Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Rpms Jumping All Weird.
My Rpm's are jumping all weird when im accelerating and the car's noisier than usual. I changed my spark plugs and wires not to long ago and today I had new tires put on so the seals should be good but i'm still getting a bit of vibration.

Do I need new Fuel injectors?

Do you have a CEL Light? if so, it could be a PFE, otherwies, I have no idea man... :unsure: :unsure:
My other ride is your Mom
paolo,Apr 22 2010, 05:32 PM Wrote:Do you have a CEL Light? if so, it could be a PFE,  otherwies, I have no idea man...  :unsure:  :unsure:
[right][snapback]305709[/snapback][/right]

not sure what that is, but none of the engine lights are on the dash.

TPS
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
OAC_Sparky,Apr 22 2010, 08:22 PM Wrote:TPS
[right][snapback]305715[/snapback][/right]

are those easy to install?
tps would have been my 2nd guess
paolo,Apr 23 2010, 12:57 PM Wrote:tps would have been my 2nd guess
[right][snapback]305753[/snapback][/right]

I was quoted 32 bucks for one TPS at Part source today.
Focus-SE,Apr 23 2010, 05: Wrote:I was quoted 32 bucks for one TPS at Part source today.
[right][snapback]305778[/snapback][/right]

thats like 1/4 of what ford charges, no?
Quote:thats like 1/4 of what ford charges, no?
[right][snapback]305783[/snapback][/right]

probably Ford dealerships here charge an arm and a leg for parts.
get ready to start cutting off your limbs bro. :P :P
[Image: tpso.jpg]

is this where TPS is located?

Paolo forgot to mention.. Just yesterday I was climbing up the escarpment and the yellow light with the exclamation point went on, then when i got to the top 5 minutes later.. the light went off.
The TPS is where the throttle cable attaches to the throttlebody (top left corner of the "P").

The area that you are highlighting in the picture is the MAF.

The jumping idle can also be caused by a vacuum leak, faulty wires connecting to the MAF, faulty IAC valve, or many other reasons.

Before you start replacing every part, check for a vacuum leak first.
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
The Yellow light with the Exclamation mark POSSIBLY could mean a cooloant system leak or a warning the engine temp is too high? I had that happen to me once, i was lucky, turned off the car, let it cool off, i was oly 5 mins away, so when i started her up again, i made it home safely before the temp could rise too high.. took it in to ford in the am, they fixed her up good.
The (!) mark also indicates an automatic trans axle problem AND cooling issue. In my SVT, if i dont start it first try, that lil bastered pops up lol
sonic_mikey,Apr 27 2010, 05:22 PM Wrote:The (!) mark also indicates an automatic trans axle problem AND cooling issue. In my SVT, if i dont start it first try, that lil bastered pops up lol
[right][snapback]305986[/snapback][/right]

so this means I have two problems.

with the cooling and the air
Well I didn't seem to find any vacuum leak so I decided to start figuring what the hell's wrong by starting with the tps.

[Image: hpim1741.jpg]

now from the picture, there doesn't seem to be anything physically wrong with the tps..

I went down to canadiantire, they didnt have a throttle position sensor
so I go to partsource.. they ended up giving me the wrong throttle sensor.. (didn't fit) so I go back the guy i dealt with wasn't there at the counter, so the other guy apologized gave me a refund and told me it wasnt in stock.
So I go to another Canadian tire.. they tell me the previous location I went to was the only one in Hamilton with one in stock.. which was ridiculous cause they told me they didn't have any..

by the time all of this happened it was too late to call the dealerships for a price quote.. both crappy tire and part source quoted me 70-75 for the TPS.. the wrong one I bought today was 35 bucks.. god knows what the dealership wants..
(05-04-2010, 01:13 PM)Focus-SE Wrote: Well I didn't seem to find any vacuum leak so I decided to start figuring what the hell's wrong by starting with the tps.

[Image: hpim1741.jpg]

now from the picture, there doesn't seem to be anything physically wrong with the tps..

I went down to canadiantire, they didnt have a throttle position sensor
so I go to partsource.. they ended up giving me the wrong throttle sensor.. (didn't fit) so I go back the guy i dealt with wasn't there at the counter, so the other guy apologized gave me a refund and told me it wasnt in stock.
So I go to another Canadian tire.. they tell me the previous location I went to was the only one in Hamilton with one in stock.. which was ridiculous cause they told me they didn't have any..

by the time all of this happened it was too late to call the dealerships for a price quote.. both crappy tire and part source quoted me 70-75 for the TPS.. the wrong one I bought today was 35 bucks.. god knows what the dealership wants..
There is a test method to check the TPS before you replace it. I'll try to find the prcedure and post it.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
i'd check for a vacuum leak 1st also. There is the wires going to your coil pack that be be brittle and causing you the same issues. The coil pack is the box where your plug wires plug into. Check the connector in front of it. Pull the it out and inspect the wires....

This is what mine looked like when I was having issues:

[Image: DSCF1693.jpg]
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
k thanks, I'll give the coil pack a look over before I go out buying anything