Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focussport/vf Engineering S/c

I dont see the heat being a major problem. The FMAX kit is designed worse for heat soak issues. :huh:
[right][snapback]111940[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
*The FMAX kit is intercooled B)
Got dynoed today. My A/F was way way way off with focussports tune. I DaSilva was good enough to give me a safe tune to get my A/F down to 12, instead of the 16 I was reading before.

With their safer tune I got 144hp/139ft-lb @ 6000rpm. The dyno was a little rough after 4000rpm, they recommended I go .035 gap on my plugs and that should clean it up a little. Probably make some more power too. I'm running .045 right now.

As soon as my racing header is in i'll go back for another dyno and see what she pulls then. I'm working with focussport now to try and find out why my tune was so far off....
What's you're ecu code? Did Randy have an existing tune for it?
hardk0re,Jun 2 2005, 03:29 PM Wrote:Got dynoed today.  My A/F was way way way off with focussports tune.  I DaSilva was good enough to give me a safe tune to get my A/F down to 12, instead of the 16 I was reading before.

With their safer tune I got 144hp/139ft-lb @ 6000rpm.  The dyno was a little rough after 4000rpm, they recommended I go .035 gap on my plugs and that should clean it up a little.  Probably make some more power too.  I'm running .045 right now.

As soon as my racing header is in i'll go back for another dyno and see what she pulls then.  I'm working with focussport now to try and find out why my tune was so far off....
[right][snapback]112255[/snapback][/right]

I would love to know what changes dasylva made... are you running 1step colder plugs?

I found that with a decent tune, (and running the 9psi vortech HO kit), a .045 gap is sufficient for me.. but with the vortech tune and stock plugs, I had to run .030 to eliminate stumbling on acceleration..

too bad you couldn't datalog the MAF counts and RPM and wideband O2 while at the dyno... that info alone would have been sufficient to get the focussport tune fixed up, and a lot better for the full range of the MAF than the limited amount we can datalog in closed loop and short term trims.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

I was running 1 step colder plugs and I dont know what dasilva did. After speaking with Randy i've put back their tune because he is very certain that his tune is good.

He gave me a few things to check out, like perhaps my TPS is off. I'll be able to find that out when I datalog.

He also said an exhaust leak could cause me some grief, as well as a messed up cat could also cause me some problems. My cat looked fine before I added the S/C but it could still be screwed.

I'm going to get the program hopefully from DaSilva to find out what they did so I can send it to focussport. At this point I really wish I had a raptor so I could do some datalogging to figure out my problem.

Until then I guess its time to drive the beater until I get this stuff figured out, thank god for the beater.....

Once I get maybe a new tune from focussport I'll head back to the dyno.....
Was there something that lead you to believe the air/fuel was off? The tunes I got from Randy are for the LFQ0 ecu code which "BUR_ZX3 " on FJ has as well. The only issue I've noticed with my install is a slight surging when I let off the throttle but it goes away again one I step on the gas again. I think it might have to do with the diverter valve being mounted as per the FS instruction which is essentially backwards.

My plugs are still gapped to stock, should that be different?
DaSilva had it on the dyno reading A/F and the A/F was not correct. I was way too high.

I found when checking the oneway valve on the pcv line that the clamps weren't holding. I had to replace them with worm clamps. I could hear the sucking of air when putting my hand on it...even over the S/C so i'm sure this wasn't a good leak. I've also removed my boost gauge for now due to the crap hoses and will reconnect once I get some real vac. tubing.

are we still doing datalogging tonight?

Yes Sir.

I fixed a few issues I found lastnight including my Boost Gauge, put in the high octaine program again and drove it around for a bit. My boost gauge looked much more responsive, before it was kinda slugish (vac leak...)

It seems to pull allot better now and I see i'm hitting boost allot sooner. I'm still not 100% sure i'm safe so I still need to log it and send it to randy for a quick evaluation.
How much boost does the stage 1 kit produce ?
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
scoobasteve,Jun 3 2005, 03:56 PM Wrote:How much boost does the stage 1 kit produce ?
[right][snapback]112474[/snapback][/right]

7psi.
Why would you put a super lean tune back in your car, any leaks you have would make a rich condition not lean

No 2 cars are the same so to say the tune fs has is right over the one done on the dyno is insane

And the comment about the filter located where it is is very correct reguardless of the speed the car is moving you ARE sucking in heated air . where do you think the air from the Raid is going , and from the engine and trans , it all gets caught under the hood with the cooler incoming air , it isnt like you are pulling in 85 deg air on a 85 deg day

Take that with all the other hoses ON TOP of the engine where the heat is even worse and ill bet on a 85 deg day with doing 2 to 3 hard pulls back to back you will see 110 to 130 air inlet temp , now when this happens the ECU sees the air intake charge temp and allowes for that in the timing so there is no deto , the problem is at those AIT`s the ECU will pull 18 to 24 Deg of timing , the pulled timing with the super heated AIT will take your power to about 120 at the wheels thats about where you would be with a just a few boltons

You will get a better idea what im talking about when it gets colder or a lot hotter where you are

Tom
DAMN!!! THats sick yo!!
For the tune, I simply think that the dyno operator had no clue what they were doing. Their A/F meter looked like they got it out of a scrap yard.

I'm driving my car easy until I get a datalogger and my own A/F gauge in my hands.

As for the air, its going to get as hot as any other non intercooled s/c. IE: Jackson S/C. This is only stage 1, there is some tweaking to be done....

Bah, Tom likes to big down.

You'll be ok with this for a while, then you'll find a way to make it different.

I can see just making a Cold Air Box around the filter and running cold air feed to it would help.
Jays2000ZX3,Jun 8 2005, 11:30 AM Wrote:Bah, Tom likes to big down.

You'll be ok with this for a while, then you'll find a way to make it different.

I can see just making a Cold Air Box around the filter and running cold air feed to it would help.
[right][snapback]113357[/snapback][/right]

can you say 'hoodscoop'?

hardk0re,Jun 8 2005, 05:09 AM Wrote:As for the air, its going to get as hot as any other non intercooled s/c.  IE: Jackson S/C.
[right][snapback]113320[/snapback][/right]

Or the Powerworks....
Yep, same intake location...but I think the powerworks setup is intercooled....of course its about twice as much as the focussport one....

An intercooler for this setup should be available soon from vf/focussport if their testing goes well :D
I like the look of that kit.

So different. :o
hardk0re,Jun 8 2005, 11:59 AM Wrote:Yep, same intake location...but I think the powerworks setup is intercooled....of course its about twice as much as the focussport one....

An intercooler for this setup should be available soon from vf/focussport if their testing goes well  :D
[right][snapback]113392[/snapback][/right]

That's why I liked the FS kit, the price of admission was much less than that of the Powerworks or Procharger. I'm sure when all the stages are released for the FS kit that the prices will be similar but at least it's the buyers choice how much they ultimately want to spend.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Focussport/vf Engineering S/c - Intercooler 56k No hardk0re 15 4,719 07-24-2005, 01:36 AM
Last Post: Euro Ford Fan
  Focussport/vf Engineering S/c hardk0re 9 2,521 06-02-2005, 10:24 AM
Last Post: ZX3 Canuck