Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playstation 3 Release Slated For November
Been debating whether to post this all morning, but as some of you gamers may know, March 15 was a big press day in Japan for Sony.

Among PSP and PS2 details, they've finally set a release date for release of the PS3.. which, as recently implied by namco will be in November.

Final Development kits will be available in June and going on sale to 3rd party developers in July (a little late for a spring release IMO).

Some other PS3 developments.
- the PS3 will have an online service akin to xbox Live, only the basic service will be free
- developers are told to develop with a 60GB HDD in mind
- games should be bootable by the hdd, and it should support linux
- all games will be published to blue-ray, no intermediate step here

the online component will feature much of the xbox live's feature set..
Communication/Community:
Voice/Video chat
Messaging
Lobby/Matchmaking
Score/Ranking
Friend list/Avatar
Game data upload/download

Commerce:
Shop (accessible from inside games)
Content Download
Micro Payment
Subscription
Entitlement (user access rights) management

Account:
User Registration
Login ID/Handling of name issues
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

It's about time... the 360 needs some competition.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
hmmmm.... interesting.... Maybe I'll actually buy a console for the first time in like 10 years.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Well... at least my PS2 will keep me occupied till then.

Is it still backwards compatible with PS2/PS games?
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Mar 15 2006, 10:27 AM Wrote:Well... at least my PS2 will keep me occupied till then.

Is it still backwards compatible with PS2/PS games?
[right][snapback]174917[/snapback][/right]

it'll be backwards compatible, but I have a feeling it's going to be a lot of software emulation like the xbox 360.

it was easy to do in the PS2.. they just used the PS ONE processor as the controller chip. I don't think the PS3 will be packaging all the hardware of the PS2 into the PS3 this time around.

and considering the sell-through numbers and the xbox 360's meager production numbers, the PS3 will have nearly 3 times the number of units available at launch than MS has made available all year -- ok, not quite that many, but if they meet their projected numbers, they'll actually pass xbox at launch.

i'll be making the decision after i can play the PS3.
'03 Focus SVT
I'll certainly look at it, but buying it fresh when it comes out? Fhht... screw that crap. There won't be one PS3 launch title that'll make me fork out $500+ for the unit, believe it <_<

NefCanuck
I'll pick one up even if just to warm that corner of the living room.

Just in time for Christmas.... What a coincidence :rolleyes:
[Image: 860doigiveadamn2yy.gif]

Prolly Is not a word
I want it now!!! Can't wait t'ill it comes out!
Turbo arrived!
they say it will cost less to buy a ps3 than it will to buy those new blue ray dvd players, and ps3 plays blu ray.
My other ride is your Mom
paolo,Mar 15 2006, 08:01 PM Wrote:they say it will cost less to buy a ps3 than it will to buy those new blue ray dvd players, and ps3 plays blu ray.
[right][snapback]175072[/snapback][/right]

the problem is that the blue ray players will have things such as better buffering, error correction, and/or audio & video features than what the PS3 will likely have... it's like the PS2.. plays DVDs, but the optical out only outputs Dolby Prologic, not DTS or 5.1.

Ill just rent the PS3 from my work for free...and if i really like it. Maybe ill but one. Im gonna wait until i get a HD TV tho and surround sound. Otherwards its no fun.
I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...
darkpuppet,Mar 16 2006, 11:31 AM Wrote:
paolo,Mar 15 2006, 08:01 PM Wrote:they say it will cost less to buy a ps3 than it will to buy those new blue ray dvd players, and ps3 plays blu ray.
[right][snapback]175072[/snapback][/right]

the problem is that the blue ray players will have things such as better buffering, error correction, and/or audio & video features than what the PS3 will likely have... it's like the PS2.. plays DVDs, but the optical out only outputs Dolby Prologic, not DTS or 5.1.
[right][snapback]175184[/snapback][/right]

I hope there's DTS 5.1 at least in the next one. DTS is super-smooth for movies.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
this ranks up there with the fact that KY has a smoother less irrateing formula for all the guys that just can't get enough of jerking off or captin Kirk :lol:
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
Huh?

i think that was the first post hes had that had less then 4 spelling mistakes, and was pretty close to making sense.

Looks like someone stayed sober tonight!
I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...
FociPhil,Mar 17 2006, 11:22 AM Wrote:i think that was the first post hes had that had less then 4 spelling mistakes, and was pretty close to making sense.

Looks like someone stayed sober tonight!
[right][snapback]175436[/snapback][/right]
]

I'm damn impressed... Bravo Don... Bravo :lol:
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
*ahem* back on topic... more geek talk!

The new "viewing mechanism" dictates that I attempt to connect the PS2 in a high-def format.

Has anyone ever connected their PS2 and run it in a true hi-def format? IE GT4 and 480p or 1080i?