Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
K&n Cone On A Stock Snorkle?
ok, i was reading a thread on another focus forum and they were talking about using the stock snorkle with a k&N cone attached... my question is... if they did this did they bother to think about the vacuum house attached to the breather box? and if they did...what did they do with it. i see the aem has a connection for the hose...

not that i want to do this it just sparked my attention to this little discrepancy
Silver 2000 zx3: Cai w/ K&n X-Stream filter, Steeda Wires (blue), Ngk plugs, Steeda Badges, Carbon taillights, Tint 20/30, blue glow And steeda Springs sirius sat radio, 2.5" Custom mandrel bent catback
The cone is added with another piece of pipe as a coupling between the stock hose and new cone, so the maf and breather remain in the stock locations. All that is different, is the box is removed and replaced with a cone. It works, but purchasing a proper kit is the better way to go.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
ya? but what do they do with the vacuum line going from the valve cover to the air box once they remove it?
Silver 2000 zx3: Cai w/ K&n X-Stream filter, Steeda Wires (blue), Ngk plugs, Steeda Badges, Carbon taillights, Tint 20/30, blue glow And steeda Springs sirius sat radio, 2.5" Custom mandrel bent catback
Some intakes botch it and place the line after the MAF, which screws with the actual airflow. Some place it prior to, which works as intended except that you lose the filtration on the line (potentially) or introduce a blocking surface into the intake (possibly).

A third idea is to filter it to the outside air in the engine bay via an APC or other filter. I've done this in the past, but it's kind of unclear as to whether this is completely legal. It doesn't piss with your airflow to the engine after the MAF, but it doesn't preserve the closed-circuit design of the original intake. I once had an idea to plumb it into a pre-MAF area and custom-cutting the foam filter to fit within the breather itself (retaining the circuit and the filtration), but I never got around to it.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
SliverSteeda,Dec 5 2006, 01:38 PM Wrote:ya? but what do they do with the vacuum line going from the valve cover to the air box once they remove it?
[right][snapback]218728[/snapback][/right]

By using a breather.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
euro_zx5,Dec 5 2006, 03:33 PM Wrote:
SliverSteeda,Dec 5 2006, 01:38 PM Wrote:ya? but what do they do with the vacuum line going from the valve cover to the air box once they remove it?
[right][snapback]218728[/snapback][/right]

By using a breather.
[right][snapback]218751[/snapback][/right]

or and oil catch tank...

i have one kickin around... bought it and got the wrong colour. It's blue i ordered chrome

at least i think it would work :unsure:
2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
I just got the stock air box from a SVT I did see a little bit of improvement...
If you have a duratec, the top box is just a noise dampener and there are no lines attached to it. I think that is the post you are speaking of.
[Image: style2,duratec-spc-power.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  K&n Cone On Stock Tubing? kasloklown 8 2,173 08-11-2004, 12:46 AM
Last Post: kasloklown