program. Sounds similar to the one you have. And yes, we had similar problems to what your describing, especially on the back. Once we had compressed the spring as far as we could, we muscled it out. It wasn't pretty, but it worked.

Once we had them out, we had a much easier time putting in the new springs, as we could set the height adjusters all the way down, put the springs in, and then move the adjusters up to the desired ride height (all the way up in my case).

Ivan MacKenzie.
You'll like the upgrade. I noticed less body roll? or shift on on/off ramps after changing out the stock suspension on my wagon.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vogtland Drop Pictures .. zx5power 34 9,757 01-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Last Post: naz
  Drop Now Outta Specs zx5power 4 1,853 01-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Last Post: zx5power
  Wagon Drop And Stop Upgrades Part 2 - The Stop imack 9 2,811 04-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Last Post: imack
  Gas Mileage Drop With Short Ram Krusty Driver 10 2,362 02-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Last Post: NefCanuck
  Install A Drop Kit! Help! Ottawa Region... focusonthis88 13 3,080 04-11-2005, 11:48 AM
Last Post: BerinG
  Still Not Happy With My Drop. ZX3TUNR 12 3,655 04-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Last Post: naz