Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seizing Brake Caliper / Piston?
I have a 2006 Focus ZXW with 33K kms.

On the hwy, the steering started vibrating above 100 km/h. Then it went away and came back periodically. Felt like balancing of the tire but that cant just go away.

So I jacked the front up and found the front-right wheel is stiff when spinning it. It won't spin freely (in neutral).

So the caliper is dragging. I guess it's the slider bolts or the piston stuck?

Is this a common problem? I guess I should lube the slider bolts and try again?
Does the brake rotor look like it has had a lot of heat put to it? If not, it may also be the wheel bearing. A stuck caliper won't cause vibrations.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Focus man, Focus.,Apr 9 2009, 12:00 PM Wrote:Does the brake rotor look like it has had a lot of heat put to it? If not, it may also be the wheel bearing.  A stuck caliper won't cause vibrations.
[right][snapback]284674[/snapback][/right]

Doesn't look heat affected. I would think Wheel bearing would be more of a grinding and would not come and go. And I was in the middle of driving 60kms hwy when this was occurring. Bearings go fast and get worse in symptoms, no?

When I spun the wheel jacked, it had the grabby stiff feel exactly like as if the brake pads where holding it a bit.
Nutella,Apr 9 2009, 11:34 AM Wrote:I have a 2006 Focus ZXW with 33K kms.

On the hwy, the steering started vibrating above 100 km/h.  Then it went away and came back periodically.  Felt like balancing of the tire but that cant just go away.

So I jacked the front up and found the front-right wheel is stiff when spinning it. It won't spin freely (in neutral). 

So the caliper is dragging.  I guess it's the slider bolts or the piston stuck?

Is this a common problem?  I guess I should lube the slider bolts and try again?

[right][snapback]284673[/snapback][/right]
If you tried to turn the wheel (jacked up ) and it didn't turn freely it's got to be because either the caliper's piston doesn't return properly , or like you said the slider bolts are not allowing the caliper to move easily . Also if the pads are worn out , sometimes the piston goes too far out and won't return .But in either case , the pads will rub continuously against the rotor , that could warp because of the heat , even if it won't go as far as having smoking or overheating to make the bearing seize . Anyway , It seems to me that Ford installs poor quality rotors . It happened on my '96 Windstar and I had to turn the rotors several times and I have now the same problem with the '06 E-250 with just 30k on .
Gabriel,Apr 9 2009, 02:23 PM Wrote:

On the hwy, the steering started vibrating above 100 km/h.  Then it went away and came back periodically.  Felt like balancing of the tire but that cant just go away.

Is this a common problem?  I guess I should lube the slider bolts and try again?

If you tried to turn the wheel (jacked up ) and it didn't turn freely it's got to be because either the caliper's piston doesn't return properly , or like you said the slider bolts are not allowing the caliper to move easily . Also if the pads are worn out , sometimes the piston goes too far out and won't return .But in either case , the pads will rub continuously against the rotor , that could warp because of the heat , even if it won't go as far as having smoking or overheating to make the bearing seize . Anyway , It seems to me that Ford installs poor quality rotors . It happened on my '96 Windstar and I had to turn the rotors several times and I have now the same problem with the '06 E-250 with just 30k on .
[right][snapback]284687[/snapback][/right]

Pads are fine as this problem just started recently and there is only 33K. I hope its not bearing or piston. My first guess is the sliders which I have to check and lube.

I tried to remove the caliper but didnt have 7mm hex, which I believe is what I need
Nutella,Apr 9 2009, 02:54 PM Wrote:
Gabriel,Apr 9 2009, 02:23 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]284687[/snapback][/right]

Pads are fine as this problem just started recently and there is only 33K. I hope its not bearing or piston. My first guess is the sliders which I have to check and lube.

I tried to remove the caliper but didnt have 7mm hex, which I believe is what I need
[right][snapback]284689[/snapback][/right]
if the problem is persisting , machine the rotors , i'm pretty sure it will help...
to check the bearing , remove the brake pads , but leave the wheel on and turn it , it should have play or a certain grinding sound , but my feel says it's not the bearing ... just an opinion
Gabriel,Apr 9 2009, 03:25 PM Wrote:if the problem is persisting , machine the rotors  , i'm pretty sure it will help...
to check the bearing , remove the brake pads , but leave the wheel on and turn it , it should have play or a certain grinding sound , but my feel says it's not the bearing ... just an opinion

Yeah I'll check this. But machining is not cheap anymore. It's almost better to get new rotors.
Nutella,Apr 9 2009, 03:47 PM Wrote:[quote=Gabriel,Apr 9 2009, 03:25 PM]if the problem is persisting , machine the rotors  , i'm pretty sure it will help...

Yeah I'll check this. But machining is not cheap anymore. It's almost better to get new rotors.
[right][snapback]284695[/snapback][/right]
[/quot
My mechanic did it pretty cheap , I can give you his phone # if you want and check with him . He's on Keele St between Finch and Steeles . But if you buy new ones buy aftermarket , I have Powerslot slotted , teamed with ceramic pads , never had any trouble and I used them on track too
Dealer checked it. Found it was indeed the caliper seized, they are replacing it under warranty. it expires next week!
The piston was seized, or the slide pins were seized?

Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should I Lube Brake Caliper Bolts? Nutella 1 994 11-27-2007, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Flofocus